logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SHMD  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 1, 2016 8:18:20 AM(UTC)
SHMD

Groups: Registered
Canada

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 31 post(s)
I have been professionally broadcasting live events to the internet for the past 5 years and just recently I was asked to help out my son's local highschool.
They needed help developing a system that could stream some of their sports to Facebook to help build some school spirit and also allow parents and students to watch the games live online or at a later time.
The school has very limited equipment and next to no budget, so I set them up with a basic i5 PC running Vmix with one BM Decklink card.
The football game setup was basic with one wide camera and a virtual camera zoomed in a little to offer a little switching of shots.

They pulled off a great first attempt with a little help and thanks to Vmix it worked for 1 hour and 36 minutes without a single hiccup. They even managed to catch and roll replays.

https://www.facebook.com...videos/1125110910858551/

I look forward to helping the schools Media Arts Program grow streaming so they can offer more students a chance to learn the art of streaming live.

I am sure they will go forward with Vmix now that they have seen how well it works on a basic PC build and the students figured out the software pretty fast.

-sheldon
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 1, 2016 11:04:16 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ SHMD

Thanks for sharing Sheldon.
Looks like you did a great job in setting them up as it was a very good "first attempt"!
I especially liked the custom graphics and stinger (not something newbies usually have at the outset).
The play-by-play commentators obviously need to brush up on their knowledge of the game but will undoubtedly get better as the season progresses.
I am also curious as to the set-up, in particular, access to power and internet (looks like you were on the opposite side of the field from the school), and the size of the crew involved, it's definitely a great start for the Media Arts Program and now that they see what's possible with vMix, it's likely to grow in leaps and bounds.

Ice
SHMD  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 1, 2016 11:30:59 AM(UTC)
SHMD

Canada

Was thanked: 52 time(s) in 31 post(s)
IceStream wrote:
@ SHMD

I am also curious as to the set-up, in particular, access to power and internet (looks like you were on the opposite side of the field from the school), and the size of the crew involved, it's definitely a great start for the Media Arts Program and now that they see what's possible with vMix, it's likely to grow in leaps and bounds.

Ice

Hello Ice,
The commentators found out a few minutes before the game went live that they would be talking about football for an hour and a half. I was great to see a few students step up that don't even play sports and give it a try. I am sure the whole program will step it up as time passes as they seemed to enjoy doing this. One thing with live broadcasting of any time - go time is go time!
Our crew was a couple student camera operators recording for the local community cable TV company into a BM ATEM setup. The cable company could only provide us with one wide camera feed. We had another student doing the switching on vmix and updating the score and grabbing replays for the live feed and also another one doing the basic switching (No replays or graphics) on the ATEM system for cable broadcast later this month sometime.
Our power came from a gas generator and the internet was from an LTE hotspot off my phone as we had issues trying to connect through the school vpn, which we will work out for the next game.

-s

IceStream  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 1, 2016 7:38:11 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ SHMD

I'm not all that familiar with Cogeco's policies, but I am somewhat surprised they would supply you with any feed at all for "Live Streaming" yourself.
Any of my experience with Rogers is that they are very "proprietary" and non-cooperative when it comes to footage produced by "them" for your own purposes like social media and streaming.
And forget the networks, they won't even allow you on the property with any kind of recording equipment, but that's a whole other ballgame...
My boys are all done with their football years (they had a good run over the years) but there is quite a stark difference south of the boarder and how they do things there. I was fortunate enough to make a few trips south with them that the coaches of our high school team arranged every year to give the guys that "Friday Night Lights" experience. I recorded the games in cam and uploaded them later to YouTube after running them through vMix in some cases.
At that time, the places we went to hadn't quite gotten into 'Live Streaming' yet but were just starting to the last time I went. We always got blown out of the water but it was still a memorable experience.

Ice