logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ratcast  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:24:37 PM(UTC)
ratcast

Groups: Registered

I'm loving the Vmix so far, using it for hockey games.

Question though, I have to upgrade from the Diamond capture which has only composite and it only giving me a basic 4:3 video from my video camera. My camera has both component and HDMI out, so I want to use that to get a better resolution and a 16:9 view for use with Vmix.

I was looking at the Elgato and similar capture device which are really used for Xbox and PS3 to capture game play, and can capture from either component or HDMI.

Would the Vmix recognize the Elgato or other game capture devices like it would a standard video capture device like Dazzle ?

thanks
dave
Grimble  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:39:03 AM(UTC)
Grimble

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I've looked into this as well.. I think the main issue with these USB2 devices is that they will usually encode the video on the external device, and pass that encoded stream to some software running on the PC - whether it works as a capture device for windows is really up to that software - probably not though, I'd say.

Your best bet for HDMI capture is probably the Blackmagic Intensity Pro PCIe card. It's about as cheap as HD capture cards get, and is supported in vMix. If you're on a laptop, there is a USB3 external Blackmagic Intensity Shuffle, but it's fussy about the USB3 chipset needed on the laptop.