logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
waldron18  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2016 8:03:27 PM(UTC)
waldron18

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi

I'm running Vmix 17.0.0.99 on Windows 10 and I also have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20.

Last night I was doing a live stream and I had two mics running through the Focusrite. Everything was running fine in Vmix with the mic inputs but then randomly the audio would stop coming into vmix. I would have to close the inputs and add the mics again in Vmix.

The Scarlett was still getting a signal and as soon as I freshly added them to Vmix everything would be fine. It did it three time during a 1 hour stream.

Does anyone have any ideas why that might be?

Cheers
admin  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 5, 2016 10:25:42 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
In the Focusrite control panel increase the buffer length.
Under heavy system load some focusrite devices will stop sending the audio if the buffer is exceeded.
(You will see this happen in programs like Pro Tools as well)

Boosting the buffer length will resolve this.
waldron18  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 6, 2016 6:00:58 AM(UTC)
waldron18

Thanks for that... I'll give it go. Do you have a recommended buffer size?

It shouldn't have been under heavy load... I only had two mics going into it. I'll see how the buffer goes.

Cheers
Ragnvald  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 19, 2016 10:15:41 PM(UTC)
Ragnvald

Same issue here. Several times today during a longer broadcast, audio just stopped being recorded and going out with the stream.

I have a Focusrite 2i4 and wonder if you have any recommended buffer size? I'd hate to experiment with this while we go live again tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.
JimJacobs  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2016 12:12:08 AM(UTC)
JimJacobs

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Sounds like you might have a possible problem like I experienced with a BMD Quad 2 card about 6 weeks ago. What video card are you using? Is the audio still playing within the vMix production? I believe you're losing the audio to your external outputs, not from your Focusrite. Are you losing just your mics or all your audio output to the stream? There should be several easy steps to isolate where the problem is. Waldron 18, I have what you have, an 18i20, so I will test and get back to you. I have not experienced the issue you described, but I'm on Windows 7, not 10.
Ragnvald  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2016 12:59:15 PM(UTC)
Ragnvald

Hi JimJacobs

I have a YUAN SC542N4 HDMI capture card. I'm on Windows 10 and latest vMix. I actually did not see if the audio dropped internally inside of vMix. I should have played a clip inside to test, but I didn't think about that at the time. I just rebooted and started it up to get the audio working again.
JimJacobs  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2016 1:16:38 PM(UTC)
JimJacobs

I would run those tests to determine what the culprit is. If it's the same problem I had, you can simply stop then restart your external output for a temporary fix. The problem is not likely within vMix but within the driver of your capture card. I'd run the tests like I suggested and if that is indeed the case, send a note to Martin in support so he can work with your card manufacturer to isolate and resolve this issue.
Mathijs  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 20, 2016 4:10:27 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
JimJacobs wrote:
Sounds like you might have a possible problem like I experienced with a BMD Quad 2 card about 6 weeks ago.

That is a different problem which is worked on by Martin and BMD. In the mean time downgrade BMD desktop video to 10.6.5 and that problem will be gone.

I don't own a focusrite, so I cannot help very well with that unfortunately. I would set the buffer length high and also check at the power settings of the system if USB selective suspend is on. If so turn that to off. If it doesn't help, turn it back on.
waldron18  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:00:23 AM(UTC)
waldron18

Hi everyone

I'm back with the same issue. I just finished a live streaming gig tonight and the audio again kept cutting in and out. It was all ok during tests etc but about 1 hour into the stream Vmix kept losing the mic audio from my Focusrite 18i20. I only had to mics going through the focusrite into vmix and they both dropped out. I opened my Scarlett Mix Control software and the audio didn't drop out there so that says to me it's not the Scarlett... it was only vmix that lost the audio. I had to right click on the audio input in Vmix and go "reset" that then brought the audio back on straight away for a while.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it's pretty risky continuing with an issue like this.

My system wasn't under much load at all (about 15% CPU) and I was using Fullscreen, Streaming and recording.

Is there anyway of working out what when wrong? How do I access Vmix logs to check?

Thanks heaps everyone.

Nick
Mathijs  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 9:50:44 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

I have also seen focusrite interfaces misbehaving like this. With buffer sizes as high as they could be set.
I would exchange them for something else. It just needs to work and keep working, which is clearly not the case with the focusrite interfaces at this point.
LAJDigital  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 10:41:40 AM(UTC)
LAJDigital

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have a Scarlet 2i2 (first Gen) that this happened to quite a few times. this was before i learnt about buffer size i tried to go into advanced and tried turning off exclusive mode.. that sort of worked. however it did do it every now and again. one quick solution if it glitched out was to right click on the input and reset it that normally fixed it enough to keep going.
waldron18  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 6:49:02 PM(UTC)
waldron18

hmmm... thanks for that. I might have to sell the focusrite by the sound of it. So the fact that the Scarlett Mix Control doesn't lose signal has nothing to do with it? Definitely an interface issue?

What audio interface would people recommend that is as solid as a rock?

Cheers

Nick
Mathijs  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 7:41:44 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Difficult to say, I am not willing to take the risk of making you spend money on something I recommend, and afterwards hear you have problems with it.
I have used quite some interfaces myself or seen others have problems with them.
From cheap interfaces to Aurora's, it looks like they all have problems at certain points.
At this moment I am using a Audiofire12, that is an older firewire interface that works ok now. But not with latest firmware, so I had my problems with it before.
I also have a Akai IEIE PRO, that is a USB interface which does not drop entirely, but has some clicks from time to time which is quite annoying.
I have a Beringer xenyx with built in USB interface, that has digital interference in the signal when the USB is connected, making it unusable with usb audio.
A friend of mine has a Lynx Aurora 16, with a pricetag you can buy multiple high end interfaces for, and even he also has problems from time to time.

Google on steinberg interfaces or RME, look for reviews and people having problems with them and try to find something you like.
Unpack carefully so you can send it back when you get disappointed.
JimJacobs  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2016 10:48:33 PM(UTC)
JimJacobs

I don't think your problem s the 18i20. I have one and use it for hours without audio loss at all. You might uninstall it's drivers and do a reinstall, but I don't think buying something else is your answer. If you do decide to sell it, I'm interested in buying it.
Ittaidv  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 7, 2016 8:01:52 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
I have 2 18i20 's laying around and 2x 2i2. Don't really use them anymore, because they've proven to be unreliable from time to time. The problems started since we went to x99 motherboards. also our other usb soundcards are behaving weird on these motherboards.

I'm currently looking for properly shielded internal soundcards, since I need a 100% reliable sound solution.