logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NiBTour  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 3, 2016 10:22:26 AM(UTC)
NiBTour

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)

I need to bring in about 16 sources and I want to monitor them and then depending on whats going on I want to take that input that's going into the multi view and then send it to vmix as a input. I haven't bought the BMD Multiview yet and i'm just doing some research now. My system has 8 sdi capture ports and I wanted to just be able to see all my inputs on our big monitor and when the time comes shoot it over to my vmix system. is that all I need is the viewer? I ask because they talk about the routing software and i'm trying to find more info on BMD site but not having any luck.

thanks

-king
desmar  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 3, 2016 10:01:22 PM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Hope this helps

Installation and Operation Manual Blackmagic MultiView

http://documents.blackma...gic_MultiView_Manual.pdf
NiBTour  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2016 2:13:58 AM(UTC)
NiBTour

Man
United States

desmar wrote:
Hope this helps

Installation and Operation Manual Blackmagic MultiView

http://documents.blackma...gic_MultiView_Manual.pdf

Yeah that's the first thing I did and it left more questions than answers and I haven't heard from BMD yet. I was hoping for someone that actually uses it with vMix. Thanks!

-King
AElli  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2016 5:00:04 PM(UTC)
AElli

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
We had them on trial, shortly after initial release and the latency on the inputs was huge for monitoring live inputs. Of course this was with early firmware and as is usual with BMD most of the expected features were missing from those advertised, no audio meters, only displayed sources as 4x3, audio out of sync and did I mention the HUGE latency delays. so it was returned. I have no ideas what they are like currently.

Also if you need to switch the 16 sources to your 8 inputs you'll need a seperate SDI router, the multiview won't do that for you. The SDI ports on the unit are input and pass through. Or at least they were on our "trial" unit and I think that's still the same.

"routing" i.e. each input could be routed to be shown in any of the 16 on screen display panels,e.g input 2 can be "routed" to show in display panel 16, not as only sequential source no. = sequential display panel.

A.
NiBTour  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2016 12:10:50 PM(UTC)
NiBTour

Man
United States

AElli wrote:
We had them on trial, shortly after initial release and the latency on the inputs was huge for monitoring live inputs. Of course this was with early firmware and as is usual with BMD most of the expected features were missing from those advertised, no audio meters, only displayed sources as 4x3, audio out of sync and did I mention the HUGE latency delays. so it was returned. I have no ideas what they are like currently.

Also if you need to switch the 16 sources to your 8 inputs you'll need a seperate SDI router, the multiview won't do that for you. The SDI ports on the unit are input and pass through. Or at least they were on our "trial" unit and I think that's still the same.

"routing" i.e. each input could be routed to be shown in any of the 16 on screen display panels,e.g input 2 can be "routed" to show in display panel 16, not as only sequential source no. = sequential display panel.

A.

Okay I understand the concept of routing coming from sys admin\developer back ground but when it comes to video you'll have to slow down a bit. In regards to the SDI router what type of device are we talking about. is it an actual router where all 16 SDI sources go in and they wait for you to route them to a particular output which in my case would be vMix and while they are being fed into the router I can't see them unless I route them thus I would need a multiview to receive the inputs and they would pass into router and then I would be able to see all of them on the multiview and when I want to feed one in I would tell the router which one(s) to bring in?

any suggestions on hardware?

and thank you! BMD has yet to get back to me
-King
AElli  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2016 3:25:48 PM(UTC)
AElli

If I'm getting your questioning.. There is no routing of video on the MV16. Input 1 loops its feed out through output 1 you can't... take SDI input 1 and feed it out over SDI output 3 e.g. each SDI out mirrors its SDI input. SDI 1in 1out, SDI 2in 2out, 3in 3out etc.etc.

The routing here on this product is the ability to "route" your inputs to display in differing panels on the MV16 display screen. So you can maybe "group" sources on screen.

If you want to route video feeds you'll need (if your staying with BMD ) one of these...

https://www.blackmagicde...eohub/techspecs/W-VHS-02

Prob. the 20x20 will be the closest match for the MV16 (or the 12x12 if you suffer less feeds)

Feed your sources into the MV16 then connect the MV16 loopthrough outs into the 20x20 router inputs, now you can move the feeds around to feed into Vmix.

This way you can monitor all 16 inputs on the MV16 and route each source whereever needed via the 20x20.

A.
AElli  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2016 3:37:50 PM(UTC)
AElli

I think the question here is when in your original post you say you want to "shoot" your sources over to the Vmix 8 inputs....

If you just want to monitor 8 inputs on one display then feed them back out into the 8 Vmix inputs the MV16 will do this... ( hopefully without the original lag in latency)

If you want to monitor 16 sources then decide which 8 to feed into your 8 Vmix inputs you'll also need the 20x20 SDI router.

A.
NiBTour  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2016 4:17:14 PM(UTC)
NiBTour

Man
United States

AElli wrote:
I think the question here is when in your original post you say you want to "shoot" your sources over to the Vmix 8 inputs....

If you just want to monitor 8 inputs on one display then feed them back out into the 8 Vmix inputs the MV16 will do this... ( hopefully without the original lag in latency)

If you want to monitor 16 sources then decide which 8 to feed into your 8 Vmix inputs you'll also need the 20x20 SDI router.

A.

Perfect this answered my question. I guess what threw me off was BMD talked about the routing software coming with MV16 so you could route as well and that's what led to my confusion.
AElli  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 6, 2016 5:34:38 PM(UTC)
AElli

Yeah, BMD marketing have a way of wording things to sound like your getting more. Whilst all wording is open to individual interpretation in this case the routing s/ware basically controls the location of sources on the MV16 monitor screen, panels 1-16

A.