logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AlanZ  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2016 10:27:02 PM(UTC)
AlanZ

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Before I release it into the wild, I thought my VMix friends might like to see a video of the presentation I gave at the AAW Symposium a few weeks ago.
VMix and NDI featured rather prominently in the demonstration.

I hope you find it entertaining/useful.

thanks 1 user thanked AlanZ for this useful post.
sinc747 on 8/9/2016(UTC)
ask  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 8, 2016 11:35:37 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Nice work Alan.
richardgatarski  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 6, 2016 4:54:15 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Alan,
I tech geek's bonanza :)

Today I finally took the time to watch your video. I really like your way of running a workshop session. Lots of info, on the border to overload, but no problem as one can stop, rewind, and replay the video. And as far I could see the audience was with you all the time (did not got bored which could easily happen to non techies ;)

I once learned one important, but not so intutitive thing, from a podcast with a guest that was a tech literature publisher. Start with the end. Don't begin with a long history before you get to the point. Give them the point/conclusion, and then go through the whole thing and discuss implications.

Not sure about how your particular session was presented beforehand. That is, the way it was described in terms of goal and intended audience. So my idea of instead perhaps start with a *very* short intro, and then go ahead and do a bried demonstration where you actually did some wood turning as if it was a remote demo. Then continue by explaining how, and *why* remote demonstrations is a useful approach.

In any case, thanks for sharing this! And keep up doing what you are doing.

/richard
ps It felt good to see you and Lauren again, even though it was remote ;) Woke up memories from a fab night in NY.
AlanZ  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2016 9:37:43 AM(UTC)
AlanZ

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Richard,

Thanks for the kind words.

I agree with the optimal reordering of the presentation.
The night before, Lauren and I updated the slide deck, moving the demo portion up by about 15 minutes.
However, during the session, I noticed that I was working from the previous deck... I had not transfered the new deck to that laptop.
So I was expecting to see the demo placeholder slide on the next slide, and the next, and I finally stopped the presentation briefly and looked for the slide.
When I determined it wasn't there, I simply started the interactive portion of the demo. The audience was amused, and very supportive.
I removed those few minutes of head-scratching from the final recording.

The audience was a mix... I would guess that about half were demonstrators and half were responsible for booking demonstrators, so I was serving various masters.

They were watching me on two LCD monitors, so they always could see the mixed video going out via vMix's FullScreen output.

Some folks were really into the hardware. They especially loved my using an iPhone with NDICam atop a wireless pan-tilt head!

The feedback from those who attended was great. I spent the next few days of the symposium talking to folks about remote presentations, and have subsequently been placed on a committee to build a database of demonstrators and topics... and if they will be available remotely.