logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dayson  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2016 11:40:57 AM(UTC)
dayson

Groups: Registered

Hello Vmix-ers !

Here is my Setup:

I have a Thinkcentre running Windows 7, Quad-Core i5 3.2 Ghz, 16GB Ram. This computer has 2 Roxio USB Video Capture cards connected to the USB 3.0 ports and all is working well. I have connected to the USB Capture Cards 2 Canon XL1s cameras (We cant do HD yet.. our local TV station only broadcasts SD for now).

we just received a third camera, but this one will be about 50 feet from the main Switcher (Thinkcentre Desktop). So What I did was, I purchased a Gigb Switch, used my Thinkpad E430 i3 2.8 Ghz, 8GB Ram laptop, purchased another USB capture card, and intend to use this third camera through NDI. I setup Vmix on the laptop and enabled the use of the camera through NDI.

Here is my issue. When I import the Camera on the ThinkCentre Desktop, the video is delayed and choppy (even if low-bandwith is selected).

Dumb question but... do I need to connect the Gigabit switch to the internet for it to work smoothly? Any ideas would be welcomed!
Kelvin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2016 11:46:26 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I understand the new technology is great and that is what you are trying to use, but why not just run a 50 ft piece of coax cable to the camera and connect it directly to your vMix PC? For SD, that should work perfectly.
mjgraves  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2016 12:18:29 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Quote:
Dumb question but... do I need to connect the Gigabit switch to the internet for it to work smoothly?

1. No. There's no need for an internet connection.

2. Check the state of the source video at each step along the signal path.

3. Verify that the camera connection to the laptop is performing correctly. Can you record it to the laptop disk and verify that the result plays back smoothly?

4. Can you stream the laptop's built-in webcam or a video file to the vMix system? That would verify the behaviour of the network and NDI link.

5. You could also use the free NDI monitor utility on a third computer to see how the NDI stream from the laptop looks at a computer that isn't also running vMix.

FWIW, I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon circa 2013. It's an i5 with 8GB RAM and 256 GB SSD. I use the USB 3 dock which has a Gigabit ethernet port. Using NDI Connect it can stream a webcam to vMix on my desktop. NDI Connect is terrible at dealing with webcams, but it proves the NDI link works.

Michael
dayson  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2016 12:47:43 PM(UTC)
dayson

@Kelvin,

I apologize the length is actually more like 110ft.

@michael, I will give that a try later tonight !