logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Saieash  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 1, 2016 9:30:00 PM(UTC)
Saieash

Groups: Registered

I'm new to vMix and I have tried out the demo a while ago, however I need a solution soon and I was wondering if I should take the plunge and get this software. I want to do some live broadcasting in an event (there will be screens on either side of the stage). A while back, I tried using vMix getting inputs from capture cards form cameras but there seems to be noticeable latency going through vMix. I tried this a while back and it might be improved now and the capture card I was using was far from top of the line.

So I was wondering, what do you think is the cause of this lag? I think I read somewhere that vMix has a 2 or 3 frames lag, but this was much more noticeable than that. It was easily 0.5 seconds of lag - at least - which means at least 12 frames, which is significantly higher than the 3 frames.

What do you think the cause of the lag was? Do you think the issue was the capture card? Or maybe was my computer too slow? It was a decent i7 laptop, and cpu usage was barely increased. So I don't think the issue is there. Was it because I tried it out a while ago? Has latency improved in the newer version of vMix?
Or is the issue that it is a software solution? Should I go with a hardware switcher instead of going through software? I was thinking of something like the Blackmagic ATEM Television Studio. What do you think?
Ed Tech  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 2, 2016 8:19:32 AM(UTC)
Ed Tech

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
The forum may need to know a little bit more.
My experience has been that any i7 should be sufficient for most situations, but you might let us know what processor and how much ram.

My first guess would probably be Your graphics card. vMix is very dependent on the GPU. What graphic card are you using?

Finally, what capture device are you using and what is your capture rate?

This forum can help a great deal, but we'll need a little more information.
Speegs  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 2, 2016 8:34:22 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
The latency in vmix has always been low. If it's more than 10-50ms then there is something wrong with your setup. As Ed Tech said, it can be many things. Vmix works with many devices and is generally very compatible, but not all devices/cameras and/or combinations work perfectly together.

Is your capture device a low latency device? Vmix will work even if it's not, but you just won't get a low latency production.
Mathijs  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 2, 2016 11:42:42 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
If you use the fullscreen output from the videocard, you get the 2-3 frame latency.
When you use a sdi output card, the latency will be higher, as the system needs to copy each frame from the videocard to the sdi output card.
Bear in mind that the 2-3 frame latency is from the input to the output on vMix only. Everything else in the chain will add up to the total latency.
So try to eliminate other switchers between the vMix system and the projectors. Some consumer and prosumer camera's can have latency's of multiple frames.
When using dome camera's, hanging them upside down with image flip on, will add latency to their outputs.
Projectors will also add latency, which might even be higher when using image enhancement. Always look if they have "game mode" or "low latency" in their image settings.
Geometry or other advanced functions within the projectors can also add latency, so put the projectors at the perfect position and try to avoid using any image enhancement engines.
Tell clients there will be latency when they do their request. That way they won't freak out at the moment itself while they feel under pressure, thinking there is something wrong.
If it is a big venue, the audio won't be in sync everywhere anyway, because light travels much faster than audio. 50M or 163ft will already give you 145ms audio delay, so lots of times it isn't such a big problem anyways.