logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mashynewie2  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 7, 2016 12:13:13 AM(UTC)
mashynewie2

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 33 post(s)
This is a local innovations group who have converted their meetings into an online TV show.

ATEM used to be used but this production is now on vMix.

A single operator with 3 cameras (the operator moves 1 single camera to the person who is talking) and there is also a wide shot and a audience webcam.

There is still a lot to fix like focus, audio sync and others, but this will be fine tuned over the next few meets.

We also need to automate the muting of mics. (eg when we play a package or go to a break we need to put triggers in so we don't have to manually do it)

Using:
Intel Skylake 6700 CPU
16gb RAM.
NVIDA Gforce GTX 650 Ti (will be buying a 980ti soon).
2 x 512mbit M.2 SSD's in RAID
2 x 4tb 7200rpm Seagate Black Drives in raid for video storage.
1 x Telstra 4G USB Dongle (1800MHz only) will upgrade to the dual-band (700MHz/1800MHz) one soon.
1 x Vodafone 4g USB Dongle
I don't have the cameras but they were just semi-professional sony's with HDMI out
We used very cheap $50AUD HDMI to SDI converters we got from eBay.
The audience shot was a Logitech c920
We used Speedify for bonding of the 2 connections.
Blackmagic Quad 2 (up to 8 cameras) in
Full screen output (HDMI) to projector and venue TV's
Streaming to YouTube Live at 3.5mbits 1080p

Audio:
We have a Behringer X32 RACK which we connected all our mics to. That was then connected to the PC via a USB (ASIO) cable and each mic was a different mixer on vMIX allowing us to control the levels via VMIX and the PA output separately (so basically if we adjusted the PA levels in the x32 it didn't affect anything going into vMIX because the output to vMIX via ASIO was pre-fader. We also have a Dante card for the X32 but we preferred USB because it didn't need dante installed and running in background (less stuff on the PC the better).

Can't wait to start using NDI for other productions.

I also can't wait for VMIX to be able to send MIDI commands so we can control our x32.

thanks 1 user thanked mashynewie2 for this useful post.
stigaard on 5/7/2016(UTC)
Ed Tech  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 7, 2016 10:32:59 AM(UTC)
Ed Tech

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Looks good. I like the uniform randomness of your opening.
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 7, 2016 12:24:31 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
How have you found the transition from the ATEM to vMix?
Overall, I think the production looks good, but more attention needs to be paid to the audio of the stream/recording (it's a little too loud).
I realize this can be difficult to monitor with the PA feeding the audience/hall at the same time, but "Audio" is probably the single most critical element of any production, if you get that right, you are well on your way to having a good show (at least from an audience perspective).

Ice
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 7, 2016 5:12:38 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Great production! Thanks for sharing it, and the specs behind.

In addition to the other comments I suggest you try to balance the light between the Sony cams. I think they have the same white balance, but the one for wide shots looks a little bit darker than the one for close ups. Even though you can correct in vMix, its better to trim the camera (open up the aperture).

Also, I am curious about how you used Speefify - for increased bandwidth or for backup? I tried Speedify a few weeks ago, but the my speed decreased with Speedify. That is, the speed I measured with Speedify on using two connections was lower then when I used a single connection without Speedify.

Thanks.
mashynewie2  
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 7, 2016 9:30:57 PM(UTC)
mashynewie2

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 33 post(s)
IceStream wrote:
How have you found the transition from the ATEM to vMix?

It's a LOT LOT better because I was fiddling across ATEM, CasparCG and all these other screens just to do a production. Now, all I do is operate vMIX and also, vMIX does a lot lot more.

IceStream wrote:
Overall, I think the production looks good, but more attention needs to be paid to the audio of the stream/recording (it's a little too loud).
I realize this can be difficult to monitor with the PA feeding the audience/hall at the same time, but "Audio" is probably the single most critical element of any production, if you get that right, you are well on your way to having a good show (at least from an audience perspective).

There is so much going on and the venue is VERY loud it's very hard for a single person to do that, but I think over time, it definitely can be perfected. Or if I can get a second audio operator in who is experienced, then it will be good.

richardgatarski wrote:
I suggest you try to balance the light between the Sony cams

Thanks for the tip! Everything was on automatic, I will try and change it next time, i'm not experienced in using white balance so i'll fiddle.

richardgatarski wrote:
Also, I am curious about how you used Speefify - for increased bandwidth or for backup? I tried Speedify a few weeks ago, but the my speed decreased with Speedify.

All the 4G carriers in our country (Australia) already have 30+ mbit upload speeds so speed isn't an issue. But shared mobile networks an fluctuate wildly, eg, if someone in the area decides to download a massive file etc you may get packet loss. Also, the dongles aren't always 100% reliable so they can drop out etc. Speedify has forward error correction so if you drop a packet, or if the mobile network slows down or the dongle cuts out speedily will re-deliver the lost packets over the other connection before the TCP/IP layer even notices. So if gives you a 100% rock solid connection that doesn't drop out and doesn't drop packets. It is TRUE bonding, not just backup.

You can even put it in "Redundant" mode so that all packets in and out go via BOTH connections. And the packet that arrives first is processed. If I do skype interviews I will switch it to redundant mode and the video will simply not cut out. If you use speedify in both locations then the video will never pause or pixilate

I will end up buying a 3rd 4G dongle for the other 4G carrier in Australia (Telstra, Optus, Vodafone) so it will help things even more.

=====

Here is an event we did with an ATEM last year, this year (25th June) we will use vMIX. I'll post the link up once we do this event.
http://huntertv.com.au/2015/02/stars-of-newcastle/