logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wwdv  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 5:48:43 AM(UTC)
wwdv

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Hi Martin and team,

I did this request already a few times ans also other people did.

In most churches I know, the stream has to start when vMix is started.

Pressing the stream button will sometimes forgotten because the broadcast is done by different people.

There are several workarounds for autostartstreaming with an api call or auto keypress, but that is not always reliable.

Is it possible to add this feature to settings/options?

You will make a lot of people happy ;)

jhebbel  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 4:45:20 PM(UTC)
jhebbel

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Not sure how they could forget, it's a big red icon, but you could easily create a batch file to do it automatically;

Code:

vMix64.exe
timeout /t 10
start "" http://127.0.0.1:8088/api/?Function=StartStreaming
wwdv  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 5:51:08 AM(UTC)
wwdv

In churches broadcastings are done by volunteers, sometimes without technical background, and in some cases they also operate the beamer.
In my case they are not used to press the stream button because it is done by a script.
When the script is not working, because Vmix is not ready yet or what ever, they simply forget to do it manually.
I like to keep things simple for them, without opening browser screens or script windows.

Vmix really should have this simple but important option.
I think it is basic functionality like 'start extended output' and 'start basic' (btw. a fantastic option to make the UI a lot more simple).
jhebbel  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 1:36:38 PM(UTC)
jhebbel

If picking a single person for the job isn't possible, perhaps simplifying the operation for them might be helpful. Perhaps if you were to create a pre roll of some sort before the, sermon I assume, then you can start that yourself and go live before you are ready, then take your position and hope the operator know how to switch cameras once you are ready.

You could have a static infographic with music from your church piped in (I assume you play music through your PA prior to start), or a wide camera showing the live inside of the church or something.

I would also put it to you that a false dependance on your current script could be your issue and it may very well be better to not use one at all but instead make it the operator's natural habit to start it manually. Dependance on the script may be causing them to overlook it when it fails.
richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 2:58:29 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
I am not sure autostarting Streaming is a good idea. What if you want to open a preset just to edit it? And imagine that Output contains something unwanted (out of focues, "no signal", or whatever.

Better to train the operator/s.
And one trick we use is to put a post-it note (physical piece of paper) on the vMix display on top of vMix with a reminder ("Don't forget to record" for example).

Just my thoughts...
thanks 2 users thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
sinc747 on 8/17/2016(UTC), Zetor1980 on 8/19/2016(UTC)
wwdv  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 3:21:33 PM(UTC)
wwdv

Every situation is different ofcourse, therefore it should be an option that can be enabled only for those who need it.

We have also unmanned broadcasts (timercontrolled) with fixed camera settings or auto tours (organ concerts, meetings etc. )
(an auto start recording option would also be verry handy in this situation)

IceStream  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 5:58:29 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
I am kind of with Richard on this one as it could potentially cause or create more problems for those situations when you are not intending to stream or wanting to stream to a different CDN...
I do however see the benefits for those not wanting to "forget" to engage or not having the properly trained staff on hand.
Perhaps a compromise of some sort is in order, such as a "Checklist Screen" at startup asking if you want to "Auto Stream" and/or "Auto Record" as per previous settings or whether you will engage manually.
Two quick mouse clicks at startup and you are good to go!

Just my thoughts.

Ice
wwdv  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 6:15:13 PM(UTC)
wwdv

IceStream wrote:
Perhaps a compromise of some sort is in order, such as a "Checklist Screen" at startup asking if you want to "Auto Stream" and/or "Auto Record" as per previous settings or whether you will engage manually.
Two quick mouse clicks at startup and you are good to go!

That doesn't work in unmanned situations ;)

The feature could be hidden in advanced settings so that it isn't enabled by accident.
IceStream  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 17, 2016 6:48:48 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ wwdv

Not sure I understand.
How are you starting vMix if it is unmanned?

Ice
kamal  
#10 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2016 2:13:16 AM(UTC)
kamal

I'd suggest designing a simple graphics of vMix workflow and set it as windows desktop wallpaper
wwdv  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 18, 2016 3:38:12 AM(UTC)
wwdv

IceStream wrote:
@ wwdv

Not sure I understand.
How are you starting vMix if it is unmanned?

Ice

Then I start vMix with the Task scheduler or the computer is turned on by a timer (vMix in startup).

jhebbel  
#12 Posted : Friday, August 19, 2016 9:26:58 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

Running a production with only one operator/producer is hard enough, running one with zero is darn near impossible lol.

I think familiarity and training is the answer here, Trying to set up an automated solution is likely to introduce more issues than it will solve. What if there is an issue with an input, or a network cable is unplugged, or something happened with your router etc etc etc, without a user running the show you will never know.

I would recommend finding somebody among your congregation with even the slightest PC experience and ask if they would be willing to volunteer to be the goto guy for handling streaming, then ensure he is properly trained and comfortable with the situation. As time progresses having somebody at the wheel can even enhance you production as at key times you can have him pull graphics that show versus and such.