logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thecloudmediagroup  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 1, 2016 10:58:18 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I discovered a great feature of FFmpeg that might help some of you out there looking to increase the master audio level of your recording quickly without re-encoding your video!

1. Download the 32bit or 64bit build of FFmpeg at this link Download Link
2. Extract the files and locate the ffmpeg.exe file
3. Put your video file in the same folder as the ffmpeg.exe folder. For example, both the video file and ffmpeg.exe would reside on the desktop.
4. Open a cmd.exe prompt in windows and navigate to that folder. In my case I extracted the ffmpeg.exe to the desktop
5. Run this command in the command prompt and change the input file name to match the file you wish to increase the volume. For instance my original file is Sermon.TS and my new file is SermonLouder.TS

ffmpeg.exe -i Sermon.TS -vcodec copy -af "volume=10dB" SermonLouder.TS

This command de-muxes the audio from the video, increases the volume of the video file by 10db and then re-muxes the video and audio together. You can change the DB number to whatever number you wish to increase the volume by. This process does not degrade the quality of the audio or video at all! The process on an 8gb .TS file of mine took a couple minutes. I figured that this would be a huge help to some of you out there needing to increase the volume of some quiet recordings without having to re-export the video from Final Cut or Adobe Premeire.

Hope this helps someone out there!

[EDIT] This isn't a tip for vMix but think this will benefit vMix users :)

-Seth