logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AlanZ  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2016 8:13:26 AM(UTC)
AlanZ

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I posted this in the 17 preview thread, but I didn't see a reply. This goes to a different kind of compatibility with previous versions.

In vMix 16, a Basic HD license could bring in 3 cameras and a desktop capture (perhaps a skype window).
This is a configuration we have been recommending for a particular important use case.
Is this still possible in vMix 17, or is the NDI desktop capture always counted as an additional camera input?
If the latter, could the license terms be reconsidered to allow one NDI stream in addition to the 3 cameras?

Thanks for a great product!

admin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2016 12:28:23 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4136 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi AlanZ,

I have created a new thread for this question since it is unrelated to the other thread.
To answer your question, desktop capture is now considered a camera in Basic HD.

For those that have purchased Basic HD, they can continue to use vMix 16 for 3 cameras + 1 desktop capture
or upgrade to vMix 17 and use the new features at the expense of one less camera when using desktop capture.

I apologise for the inconvenience and can offer a refund for any customers unhappy about the change.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
AlanZ  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 27, 2016 12:57:55 PM(UTC)
AlanZ

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 44 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Martin,

Thanks for the reply... so let's put this on my wishlist...

I would like to see the license modified slightly so that a vMix 17 (and future versions) could use 3 camera inputs and one "other" input, including a Desktop capture (which perhaps could have some special meta-data captured to flag it as a non-camera NDI input)
Or perhaps an additional license level where they can add one or two extra NDI sources.

Going back to (and basing future dependencies on) the feature set of Vmix 16 is not a strategy that I want to promote.

I love the new feature set, and particularly for volunteer organizations where resources are very limited, the Basic HD license is a great tool, but they need to be sure of the longevity of existing features (in this case a licensing change) going forward. Hopefully, as their needs increase they can (as I have) upgrade to a full HD license.

I hope something can be worked out... vMix is otherwise perfect for these use cases.

In June am going to teach a session at a national symposium about doing remote demonstrations , and vMix 17 will feature prominently in the recommended hardware/software configurations.

Thanks for your ear.