logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ragnvald  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 2:47:05 AM(UTC)
Ragnvald

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone using vMix!

I'm in desperate need of help.

I've been following these instructions but I've yet to succeed to get "echo free" or "delay free" audio when playing video clips (that contain audio) in vMix. Please help, this is driving me to insanity.

I follow this set up.

UserPostedImage

I use an external mixer in other words.

I use a focusrite scarlett 2i4 USB audio card on my vMix computer (2 in and 4 out). I go from Monitor out on my external mixer into channel 1 & 2 on my audio card. I've added an audio input that pick up the audio coming in from my mixer.

Then, in order to hear the audio in the video clips that I play in Mix, I patch out the audio from output 1 & 2 on the USB audio card and go into two additional channels on the external mixer.

This is the only way that I, my co-host and Skype guest(s) can hear the video clips that are being played in vMix during the live show, but now there is an echo/delay ...and worse is that this echo/delay is also being recorded.

Obviously patching audio out from the main mix on the external mixer and then routing it back in again is going to cause this effect, I understand that, but I just can't understand what I'm supposed to do to get around this and to prevent the audio i want to her from going back into vMix from the external mixer again.

I've been trying every conceivable combination under settings in vMix: different outputs, different inputs, different recording settings and I've tried to run the audio from the video clip to bus A or B to try to separate it. I still can not escape the fact that I need to rout vMix audio into the mixer again, in order to hear the clips we're playing.

I just don't understand what I'm supposed to do here. I must be missing the most obvious thing?!

Please help. How do I get echo/delay free sound when playing a video clip in vMix, while using an external mixer? Is there routing or an option in the settings that I'm missing?

How does everyone else solve this problem?

Thank so much for your help. I've spent two days on this problem now and I just can't think of anything else to do.
ovinas  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 4:35:56 AM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
The keyword here is "Mix Minus". That means that you have to create a mix without signals you don't want to have in that mix. Without "Mix Minus" you're creating audio loops that will cause your problems.
Your main mistake is using the monitor or main out on your external mixer to feed into vMix. It's not possible to do a "Mix Minus" on these outputs. Instead use the "AUX SEND" or (like on the mixer in your picture) "FX SEND". Now turn all the "FX" knobs of channels that you want to route to vMix to a usable level, start with 12 o'clock. Don't turn the knob on the channel that comes from vMix. Now you killed the first audio loop.

Let's go on with vMix. Go to settings --> audio outputs. Set your "Master Output" (Bus M) to none. This is the bus for the recording and streaming so you don't need a physical output for this. Set "A" (Bus A) to channel 1 & 2 of your Focusrite. Now you can route all the audio signals you want to have in the recording/streaming to bus M. Bus A will be your "Mix Minus" and you should route only signals that are generated inside of vMix (like videos) to this bus. Take care that you do not route the audio input from your external mixer (FX SEND, see above) to bus A! Now you killed the second (possible) audio loop.
thanks 1 user thanked ovinas for this useful post.
Ragnvald on 4/17/2016(UTC)
Ragnvald  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 3:25:55 PM(UTC)
Ragnvald

ovinas, you're a life saver! Thank you so much. You solved it.

I can't believe I didn't think of the using AUX (Mix minus) for this. As I said, it was right in front of my nose, couldn't just think of it. I guess I've generally wanted to avoiding running audio out through AUX that is going to be recorded/streamed. But it works, and that is what matters.

The only tiny issue that I'm struggling with now, is whether or not I should run both 1 & 2 out from my Focusrite/vMix into the external mixer, since I don't know if that creates "real" stereo or just two mono channels that have been doubled.

I'll have to do a few tests and listen to it.

Can't thank you enough! Brilliant.
ovinas  
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2016 4:10:47 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
It depends on the inputs you're using on the external mixer. If you use a stereo line input channel it's real stereo.
If you use single input channels for each output of your Focusrite you just have to pan them hard left for the first channel and hard right for the second. Then you will have real stereo on the main output.