logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ittaidv  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 30, 2016 6:19:12 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Groups: Registered
Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
With our company slash9 productions, we livestreamed 2 stages on the tomorrowland festival in Belgium. There were 4 channels :

Mainstage: livestream of 2 stages combined, done by a team of 200+ people
Café d'anvers stage: livestream by us
Trance Addicts/Qdance/Bakermat & friends: livestream by us
Replay channel :replay of the best sets of the mainstage

We used Vmix, combined with AJA kipro recorders, an audio embedder and sent the signal towards the OB trucks of the company who produces the mainstage video material. There were some sdi splitters used, that routed some camera's to a hardware video mixer, which was there in case of pc troubles, we never had to use it fortunatly.

We used a combination of small fisheye action cams from canon, Sony A7s photo camera's and a few fs7 cams for the camera men. We also used ditogear omnisliders and hired a crew with a camera crane.

Our production was very low budget, but i'm very happy with the result.

We got great help from Matthijs and his colleague Joost, who we met on this forum. I'm sure we will work together with them in the future, these guys kicked ass and know a lot about production!

We faced some troubles with blackmagic cards and focusrite soundcards, but overall it was a very good production with 0 big mistakes or technical difficulties. Our team was very motivated and we got some good critics already from many people.

In order to play with the big boys we had to come up with a lot of advanced routing in our setup though: we had to embed 6 channels of audio with an embedder, play back some replays of sets when we had no authorisation to stream the current set, while we mixed, etc..
Vmix alone is not fully capable for broadcast, hence the AJA's who can record 6 channels audio and the embedder to make sure audio was routed and sent correctly.

Matthijs made some pics with his phone, more pics will follow later:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Here are some of the many sets we captured and livestreamed:

http://365.tomorrowland....2cf08cac712e75996d090b5d

http://365.tomorrowland....d617116ace2c2998ac63aec7

http://365.tomorrowland....5ff2660f7e300a15d12c5afc

http://365.tomorrowland....700f7cee94bda4c6c67053ec

http://365.tomorrowland....a731244f674379e6bb9d9b78

Enjoy!

sinc747  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 2, 2016 3:46:50 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 196 time(s) in 162 post(s)
Great job!

- Tom
Mathijs  
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2016 7:14:57 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Lol, I did need some time to recuperate from the job. Shouldn't we shrink the pics to fit the page?
thanks 1 user thanked Mathijs for this useful post.
Ittaidv on 8/4/2016(UTC)
Ittaidv  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2016 5:41:50 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Mathijs wrote:
Lol, I did need some time to recuperate from the job. Shouldn't we shrink the pics to fit the page?

I can believe you needed some, it was heavy :)

Resizing would be good indeed, I'm also waiting for some pics shot by the photographers. There should be some nice ones there.
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2016 6:09:33 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
Quite the ordeal guys...
Not sure I could handle three days of steady 'dance mix music' so job well done (I guess the "Broadcast" crew got the better deal with the main stage coverage).
I would certainly be interested to learn more about the scope of your set-up at such a LARGE venue covering two stages, I tried to get a feel for it on the web site but there is no actual map I could find there showing how big of an area it is, I had to google map it which only partially helps to illustrate the scale of the event.

Ice
Mathijs  
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2016 8:10:24 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

The scale of the event is huge. I used to work in the rock and roll scene before, so I did not get to big dance events. Lowlands was as big and fancy I was used to. I think the creativity of the décor of the entire terrain was amazing. A lot of creative idea's and lots and lots of work to get it all materialized. The stages were absolutely stunning, full of mechanical, pyrotechnics and audiovisual technology with the sky as the limit.

We did cover two stages, with 2 vMix setups. Of course there were long runs of cable with 8 camera's per stage, giving us some problems while setting up here and there. The extra challenge was the fact that we moved one setup to a different stage every night. This was done by a separate team. So every morning there was some troubleshooting getting everything up and running again. Checking sdi signals, embedded multi-channel audio, etc.

