logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jhebbel  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2016 9:56:43 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Interested to know what specs really matter when it comes to GPU. Memory? Memory speed? core clock? CUDA cores? texture rate? pixel rate? etc etc...

This way i can really do a cost comparison of cards and make sure I get the best bang for the buck as far as vmix goes without all the bells and whistles that vmix really doesn't care about.
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2016 9:21:12 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ jhebbel

I think to some extent it depends on what you are throwing at it...
A higher end recent nvidia gamer's card will handle more HD sources better and will help with encoding which can be quite beneficial but not necessarily be a deal breaker in a lot of cases if it's not available. Using a high end workstation card might be a lot less bang for the buck if it doesn't handle top video games well (they are typically not designed for that usage). I think the 'Best' advice is to acquire the highest end and up to date 'Gamer's' card you can afford (within the context of your usage) and you most likely won't be disappointed.
My preference would be an x60 or above in any series GeForce card with additional CPU offloading features on the 750 and above.

Ice
jhebbel  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 28, 2016 10:23:05 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
But just getting the "best" I can afford is the easy answer. People familiar with the different car lines know that the different models of different families each excel at different things. For example a gtx 295 has better texture bandwidth than a 650 even though the 650 is significantly newer.

Of course the easy answer of buying a 10x0 card and sit back and enjoy is good for most, I really want to know what the nuts and bolts of the usage of vMix are. Programs like 3d Mark etc are great for testing overall 3d / lighting/ shader / performance, but may not necessarily focus on what vMix really uses.