logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kgoodyer  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 10:14:57 PM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Can anybody offer any advice on speeding up 'preset' loading. Its taking far to long to switch between presets.

I guess moving to a 6Gbps SATA interface would help, and using SSD's.

CPU is approx 0% but HHD is maxing out at 3Mbps, indicating that everything is preloaded before being able to use the vision mixer.

This is a big issue if VMIX misbehaves mid-production as it can take us 20 minutes to reboot and re-load the preset.

All the best

Keith
Cpilcher  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 10:19:04 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
How many inputs do you have and what model hard disks are you using? I test my production setup on my Notebook and it runs an old mechanical drive, but still loads the preset quickly. Does it take you 20 minutes regularly?

Chuck
kgoodyer  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2016 11:49:36 PM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

I have about 150 inputs (8 x Decklink SDI) the rest are all VT's, Graphics, and a couple of Flash Files. The platform is about the best of the best in terms of performance with exception of the HDD's, which are just Segate run of the mill 3Mbps 2TB drives.

I am sure its to do with the speed inputs can be cached, and wondering if there was a strategy to start broadcasting as soon as possible without having to wait for the whole preset to pre-cache.

It takes about 20 minutes to load the preset from a clean boot, and about 5 minutes if VMIX is closed and reopened, and the same preset reloaded. Weird??

Keith
Cpilcher  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2016 9:20:14 AM(UTC)
Cpilcher

That's a lot of inputs for sure. Wish I could help more but my presets aren't that extensive. although an SSD for your operating system drive would probably give you some improvement. Good luck.

Chuck
Bardos59  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2016 11:13:36 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

150 inputs......good lawd.....I had many inputs, but they were part of a playlist....I had over 40 clips as playlist, so all would do is place them in order I want them to appear, made a shortcut to to trigger them, one for in preview, and one for program, but they loaded in about 2 mins. or less....and my system is a cheapo....core 2 quad, 4 gigs ram, and they load rather quickly to me.....maybe it is the file formats you are using......avi, mpeg, quicktime.....but 20 mins....that is long
kgoodyer  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2016 11:54:21 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

My VT inputs are all encoded in 'project' native 1280x720 50p, in H.264 at 3 to 4Mbps (rendered using FCP). There are 3 x Flash RTMP players, and stills are all 'project' native 1280 x 720 .png files. I have loaded up the pre-set on a different VMIX machine and it takes just as long on a second system. Interesting when its fully loaded VMIX is using about 5Gb of memory (I have 16 installed) but there is no swap file issues as far as I can see. Obviously running a 64bit (Windows 7) system.

My question is is it the VT's that are slowing this down or the shear number of inputs - i.e would it be faster if all the inputs were say stills?

I may need to look at how to reorganise my project, unfortunately the 'Producers' need 'instant' access to any one of about 90 VT's at any time.

Keith
Cpilcher  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2016 6:53:37 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

If you click "open" for the presets there is an "append" feature that will let you select certain inputs. Play around with that and load different configurations to see where the load on the system resides.

Chuck
thanks 1 user thanked Cpilcher for this useful post.
IceStream on 5/19/2016(UTC)
kgoodyer  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 19, 2016 1:14:56 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

Good Idea Chuck!