logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tonylightfoot  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 9:34:49 AM(UTC)
tonylightfoot

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I used Vmix Pro for the recent Swiss Pro Slalom event, which took place over an entire day in Clermont, Florida and worked almost flawlessly.

https://www.youtube.com/...diUArWOo7o2a0trhn3kVTZcj

I tried to use the Multicorder with a Lacie 2TB Rugged Drive that was daisy chained to the AJA io4k device that with ingesting my video signal and it ended up grinding my system to a halt. I'll use a SSD next time around.
Great system, so keep up the good work.

Antony Lightfoot
Cpilcher  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 10:17:10 AM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
That's a long event! The production turned out very good. Do you have de-interlacing being done in vMix? With the fast action it looks like there is some interlacing between frames... It may just be the video on my phone, but if it can be corrected it would be the icing on the cake.

Chuck

Also when using the multicorder, depending on your quality settings and number of cameras you may want to look into a RAID0 setup or using an independent drive for each video feed.
thanks 1 user thanked Cpilcher for this useful post.
tonylightfoot on 5/13/2016(UTC)
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 11:04:22 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ tonylightfoot

Quite the event, congratulations!
Curious to know the extent of your coverage area and the challenges you faced in setting it all up.
Also, very cool to see the aerial feed (although it broke-up frequently), would love to know more details about that.
All-in-all, it's great to see sporting associations "buy-in" to the possibilities that 'Live Streaming' brings to the table with vMix, I'm sure the organizers and viewers were very pleased with the results.

Thanks for sharing.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
tonylightfoot  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 12:21:23 PM(UTC)
tonylightfoot

Cpilcher wrote:
That's a long event! The production turned out very good. Do you have de-interlacing being done in vMix? With the fast action it looks like there is some interlacing between frames... It may just be the video on my phone, but if it can be corrected it would be the icing on the cake.

Chuck

Also when using the multicorder, depending on your quality settings and number of cameras you may want to look into a RAID0 setup or using an independent drive for each video feed.

Thanks for that. I'm relatively new to Vmix so excuse me for sounding a little green with the follow up questions:

What settings would I need to adjust for the interlacing/deinterlacing on the output?
How do I set up the Lacie Rugged 2TB External Drive to be RAID0?

Again, thank you for the feedback. I'm currently testing out Vmix 17 (I was running the event on Vmix 16) so hopefully there will be some performance improvements there too.

Antony Lightfoot
Cpilcher  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 12:50:20 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

I'm rather new myself. After about 8 months I have finally removed the last of my old hardware out of my production and everything is being done inside vMix.

As far as the de-interlacing, for starters you need to know what signal you are getting from your camera. You would set your project in vMix to this resolution. If it is in fact interlaced video vMix can de-interlace it automatically. Especially for the shots you are getting with the water spray and overall speed of the action.

On the other hand the io4k may be able to de-interlace as well and may give you better performance on the vMix machine.

As far as Raid0, when transferring video I wouldn't use an external drive. To configure a raid you need at least 2 identical drives. There are a few different approaches to configuring a Raid0, but I use the motherboards SATA connectors and Bios settings. It's a good way to get fast write and read times to a disk, but because it splits the data across both drives... If either of the devices fail, you lose everything.

But, in my setup I have my OS drive (Windows 10) and an individual SSD for Instant Replay, and Live Production Recording. I don't need a raid yet until I start upping my resolution past 1080p

Chuck
tonylightfoot  
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:00:34 PM(UTC)
tonylightfoot

IceStream wrote:
@ tonylightfoot

Quite the event, congratulations!
Curious to know the extent of your coverage area and the challenges you faced in setting it all up.
Also, very cool to see the aerial feed (although it broke-up frequently), would love to know more details about that.
All-in-all, it's great to see sporting associations "buy-in" to the possibilities that 'Live Streaming' brings to the table with vMix, I'm sure the organizers and viewers were very pleased with the results.

Thanks for sharing.

Ice

They certainly were. The webcast was generally acknowledged as being one of the best ones produced for the sport in recent times.
Here's an overview of the site that I broadcasted from:

UserPostedImage

Distance from Vmix to Camera 1 - Approx. 700ft
Distance from Vmix to Camera 2 - Approx. 350ft
Distance from Vmix to Camera 3 - Approx. 10ft
Distance from Vmix to Camera 4 (UAV) - Variable

RG6 Coax Cable was used. Each camera had an HDMI output, so BlackMagic HDMI>SDI Converters were placed next to each one. An AJA io4K was used to ingest the signals via a Thunderbolt cable to the ASUS ROG laptop that was running Vmix 16. Aside from the recording troubles the system worked very well.

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully this info will help you guys down the road as well.

Antony Lightfoot

Cpilcher  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:24:53 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

How did you receive the video from the UAV? This is something I have been trying to incorporate into my live productions for a big outdoor event we do each year.

Chuck
corporatejames  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 8:49:18 PM(UTC)
corporatejames

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 62 post(s)
@tonylightfoot nice job. 700ft is 213m how did you find the video signal was there much delay and was it HD? generally Coax-ax SDI has recommended range of 120m in HD, 300m in SD so if working ok then thats good to know if need to have a play with that distance in the future.
thanks 1 user thanked corporatejames for this useful post.
tonylightfoot  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 9:07:23 PM(UTC)
tonylightfoot

Cpilcher wrote:
How did you receive the video from the UAV? This is something I have been trying to incorporate into my live productions for a big outdoor event we do each year.

Chuck

I connected an hdmi splitter which in turn was connected to the DJI Lightbridge video receiver that the UAV transmitted to.
tonylightfoot  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 9:12:21 PM(UTC)
tonylightfoot

corporatejames wrote:
@tonylightfoot nice job. 700ft is 213m how did you find the video signal was there much delay and was it HD? generally Coax-ax SDI has recommended range of 120m in HD, 300m in SD so if working ok then thats good to know if need to have a play with that distance in the future.

The Blackmagic converters helped to boost the signal, as well as providing a zero-latency,1080p59 HD signal into the bargain.
thanks 1 user thanked tonylightfoot for this useful post.
corporatejames on 5/12/2016(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 10:23:54 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
Watched the Women's Final. Great coverage Tony.
thanks 1 user thanked SportsNetUSA.net for this useful post.
corporatejames  
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 10:41:31 PM(UTC)
corporatejames

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 62 post(s)
tonylightfoot wrote:
corporatejames wrote:

The Blackmagic converters helped to boost the signal, as well as providing a zero-latency,1080p59 HD signal into the bargain.

UAV was nice! great job.
thanks 1 user thanked corporatejames for this useful post.