logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DigitalDaz  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2016 6:26:29 PM(UTC)

Groups:

On Thursday I installed a trial of Vmix17 to show a client.

We went on site Friday for a live production and used Vmix successfully all day Saturday. Early on Sunday, during a break I rebooted the machine after installing an mjpeg codec for Adobe Premiere.

When the machine came back up Vmix would not start, instead giving an error "The current Registration is corrupt, please try registering again" and in a box below "Registration.Registration"

Nothing I tried, either entering the email address for a trial nor putting in the trial key I had would work.

Imagine the horror of the client when I told them, that was it, kaput, no more vmix, no more replay from our van for the rest of the day.

We had booked an EVS operator on the Friday who was very critical of vmix but I managed to convince them with the work I had done on the Saturday that vmix combined with other software was a viable alternative to EVS for what we needed. You can imagine what a dick I feel now.

kjones9999  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 13, 2016 6:55:52 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
Did you try reinstalling?
madness  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2016 11:00:06 AM(UTC)
madness

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Using Trial software in a professional instance is IMO, very unprofessional. Especially when getting paid by a client for it's usage.

Installing software before an event is also very risky. I like to install software, reboot, and verify everything still works well in advance of any events. Not Last minute!

Sorry to say, but I feel you were asking for problems.
DigitalDaz  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2016 11:43:54 AM(UTC)

Groups:

Absolute rubbish, I've been working in IT over 20 years, installing a codec and rebooting a machine should not cause this to fail. As to the using trial software, the whole idea was to prove it in a production environment, we were doing it at the instruction of our client. Why should we not use the trial software? Is it somehow not up to the same standard as the paid one? We should buy to try? Why would the full paid version have acted any differently? If I could have a sensible answer to this then I may try it again.
admin  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2016 12:02:33 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi,

Do you remember what the message was when trying to register for the trial again?

"Registration is corrupt" is an error that is usually caused by the XML file used for storing registration information becoming invalid.
This can be caused by file system corruption, overwriting by another application, or things like the system clock being changed to a date in the past or in the future.

I do see a trial registered to an email similar to yours that expired last month, and I would be happy to check your current trial info if you email the email address
used to info@vmix.com.au

Regards,

Martin
vMix

DigitalDaz  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2016 6:39:49 PM(UTC)

Groups:

Martin,

The expired one would have been the one I used for lab testing, I'll email the other one as suggested.

I still think we will be using vmix even though the EVS operator found the instant replay nearly impossible to make sense of, I'll open a thread about this in the appropriate forum.

For some reason they were having difficulty bringing in the prerecorded packages on the Blackmagic ATEM kit and vmix made this silky smooth, especially with the color coded filtering etc.
madness  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2016 12:12:06 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
DigitalDaz wrote:
Absolute rubbish, I've been working in IT over 20 years, installing a codec and rebooting a machine should not cause this to fail. As to the using trial software, the whole idea was to prove it in a production environment, we were doing it at the instruction of our client. Why should we not use the trial software? Is it somehow not up to the same standard as the paid one? We should buy to try? Why would the full paid version have acted any differently? If I could have a sensible answer to this then I may try it again.

I've been an entertainer since 1987, and you don't do anything to jeopardize your reputation to potential or existing clients as you have. Tell your client your reputation is still good, and then watch their response.

I test my trial software at home, in as close to a production environment as I can replicate, and for hours on end. Have done so since the beginning. You're foolish to brush this off. All I can say is God help your reputation, and Thank God it's not mine to repair.

This is not to say unexpected thing cannot happen, as we are dealing with Tech after all, but you can and should reduce your risk when and where possible.

I've dealt with PCs since the Timex Sinclair 1000 days. I am no stranger to what they can and cannot do, or how problematic they can be. I like to live on the edge, but really? Blind trust? You truly are asking for it. Especially being in IT!
AlanZ  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2016 1:31:22 PM(UTC)
AlanZ

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 37 post(s)
And of course, in a live production, I *always* have backup equipment available. In this case a couple of computers, loaded and ready to go if one fails.
One has to consider the "what if" scenarios in advance, and mitigate wherever possible.
thanks 1 user thanked AlanZ for this useful post.
madness on 6/16/2016(UTC)
DigitalDaz  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2016 4:39:01 AM(UTC)

Groups:

AlanZ wrote:
And of course, in a live production, I *always* have backup equipment available. In this case a couple of computers, loaded and ready to go if one fails.
One has to consider the "what if" scenarios in advance, and mitigate wherever possible.

Alan, of course. In the eventual 'production' version we even use managed 10 gig switches in high availability mode. This was purely a test at the request of a client and when I say client here I do not mean the end client that the production was for, I mean the TV company that hires me. The end client did not even notice anything had occurred.

The 'my' client, the TV company usually has a little laugh at the amount of kit I actually bring to site. For example for ISO recordings, I actually have one server per camera and always take a spare. I use BBC Ingex for that http://ingex.sourceforge.net. Not only do I use RAID but also the data is being copied to a NFS NAS too. If anything, I usually overkill the availability.