logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NiBTour  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2016 6:51:21 AM(UTC)
NiBTour

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Okay I have a setup question for you guys. I have 16 game machines I need to capture HDMI output from which ranges from 720p to 1080p but in no way are they intense games at all. It’s a video golf game so very slow and not much fps pressure. So were not talking 4K or high end needs here. All I need is each one captured as an input into vMix.

Now I know how to do it but my question is what’s the most efficient way? And cheapest? I looked at switches and capture cards and a lot are 300$+ each which work with video and everything so I was hoping someone knew of a more economical capture into vMix since none of these games are extreme.

What I’ve used but am looking for a cheaper option (I’m running USB3 which I hate so I’m open to something new):
1. Magewell USB HDMI with a Splitter ($350 each)
2. StarTech USB3HDCAP with a splitter ($240 each)
3. averMedia ExtremeCAP U3 with a splitter ($175 but no sound via HDMI)
4. elgato HD60\HD60S (did not work)
5. averMedia Live Portable\LGX (did not work)
6. Any others?
7. Can I even get that many USB3 connections coming in using pcie or hubs?

So for the StarTech USB3 HDMI capture is the best one for the buck. Another problem I’m running into is I hate USB3 and its limitations. Bulky cords and when I start adding extenders it gets crappy even with the additional power on the extenders. These machines can range from 10 to 100ft away

I’ll also have some machines hooked up with cameras as well (know of any low light cameras that output clean HDMI?) and some roaming cameras using teradek cubes streaming in so when I switch to another game we can get some cam action.

So what would you guys do for that many low end inputs? Any good HDMI switchers or SDI ones that work with vMix? Should I be doing something different?

My potential streaming\broadcasting system is as follows:
1. vMix 4K
2. GeForce GTX 980 4GD5 (Can run two)
3. 32GB DDR4 (upgradable to 128GB)
4. Intel I7-5930K 6 Core 3.5Ghz
5. M.2 512GB SSD
6. 2x open PCIe slots that I plan to use as a thunderbolt port to connect to a PCIe chassis
a. And I could use the other for additional capture cards or anything else
It fits all in a micro ATX form factor so pretty small which I like

I guess my big question is how do people capture 16+ inputs of just slow crappy games without buying a setup designed for high end video that costs 60K+? Open for anything.

-King
ask  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2016 8:09:20 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Why not use desktop captures? Put a couple of NICS in you machine and run Cat5e or Cat6 to a couple of 8 port switches and then to the target machines. Configure the NICS to be on the same subnet.
NiBTour  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2016 8:23:08 PM(UTC)
NiBTour

Man
United States

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 17 post(s)

Real quick in regards to "gaming machines". These are not consoles but actual computers inside the Game pedestal. I have no access to inside the machine or it's hardware just the external HDMI that goes into the TV.

ask:
Not sure I follow you because I don't have access to the computer inside the game but than again you might not of known that. if your talking about something different then by all means please explain a little more.

BETech:

Read about the game actually being a computer but since the computer is built inside the game its not accessible and runs on its own sys via *unix. So I called it gaming machine because its not like a normal eSport computer setup. Anyway this is what I was kind of looking for. SDI i'm guessing would be better because some of these machines could be 150ft away and HDMI is crap at long distances plus those long gables can be bulky! I'll look into this and put something together where I think it would work and maybe you can confirm it. I'll probably buy the small units for testing on 2 or 4 machines before I make the big purchases.

any idea about the machines and handling all that or it won't really matter because the switches only bring in what I tell it to so its not like vMix has all of them in at the same time correct?

-King
desmar  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 16, 2016 11:18:51 PM(UTC)
desmar

Man
Canada

Was thanked: 80 time(s) in 60 post(s)
Best solution would be

2 x Blackmagic DeckLink Quad 2 ... (2 x $900) ($1800)
16 x Blackmagic Micro Converter HDMI to SDI ... (16 x $85) ($1360)
16 x HDMI Spliter

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/decklink/techspecs/W-DLK-30

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/microconverters