logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RoboST  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 2:32:30 PM(UTC)
RoboST

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
New to vMix, on trial (actually tried vMix a few years back but went a different route). Loving NDI support, capturing remote webcams with audio.

We have a logo (.png with transparent background) we want on the output all the time (bottom right corner). I added an Input/add Image and setup overlay 4 as PIP (resized and positioned). Works.

Is there a better way to add that one image to the output without doing it with PIP?

Since my method above uses one Input, and I have one local webcam and a NDI webcam setup as Inputs (2), I will be maxed out (3) with the Basic HD License. Is there a way to add one image/png to the output without using an Input?

I know I can add a Start/Stop Recording shortcut, which appears on the Web Controller Shortcuts and it records the output.

Why does that web controller button say "StartStopRecordPreview"? How can I change that text?

When I press that, there is no indication via the web controller that recording is active. Is there a way to change the button color when recording (or another way to indicate this on the web controller) like the buttons for Inputs and Previews on the main Web Controller page?

I would prefer to add a button (with indicator) on the main Web Controller page where the Inputs, Previews and transitions buttons (that change color) are, can this be done?

NDI support is awesome, and vMix has such low CPU usage vs our VidBlaster solution.

Thank you in advance!

RoboST  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 2:51:29 PM(UTC)
RoboST

Another issue I see is when using the Lock button. If locked, I can start the Recording from the Web Controller shortcut but cannot stop the recording.

Is there a way to lock the local controls in vMix only but allow the web controller?

In our case, vMix will be minimized all the time, external out to FMLE on that PC (I know we could use the streaming options in vMix, but it's too much info presented to the performer) - control during live streaming will be via the Web Controller. I may have vMix showing on a 2nd monitor attached to that PC.

sinc747  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 2:54:49 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 195 time(s) in 161 post(s)
RoboST wrote:
We have a logo (.png with transparent background) we want on the output all the time (bottom right corner). I added an Input/add Image and setup overlay 4 as PIP (resized and positioned). Works.

Is there a better way to add that one image to the output without doing it with PIP?

There's a vMix Tutorial for that:
?list=PLrm0RX9U0Mzxg-uJeE5Em3DAsgBHHaY8P

Welcome and Cheers!

- Tom
RoboST  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 3:19:14 PM(UTC)
RoboST

Yes, I watched that title/overlay video but didn't see how to add our .png image. It also uses an Input. It seemed to me that using the Add Input / Add image (then setting as PIP) was the easiest but using a Input.

I was planning on just buying the HD Basic license for each performer which is restricted to three Inputs, one would be taken up with the logo.

I will deal with that if there is no other way around adding an Image to the output without taken an Input, perhaps for some I will have to buy the HD License to get more Inputs though we don't need 1000 Inputs.

Too bad there is no way of just buying additional Inputs, à la carte.

I'll wait for replies on the web controller questions.

sinc747  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 5:51:14 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

RoboST wrote:
Yes, I watched that title/overlay video but didn't see how to add our .png image. It also uses an Input. It seemed to me that using the Add Input / Add image (then setting as PIP) was the easiest but using a Input.

Watch again starting here:
?t=5m20s

Pretend that the lower third they are using in the video is you .png image.

- Tom
RoboST  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 6:05:32 PM(UTC)
RoboST

that started from the beginning.. if you reply with the min:sec, I'll watch from there carefully.

IceStream  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 24, 2016 7:07:38 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ RoboST

Any element used in vMix needs to be an "Input".
There is no other way to add an element within vMix.
(there may be ways to embed a logo externally, but that would require additional hardware and/or software)
I think Tom missed that aspect of your question.
This is the benefit of the "1000 Inputs" capability of those versions of vMix above the free and basic versions, virtually endless possibilities.
(anyone would be challenged to actually require 1000 inputs, but it's certainly common for me to have in excess of 50)

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
RoboST on 6/24/2016(UTC)
RoboST  
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2016 3:39:43 PM(UTC)
RoboST

it doesn't look like the API has an command/option to check the current status (Enabled/Disabled) for Recording, nor the Web Interface controller. Am I correct?

I guess I could use a Start Recording and separate Stop Recording shortcut (vs StartStopRecording toggle) but the web interface still won't show that recording is active.
IceStream  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2016 4:34:14 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ RoboST

AFAIK, the only "indicators" are the highlighted icons and buttons in the main UI.
The vMix Control Surface and vDesk for iPad may have that 'lighted' functionality, which would mean that the API is capable of that, but I do not know as I do not have either product.
Perhaps someone or even CloudMediaGroup could chime in on this one...
Subsequently, I know that many users have requested 'light' feedback for MIDI devices, which my understanding is that it is being looked into, but as of yet, that functionality has not been implemented, but I would expect that if it ever is, the ability to 'indicate' Recording and/or Streaming on an external device will also be possible.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
RoboST on 6/25/2016(UTC)
sinc747  
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2016 5:05:35 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

RoboST wrote:
that started from the beginning.. if you reply with the min:sec, I'll watch from there carefully.

Whoops!

Here it is:
?t=5m20s

- Tom
thanks 1 user thanked sinc747 for this useful post.
RoboST on 6/25/2016(UTC)
RoboST  
#11 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2016 9:31:03 PM(UTC)
RoboST

I may do something different for recording..

I was reading this thread and got an idea for my needs: http://forums.vmix.com/d....aspx?g=posts&t=6322

I may run a 2nd vMix license on my laptop for recording via NDI and just grab the 1st vMix Master Video/Audio out via NDI (the 1st Mix will be on the same PC as FMLE, 2nd will only be doing recording (perhaps there is another NDI capture app that I can record with as well but HD Basic is only $60, or I may go the HD $350 route to handle 4 incoming NDI feeds, from 4 vMix HD Basic PC's). I'll test this out.

I'm concerned about recording quality in this NDI setup.

AElli  
#12 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2016 11:31:13 PM(UTC)
AElli

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
RoboST wrote:
I may do something different for recording..

(perhaps there is another NDI capture app that I can record with as well but HD Basic is only $60, or I may go the HD $350 route to handle 4 incoming NDI feeds, from 4 vMix HD Basic PC's).

I'm concerned about recording quality in this NDI setup.

I'm using newtek's NDI ISO'corder
( Free vers. records 2 sources. Pro (paid) vers. records maybe 8 sources ?? ) to record from another PC and works out fine, no issues with quality of saved recordings.

A.
thanks 1 user thanked AElli for this useful post.
RoboST on 6/26/2016(UTC)
RoboST  
#13 Posted : Sunday, June 26, 2016 12:21:39 PM(UTC)
RoboST

Didn't see the free non Pro version when I downloaded the other tools.. gonna give that a go
RoboST  
#14 Posted : Sunday, June 26, 2016 1:16:26 PM(UTC)
RoboST

Gave the NDI IsoCorder a go, records (and I like the interface) but no options to configure the Bit Rate and other things. Set so high, it's overkill for me, doesn't seem to care what is coming in, same high rate.

Also, I can't locate NewTek's SHQ2 codec for playback, perhaps I missed something on IsoCorder's installation... I thought I read Apple is dropping further Windows Quicktime dev..

It's free and only v1, perhaps their Pro gives more config options but I might as well buy another vMix License since NewTek wants $995.