logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mburel1980  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 29, 2016 4:11:24 AM(UTC)
mburel1980

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Hi there,

after our first vmix production, now my first forum post.

Here's how our setup looked like during CEV SCD Volleyball in Luxembourg

Cameras:

1x Sony SDI Camera type PXWZ150
1x Sony HDMI FX1000E
1x Canon HD Camcorder HF100

which were all wired through magewell capture dongles (1 SDI, 2 HDMI) to USB3.0 to our PC, The SDI Signal went through a Hyperdeck Shuttle first (to record Raw Material) then to the Capture Card

PC Configuration:

Intel I7 4790, 16 GB SSD, GeForce 2GB Graphics Card, 500 GB SSD System HD

Software setup:

Stream in 1280x720 to rtl.lu and external output to 2x FMLE to Stream to Laola1.tv (1x akamai, 1 x zixi) so 3 streams at the same time.

We used instant Replay from all 3 views, implemented a Video Trailer at the beginning, XAML Titles and eventually a Playlist of recorded Replays (Highlights) with a music footage.

CPU Usage was below 45 % which is quite impressive.

Unfortunately Render Time was sometimes above 30 ms especially while playing video and Highlights.

Audio came through VMIX Audiomixer and an external Behringer 1204 USB Mixer (Live commentary)

Here's the Link to the production if you're interested in

www.rtl.lu/sport/925006.html

As you may notice we had some trouble doing the audio mixing, but don't think it was soft or hardware fault, just our configuration capabilities.

Would be pleased about some comments how to improve.
thanks 2 users thanked mburel1980 for this useful post.
Frank B. on 6/29/2016(UTC), stigaard on 7/6/2016(UTC)
sbpromotion  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 6, 2016 8:49:16 AM(UTC)
sbpromotion

Man

Hi,

Thanks for sharing.

"The SDI Signal went through a Hyperdeck Shuttle first (to record Raw Material)" : this mean that it is your solution for a second record (back-up) if vMix crash ?

I don't watch all the video but seems all camera are on the same way. Why not using SDI for an opposite view ? Perharps it will be more attractive ?

Chris
sinc747  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 6, 2016 2:52:49 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
Nicely done! Volleyball is hard to video because the ball moves so quickly.

A couple of suggestions...

One thing I noticed over the years about live streaming sports (or anything that has lots of action) is that panning the camera produces a blurry image. Better to zoom out and gently pan than to try to follow fast moving action. Or start from a full wide shot and switch cameras to a closer shot.

The camera at court-level was a nice shot. Would have been more enjoyable for me as the viewer if it was mounted on a tripod or at least a monopod. That will help steady the shot.

Also, I would disagree with sbpromotion on using a camera shot from the opposite side of the court for play. Very confusing for the viewer if play suddenly switches from left-to-right to right-to-left. Watch professional level productions, they do not switch sides of the court during a play. The upcoming Olympic games will be a good model for how-to-broadcast volleyball. If you want to use an opposite side camera, use it to show shots of the players and coaches on the bench during timeouts or in replay to show the coach or player reaction to a play.

Loved the use of the court-level camera to show close ups during times outs. Showing the emotions of players and coaches really helps viewers feel the game.

All in all, well done! Please post future matches so we can keep up with your broadcasts.

- Tom
thanks 3 users thanked sinc747 for this useful post.
stigaard on 7/6/2016(UTC), mburel1980 on 7/7/2016(UTC), sbpromotion on 7/12/2016(UTC)
mburel1980  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2016 4:13:13 AM(UTC)
mburel1980

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
@sbpromotion:

The reason of why the sdi signal went through the hyperdeck shuttle first is that we wanted to record high quality clean (without any overlays) close up shots to produce trailers and/or teasers later on.

A camera shot from the opposite side is not an option. First because of regulations for broadcasting Volleyball in Europe and second of the same reason Tom mentioned in his post.

We had another Livestream not using vmix (but vidblaster) in May with 5 Camera angles and 3 Panasonic PTZ Cameras.

http://www.laola1.tv/en-...uxembourg-full-match-len

Due to big CPU usage issue (constantly > 90%) we looked for an alternative and so we came to vmix, which I can say now suits our needs a lot better than vidblaster.

I'm pretty sure our next productions will improve as we are still learning to use vmix and detect new features almost everyday :o)

@sync747: You are so right with the monopod :o) We will use it next time. As I now know, after investigating, the main perspective was shot in 1080i but the Stream was going out in 720p so that could possibly be the reason for the interlacing problems during fast movements.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Marc
thanks 1 user thanked mburel1980 for this useful post.
sbpromotion on 7/12/2016(UTC)
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 7, 2016 7:32:48 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ mburel1980

Welcome to vMix! Many of us have been down that same path with Mike's software, but you'll find very few of us look back, rather it's about embracing the POWER and versatility of vMix (it does take some getting used to compared to the other software, which has a highly customizable UI, but once you get past that, you are well on your way to adopting a workflow within vMix that works for you).

From what I saw of your vMix Volleyball Production, I think it looked pretty good overall. It's hard to know what options you may or may not have had at the venue but my suggestions would be this:

1) If possible use a Higher elevation camera angle (may not have been possible from that side, but certainly looked possible from the stands on the other side). Being able to see more of the "Playing Surface" in perspective is generally better for viewing (between 35 and 60 degrees works well with the optimal between 40 and 45)
2) Although it is most likely out of your control, the electronic advertising banners were very distracting, especially the White Ads. A higher angle will help to alleviate some of the interfering glare and keep it to the upper third or quarter of the screen, but having it right in the middle like that proved to be a problem. If you are able to influence it's use, I would strongly suggest they avoid using bright and/or White display ads.
3) If possible, a second camera from roughly the same angle as the Main camera, which follows the play a little more Zoomed in (follow the Ball cam if you will), this is great for replays, but requires a very capable camera person to execute.

Like Tom, I think the floor cam is great for the breaks in the action and close-ups, not so good for actual game footage too much.
Keep up the great work and let us all know your successes as well as the challenges you face.

Ice
thanks 2 users thanked IceStream for this useful post.
mburel1980 on 7/8/2016(UTC), sbpromotion on 7/12/2016(UTC)