logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PFBM  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2016 4:41:09 PM(UTC)
PFBM

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 35 time(s) in 30 post(s)
Can Vmix Support this codec ?

TICO compression

The new lightweight and disruptive video compression technology, Extremely tiny in ASIC & FPGA , Fast & Powerful in CPU

http://www.intopix.com/p.../31/lang/en#.V-BNTIgrLGh

Cheers,

PFBM
kane  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2016 7:00:53 PM(UTC)
kane

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 143 time(s) in 94 post(s)
I'm sure Martin could, but it wouldn't be free as you have to license the TICO technology.

I'm not aware of much equipment there that is available using TICO now. TICO is part of the AIMS alliance, but most AIMS gear is working uncompressed right now. From what I've seen, TICO is mostly being looked at for sending UHD over a 3G-SDI cable (4:1 compression) or as a protocol for use with 10gbit networking. You might be able to get HD resolution working with 1gbit, but not UHD/4K.

Understand that I work for the competition with our own IP protocol, NDI. I'm not here to give TICO a bad rap, just my take on what I've seen with it so far. I'm told that the NDI software codec is multiple times faster in CPU than TICO is, but I've not seen hard numbers on TICO, they just say it is real-time or faster than real-time, but don't say what the takes to achieve that.

If TICO does become important, NewTek will support it using Connect Pro as a bridge (like we do with the SMPTE 2022 or ASPEN IP protocols). At that point, vMix or any other NDI application would have the ability to interface with it as well.

Kane Peterson
NewTek
thanks 3 users thanked kane for this useful post.
PFBM on 9/20/2016(UTC), mjgraves on 9/22/2016(UTC), lael on 6/30/2017(UTC)