logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
curtismacd31  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2016 2:58:27 PM(UTC)
curtismacd31

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Hi All,

Figured I would share a project a had the great fortune of doing over this past weekend. I was approached by an arena to provide video coverage of an NHL PreSeason game. I gave them 2 cameras with instant replay using vMix. the SDI output latency was a bit of an issue for myself but didn't bother them because all their video to their board has processing latency.

I used a Dell Alienware 15 R2 laptop with a 6th gen i7 cpu and an nVidia 970M graphics card. I installed a 500gb SSD for the replays and it worked perfectly. For capture I used a Startech USB-C to Thunderbolt adapter which I attached an Akitio Thunderbolt 2 PCIe enclosure with a Blackmagic Decklink Quad2 using 2 SDI inputs and 1 SDI output.

Everything ran very smooth and looked very nice. The scoreboard only accepts analog signals so I shot everything in 1080i59.94 then used an SDI to Analog converter to give them a feed. Below is a quick picture.

vMix was rock solid for the whole day.

https://www.dropbox.com/...20161003_112538.jpg?dl=0
thanks 2 users thanked curtismacd31 for this useful post.
vmixsupport on 10/4/2016(UTC), Stavlin on 10/5/2016(UTC)
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2016 4:38:10 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
Very cool!
Thanks for sharing curtismac31.
Was there any other television coverage provided (NHL Network/SportsNet) or were you pretty much it?
Seems odd that a "Big League" event would settle for just 2 cams, but then again, sometimes the politics behind that sort of thing can be mind boggling.
Glad you could put on a good show with vMix.

Ice
curtismacd31  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2016 5:11:01 PM(UTC)
curtismacd31

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 8 post(s)

From what I was told Sportsnet/Rogers was suppose to carry the game and then backed out the week of. Originally they only wanted 1 SD camera being sent straight to the "audio" room. I convinced them 2 HD cameras and instant replays would add a lot to the overall in-house feel to the game. After the game they were very happy with it. It was very exciting to work on something like that especially with vMix.

Oh I also forgot to add I used an xKeys XK24 to control pretty much everything I was doing.
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 4, 2016 5:47:10 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ curtismac31

So I take it the Arena has no "production" equipment of it's own to feed the "Jumbotron" but rely on providers to supply the internal feed to the big screen and/or in house screens?
Perhaps someone's eyes have been opened after your successful production demonstration with vMix's capabilities...
In any event, job well done!

Ice