logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sinc747  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 31, 2016 6:47:17 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
How can I crop the input in the left side of this multiview? It looks like I need to separately crop each layer.

The Input in the left window (#1) started as an Image Input (a picture) (#2) with a chroma-keyed camera Input (#3) added in Multi View.

I added a Title/XAML MultiView Input (#4). I also added a Color Input (#5).

Then, using the Color Input as the Main, in Multi View I added Input #1 (made up of #2 and #3) as Overlay #1. I also added #4 (the MultiView) as Overlay #3.

Confused yet?

But when I try to crop the image in the left window, the background image will crop but not chroma keyed camera shot.

How can I fix this?

- Tom
sinc747 attached the following image(s):
crop.PNG (304kb) downloaded 35 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
sinc747  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 3, 2016 12:38:58 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

No one, really?

- Tom
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 3, 2016 12:42:51 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ sinc747

You have to be very careful when "layering" as you have Tom.
"MultiViews" do not always behave the way you would expect or want them to when you attempt "alterations" as you have.
I think this has to do with the total layering "depth" you are accessing, a "MultiView" of a "MultiView" is the issue at hand.
Somehow the layers in the first "MultiView" don't scale properly when used as an Overlay in the second "MultiView".
The workaround is probably to set-up a completely new "MultiView" with the same elements as the first, scaled and cropped individually to match the original "MultiView" so you could still transition between them (full screen to PiP). Not the simplest of tasks, but it should work to some degree.
When I have more time, I'll try to play around with your scenario to see if I can figure out an easier way.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
sinc747 on 9/6/2016(UTC)
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 8:27:32 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ sinc747

Hi Tom, I've played around with your scenario a little bit, and if I understand you correctly, what is going on is that each layer of a "Multiview" gets "cropped" individually, however, a 'compound composite' (or MultiView within a MultiView) does not treat the original Multiview as a whole and subsequently does not provide access to the 'Overlay' channels within the original MultiView, only the main image (Zoom function does but not cropping). So as originally described above, you may have to do some fancy compositing to achieve the look you want.
Hope that helps explain it a little bit.

Ice
Bandit62  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 9:02:01 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Tom, ask Martin from vMix...they did it in their last broadcast to avoid the image coming through from the green in their shirts...they showed that they had 2 areas with green to cover the area where the logo on their shirts would appear, so it did not get keyed out...Think he explained it a bit..
sinc747  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 11:11:22 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

IceStream wrote:
what is going on is that each layer of a "Multiview" gets "cropped" individually, however, a 'compound composite' (or MultiView within a MultiView) does not treat the original Multiview as a whole and subsequently does not provide access to the 'Overlay' channels within the original MultiView, only the main image (Zoom function does but not cropping).

Ice

Thanks, Ice. You nailed it exactly!

So... is this Feature Request or a Bug Report?

I want to be able to crop the MultiView (multi input source) Input as if it were one single fixed entity/input, and not have to separately crop each "layer" (MultiView source input)

Feature? Bug? Your thoughts.

- Tom
BETech  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 2:33:35 PM(UTC)
BETech

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 71 post(s)
UserPostedImage

(Right). Multiview composite with green background and two cropped/masked versions of camera 1.

(Left) The multiview is then chroma keyed over the chroma-key of camera 1 with the background landscape. Dual Chroma Keys.
IceStream  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 3:03:14 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ sinc747

I don't think it's a bug, but the fact that the Zoom function treats the MultiView as a whole, one would expect the Crop function to behave the same so it's definitely worth inquiring about (which I guess you kinda already have, only we haven't heard back yet).
In that respect, I would start off by treating it as a BUG or Glitch and hopefully hear back from Martin on the subject as to whether that's the case or not.
I cannot really think of a reason why you would want to maintain that channel independence when you are using the Original MultiView Input as a composite in another MultiView, so if it's not a BUG, then worth a "Feature Request".

Ice
IceStream  
#9 Posted : Thursday, September 8, 2016 10:54:27 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ BETech

You've obviously put a lot of time and effort into the above post, and it is likely referring to the fancy compositing workaround I refer to above. However, I think Tom's point about the BUG is the real issue at hand and is best exemplified if you take your final "MultiView" Input above and add it as the first overlay of a new "MultiView" Input. You will notice that you can resize that channel just fine, but try to crop it to just the show half the screen or second window of the MultiViewHD.xaml.
(kind of a silly example, and we're getting into too much layering which vMix can't do, but it should illustrate the issue somewhat that you are unable to crop the image as a whole)

Hence the question: BUG or Feature Request?

Ice
IceStream  
#10 Posted : Friday, September 9, 2016 8:00:32 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ BETech

I agree wholeheartedly, I regularly use the "MultiView" feature as my M/E Bus for upstream keys and pre-composing of special effect shots, I only wish vMix allowed for more than 2 levels of layering, it would definitely make complex compositing a lot easier.

Ice