logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davidelsbury  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 9, 2016 12:27:53 AM(UTC)
davidelsbury

Groups: Registered

Hi all.
I'm putting together a proposal for a vMix 4k system for work and would appreciate your suggestions on my hardware below.

I intend to have it set up with a primary (=program) and secondary (='aux') output - I will use keyboard shortcuts to cut the content to the secondary output. The system will run either in 1080p mode or 4k mode (most of the time the 4k will run into a Datapath videowall processor to basically allow me to do a 2-projector blend and still keep both PJ at 1080p) as well as having a couple of HDSDI outputs for whatever - recordings or overflow rooms.

Intel CPU - Core i7-6700K 4.0 GHz, Socket 1151, Skylake-S
EVGA Z170 FTW Motherboard, Socket 1151, Intel Z170, ATX
Thermaltake Litepower Series, 750W ATX PSU, Active PFC, Black
3x Kingston 8GB DDR4-2133MHz Non-ECC CL 15 RAM
Graphics Card GeForce GTX 970, TURBO-GTX970-OC-4GD5, Video Graphics Card, 4GB GDDR5
Sandisk SSD Plus Series SSD, 120GB, 2.5", SATA 6 Gb/s (OS drive)
Sandisk Extreme Pro Series SSD, 480GB, 2.5", SATA 6 Gb/s (recordings)

Datapath VisionSC-SDI4 - HDSDI Capture Card 4 input
Datapath VisionSC-HD4+ Capture Card (4x HDMI/DVI)
Blackmagic Design Decklink Duo - OUTPUT CARD

Thanks - would appreciate your thoughts. I know all the hardware options change so much, so quickly, so....

Cheers
David
SportsNetUSA.net  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 9, 2016 2:15:47 AM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
It looks very good.

Since you are proposing to spend a bit on capture cards and other components, consider a higher end power supply. Take look at an 80 Plus certified platinum or gold rated one, such as the SilverStone Strider Platinum 750W which should be quiet and reliable. Also Seasonic and Antec might be looked at. I've used Corsair RM series power supplies in some builds for audio that run 24/7 without any issues. Also, I have a Corsair AX760 in the unit I use for editing which is on several hours daily.

If you prefer Thermaltake, then maybe move up to Toughpower series.
thanks 1 user thanked SportsNetUSA.net for this useful post.
davidelsbury on 7/9/2016(UTC)
davidelsbury  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 9, 2016 3:03:09 AM(UTC)
davidelsbury

Thanks for the reply. It's not that money is "no object" but since this is going to be an investment I think it's best to try and aim for as much as we can afford.

Yeah, it seems to be almost the best that I can get, focussing mainly on SSD, and graphics card. I really hope I can get good performance with two 4k screens, and hoping for as low latency as I can get away with on the SDI inputs (live IMAG)

I'll take a look at the power supply, I am not focussed on particular brands as such, really just what I can get down here in NZ.

Cheers!
David

I am thinking it is better to go with two of the Datapath cards as capture devices rather than two different brands. Your opinion?

Might have to try and find another case- I am looking at a 3U rackmount one but the max PSU depth in that case is 140mm - the better ones are 160mm
Kelvin  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 9, 2016 9:33:38 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
120 Gb system drive may be a little cramped these days. I would consider a 240 Gb drive.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 9, 2016 3:23:44 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Quote:
I am thinking it is better to go with two of the Datapath cards as capture devices rather than two different brands. Your opinion?

There are members of this forum that are much better qualified than I am to give you an opinion on higher end capture devices. Hopefully they'll post.

I would agree with Kelvin and think about a 240G system drive. A 120G will work but they seem to get filled up in a hurry even when only installing programs. The difference between a 120G Sandisk SSD Plus Series SSD and a 240G is small ($25-$30 US). Of course this build would only have a limited amount of programs installed, so if you keep an eye on the OS drive, a 120G should be fine.