The backup was a separate hardware SDI mixer which got our program signal and a few camera's as inputs, so in case of emergency we could switch between those while getting the system up and running again. With the separate audio embedders, we could make sure audio also kept going at all times. We did not need to use the backup mixers at any time by the way. ;)

The distribution over the entire terrain was done very professionally with a Mediornet fiber network. Our signals were sent trough it, to the OB truck that did take care of the streaming, so that challenge did not get onto our shoulders. You can imagine what you would need to be capable of serving millions of viewers worldwide.
Because of that, I found the bandwidth they used to do the livestreams quite low, especially for such dynamic footage. I would stream it with minimum triple the bandwidth, but you can imagine what that would do with the overall bandwidth needs. Better something that keeps working than something that gets overloaded and fails. The on-demands that are live now look a lot better.

We did deliver 3 days of streaming, the atmosphere shows itself in the footage and looking back to it I can only say that we delivered. There are enough ideas to improve things further within future big events, so the workflow will get even better in the future.
Ittaidv  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 4, 2016 8:11:21 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

IceStream wrote:
Quite the ordeal guys...
Not sure I could handle three days of steady 'dance mix music' so job well done (I guess the "Broadcast" crew got the better deal with the main stage coverage).
I would certainly be interested to learn more about the scope of your set-up at such a LARGE venue covering two stages, I tried to get a feel for it on the web site but there is no actual map I could find there showing how big of an area it is, I had to google map it which only partially helps to illustrate the scale of the event.

Ice

Our crew is very used to dance music, that's actually how our company started out, so for us it was no problem ;)

The smallest area was filled with at least 2000 people (Bakermat), the biggest one must have been for 5000 or more (Q dance). The total visitors of the festival is around 180 000 people for the whole weekend.

I think the "broadcast" crew indeed got a better deal, but their numbers also counted a bit to ours, since they provided rocknet audio from the stages, fiber connection to the OB's and a bit of technical assistance. For the mainstage there were multiple OB trucks involved, each making their own mix for other tv channels. If they ask us again, I will for sure hire more crew, but those would be runners, assistants, production staff and people to divide and keep track of material.

We were happy that Matthijs brought some sdi signal boosters, since we were sending signals with normal bnc cables to over 100 meters at some stages. It was the toughest job I ever did so far, because of those distances. Many camera's and cables couldn't make up for the distance, and if we had to adjust something, we had to walk super far.

AElli  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 5, 2016 4:28:59 PM(UTC)
AElli

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)

We were happy that Matthijs brought some sdi signal boosters, since we were sending signals with normal bnc cables to over 100 meters at some stages. It was the toughest job I ever did so far, because of those distances. Many camera's and cables couldn't make up for the distance, and if we had to adjust something, we had to walk super far.

So how were the SDI cables routed back to your switching area??
Do they route through ducting, gantry's, maybe under walkways / boardwalks etc or are they simply laid out on the ground with the hope they don't get trampled on or soaked in the mud etc.

Maybe this sounds a stupid question but I've always stayed away from larger "outdoor" giggs simple for the logistical reasons of feeding sources back to the switcher in somewhat adverse uncontrollable conditions.. To date the longest indoor runs we need are at one particular re-occuring event where the staging area is aprox 200ft from us but as said we are indoors :-)

A.

Ps always held the Tomorrowland event as one of the favourites, back in the days were I could stay awake past midnight without feeling shite the following day, arghhh the trials in getting older....
Mathijs  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 6, 2016 8:59:13 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Where they had to run trough audience, we used these:
UserPostedImage
At the area's where were no people or vehicles, they would just lay on the ground.
Avwise  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 16, 2016 7:00:31 PM(UTC)
Avwise

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Great jobs Guys,

Maybe we get in contact some time as fellow vmixgeeks :)

Greetings from the Netherlands

Mathijs  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2016 7:08:05 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Of course, I am always interested in meeting other vMix users.
Are you going to the IBC?