logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Frank B.  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 6:04:07 AM(UTC)
Frank B.

Groups: Registered

My name is Frank. I want to get some advise on live streaming for a beginner and I thought that maybe guys can give me some advise on how to get started, I'm currently in the LA area in California I have a limited budget to start, what section would you recommend on type of business I should call on, lets say if i had only 1 camera, a laptop with v-mix, and with audio mixer
Or what equipment would you recommend I use, to get started? I would appreciate you knowledge and experience, that you might be able to share,
Thanks Frank B.
corporatejames  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 6:37:42 AM(UTC)
corporatejames

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Hi Frank

Welcome to world of Streaming and Vmix

For streaming service to start off with zero cost I would recommend YouTube
as it free to stream and keeps recording of the event at the end of the stream
which can be handy if your laptop can't handle stream and record at the same time.

Laptop wiith Nvidia Graphics card is recommended for using with Vmix

if have any questions just let us know and I'm sure everyone here will offer plenty of support and advice on hardware etc

What are you looking to do and budget?
Speegs  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 6:39:43 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Welcome Frank.

I'm working in reverse order here, from where you want to deliver your video to and eventually how you acquire it.

I'd say check out Youtube live to send your streaming to. They are high latency, but free and loads of bandwidth. Just be aware never to stream music to Youtube. Not saying Youtube Live is for everyone, just a good place to start with a low budget for a streaming server.

So that is sorted, make sure your laptop (or desktop) has a good CPU. Some kind of i7 Quad will see you go far (not a must, but as you add cameras it helps at lot). Next check the Graphics, try and have an Nvidia. Not too many options on a laptop, but Vmix is making better use of the GPU with every new version it seems. So it will help to have at least a moderate graphics card/chip.

On a laptop you would want USB 3 port and hopefully more than 2. Beware at lot of laptops share a usb bus for several ports. Not a problem with 1 camera, but as you add more cameras.

Then you need a capture device. The best one I've used are made by Magewell. They are not the cheapest. I've been tempted by others but I always come back to them. They quite simply just work with minimal fuss.

I hope that helps, feel free to offer more details about what you are doing, my advice here is quite generic, but your post is short on details.

For instance, youtube live might be a bad choice if you are streaming music videos. So please share a little more to get better advice.
Speegs  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 6:52:02 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
My only other word of advice. Don't always go the cheapest item. Really research things for your needs. Getting a low quality camera that only does 720p or has no optical zoom options will be a false economy to buy "cheap" as you will end up quickly wanting to get that 1080 camera with a better lense in most scenarios.

Buying a 2 channel audio device (while portable and cheap) might be worth that little bit extra to get a 4 or 8 channel, but only you know what jobs are just around the corner. I personally find having more than the minimums give you some room to expand. With live work, often you are given job x. It quickly becomes job x + y when you get there :) It's hard to add "untested" equipment onto your rig last minute. If a customer is involved they usually only tell you half of what they want and assume it's not problem to get more cameras, more microphones, more graphics added with really not much notice. (Vmix makes most of that possible by the way).
corporatejames  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2016 6:52:31 AM(UTC)
corporatejames

Man
Australia

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 62 post(s)
@Speegs Agree on the music thing with YouTube. Its a pain even picks up audio from court announcers in the building you have their own music
playing when doing sports streaming.