logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lyinawake  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:57:11 PM(UTC)
lyinawake

Groups: Registered

We want to have 2 vMix systems in 2 different cities connected via the internet and have 1 vMix system able to ingest the output of another vMix system so it can rebroadcast with its own local cameras or the produced feed from another system. We have successfully tested a POC of the slave vMix system streaming to our Wowza server and then using the Flash/RTMP input on the master vMix system to grab that feed and rebroadcast it. This works, but introduces a seemingly unnecessary hop in the middle and 4-5s of latency. Have any of you successfully used some of the other streaming types to get vMix->vMix streaming going (e.g. Transport Stream over TCP)?
tnorrell  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 4:44:09 PM(UTC)
tnorrell

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Any thing that goes across the internet is going to have latency, and it is always going to be unpredictable. the 4-5 second delay is not just the transit time it takes to get video from one side to the other.. it is also the buffer that needs to be put into place to be able to handle jitter, dropped frames, and delay.

Again, ANYTHING that travels across the public internet is beyond your ability to control. However, there are neat tools that allow you to carve out tunnels that can improve the routing of your package and thus make the packet transmutations more reliable. I suggest that you look into setting up a VPN between the two sites. Once you've setup your VPN, you can dial in your QoS for packets that cross inside your WAN, and even optimize the way VPN tunnels deal with the inconstancies of the network they are inside of.

Once you have a direct connection set up, you can direct your remote vmix to send two streams. one to the wowza server, and the other directly to your local vmix.
thanks 1 user thanked tnorrell for this useful post.
lyinawake on 3/31/2016(UTC)
lyinawake  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 5:24:38 PM(UTC)
lyinawake

Do you know how to stream directly from vmix to vmix? That's what I'm not sure how to do. Or will I need to setup a Wowza server on my vMix system to receive the stream and then connect vMix to localhost to pull the stream?
JimJacobs  
#4 Posted : Friday, April 1, 2016 12:17:55 AM(UTC)
JimJacobs

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Are the machines in the same location? If so, just use NDI.
kjones9999  
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 3, 2016 9:04:50 PM(UTC)
kjones9999

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 50 post(s)
http://forums.vmix.com/d....aspx?g=posts&t=5877

I have used this -- there will be latency though.

I was really thinking that this type of method would be useless after NDI, but looks like bandwidth requirements will make this method useful for the foreseeable future.