logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rjmurdock  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2016 8:26:14 PM(UTC)
rjmurdock

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Is it possible to use a Chromecast device to be a 2nd external output from vMix?
AElli  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2016 3:18:41 PM(UTC)
AElli

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 12 post(s)
rjmurdock wrote:
Is it possible to use a Chromecast device to be a 2nd external output from vMix?

If I have understood correctly what your wanting to do... NO.
The Chromecast is not a transmitting device. It's designed as a receiver, to grab an AV feed from a LAN over ip and display that feed out to the connected TV.

There are HDMI to h264 streaming boxes available or HDMI over rf boxes also. Or pc software that can send your video out to a remote PC / TV

A.
rjmurdock  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2016 4:44:21 PM(UTC)
rjmurdock

Man

Actually, I would like to be able to use vMix to transmitter to a Chromecast device over a network as an additional display or external display.

In other words, I would like to be able to "Cast" from vMix.
AElli  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2016 5:38:26 PM(UTC)
AElli

Ah ok, i dont believe vmix will do this nativly.
And I personally am not aware of any device that will send to Chromecast, other than a phone or tablet pc etc.

However converting your 2nd output to an ip stream, (maybe using VLC) and displaying it within the chrome web browser, which has an add-on application from the chrome store that will send the webpages displayed by chrome to the chromcast device.

It's a bit of a gamble and I'm not sure how well it would work but theoretically it "should" work. but first, you need convert your 2nd out to an IP stream to display in chrome.

A.
richardgatarski  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 12:14:29 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
A common misconception regarding Chromecast is that a control device (eg a smartphone) transmits to a Chromecast device (eg inserted into a TV-set). But in fact the Chromecast device gets the content (eg a live video stream) directly from internet (via it's WiFi connection). The control device merely sends information to the Chromecast about what to play, and controls it (eg pause, play, volyme, etc).

In other words, vMix cannot "transmit" its output to a Chromecast device.

In theory someone could write a Chromecast app that plays video streamed to the network from vMix. Imagine the Chromecast works as an NDI player. But given NDI's heavy use of bandwith that's probably not a good idea. Furthermore I am not sure if Chromecast is powerful enough to manage an NDI stream. An app that controls the Chromecast app would also be needed.

To sum up, I don't think its worth pursuing. Sorry...
AElli  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 2:52:38 PM(UTC)
AElli

The Google chrome browser "can" serve its webpage content to a Chromecast device over a lan. There's an app for this available in the chrome app store.

https://chrome.google.co...aghljhdicfkmllpafd?hl=en

"You can also cast any of your tabs in Chrome to your TV, letting you enjoy sites, photos, or even video from the best screen in your home"

if the "out2 feed" can be captured and streamed, and that stream is displayed locally in the google chrome browser the "out2 feed" should appear on the chromecasts attached monitor.

I'm almost in agreement with you in that I wouldn't bother, as i have no need to do this, but the OP does have a need for this and is asking for a solution.

A.
richardgatarski  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 5:34:34 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

AElli wrote:
The Google chrome browser "can" serve its webpage content to a Chromecast device over a lan. There's an app for this available in the chrome app store

I stand corrected, and apologize.
Forgot about that (after I tried it year ago and thought it was useless).
AElli  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 10, 2016 6:00:28 PM(UTC)
AElli

Yes Richard, it is really, I used to run solely with hardware switchers and needed a ways to get webpages into my workflow and that's what I used. Like you
I havnt used the device for well over a year now, introduced to Vmix at release 12 so other than that original use case I don't think I would of purchased the Chromecast device anyway, really limited by the apps that can make use of it.

A.
richardgatarski  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 5:11:30 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

I just did a quick check, casting from a laptop using the plugin for Chrome.

Works OK, but seemingly with reduced frame rate and heavy compression when video material is casted. It uses around 5 Mbps, measured by the laptops performance meter. If I played a YouTube video in my laptop, Chromecast switched over to its YouTube app and plays from the web instead of casting the video from my laptop, while I am still controlling it from Chrome.

Maybe it's not that difficult for Martin to implement streaming from vMix to Chromecast. Perhaps there is some stuff in the libraries he used for Web browser input.

Given the reduced quality it could be useful in some cases, for example for studio monitors (so the talents could see themselves. And for presenting still images, or animations when fps is not important. But not for serious stuff such as IMAG.
AElli  
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2016 4:02:41 PM(UTC)
AElli

richardgatarski wrote:
I just did a quick check, casting from a laptop using the plugin for Chrome.

If I played a YouTube video in my laptop, Chromecast switched over to its YouTube app and plays from the web instead of casting the video from my laptop, while I am still controlling it from Chrome.

That's also exactly as I remember it, but...

I'm suggesting streaming output2 locally, using VLC or OBS and capturing that stream on the same PC to display it from within the chrome web browser page. Chrome sends the stream to Chromecast, so the video signal never goes out beyound your own lan.

I might find time and try it this w/end to see if it works out.

A.
AElli  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2016 3:11:20 PM(UTC)
AElli

Probably no use to the original post as you cant do this nativly in vmix, and still need a 2nd output device to playout the video, but..

it works, kind of, ish..

Using out2, my PC's HDMI out. I fed that signal into a magewell capture dongle.
Captured the dongle image using VLC and streamed over my LAN.
On this same PC I grabbed the stream in Google chrome browser. Which sent the content of its webpage to my Chromecast..

The latency shown on the Chromecast monitor was terrible, and suffered low frame rates. As I'm using a PC that regularly handles 6 1080 sources, +effects +overlays & titles + recording etc with 2 video outputs I know it's not the PC being under powered.

Another test. This time using vmix program out over SDI, using a 'BMD duo card' again capturing and streaming via VLC.
The image on the chromecast was still very much delayed behind the original source and again with poor frame rates. The image quality was fair, and certainly viewable (except for the lower frame rates).

Watching the video in VLC and the video in chrome, i saw no noticeable delay. The delay must be between Google chrome and the Chromecast WiFi connection.

So, id say this isn't a good solution for displaying a Vmix 2nd output.

A.
rjmurdock  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 14, 2016 3:46:53 PM(UTC)
rjmurdock

Man

I appreciate everyone's efforts on this issue. I'm still awaiting a USB to VGA adapter that I hope to use with an HDMI wireless transmitter to provide me with a similar result and not latency issues. Once I've tested this solution out, I'll post something about it.
kaushalmalkan11  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, November 1, 2017 6:47:22 AM(UTC)
kaushalmalkan11

The first step is to open the VLC Media Player on your PC. At that point, pick the file you want to watch.

Pause your video on the off chance that it begins playing naturally.

Now go back to your Chrome browser and tap on the casting tab. This uses your Chromecast so you can watch your VLC video.

Tap the drop-down bolt and select cast desktop.

Next, select your Chromecast gadget in the list.

You'll see a pop-up saying Chrome might want to share your screen. To permit it simply tap the share buttonin the lower right.

Next backpedal to your VLC media player and begin your picked video. Tap the play button and influence your video to full screen measure.

That is it. You're currently viewing your VLC media with your Google Chromecast device through the Chrome browser on your PC.

If you are having any troubles, this article might be the best for you. Else, you can also refer to the solution by XDA.
jcd  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, September 5, 2023 10:39:40 PM(UTC)
jcd

France

i've managed to do it via stream lan that i then cast via chrome onto the chromecast
but you have to stream it to cast it