logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Luca  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 5:31:47 PM(UTC)
Luca

Groups: Registered

Greetings to friends of the forum , I apologize for the banality , but we are completely new to the argoments.
We are testing the trial, but is shure we'll bay basic hd software.

Our ideal setup for streaming will be with a real camera for zoom shots and a web cam for long shots , but we'll get to this later, because for the moment we can not have a capture card (we're no profit).

So the decision to begin the meantime with a single camera.

The question: today we found that is possible work with Vmix with an external webcam directly (without capture card) attached via USB to the notebook. It works perfectly.

At the the same way, can be possible attack a real camera (camcorder with zoom) instead of the webcam directly to the laptop via usb (or we have hdmi and usb3)?

If it can be, what features should have the camcorder to buy for this use? (or what model you suggest round 150-200 $)

Of course, as soon as conditions allow, it is our intention to purchase a capture card to attack the second camera ( in this case we will still disturb again because we did not find external models that work with a laptop )

Thank you and all the best

Luca
Ed Tech  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 29, 2016 7:08:44 PM(UTC)
Ed Tech

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Luca,

Here are my thoughts. It sounds like you are really starting without much equipment. Sound like a laptop, webcam and a few dollars for a camcorder. If this were me, and it pretty was a couple of years ago, I would start with the FREE edition of vMix, the web cam, a camcorder and a USB SD capture card. This would be the cheapest way financially and would keep your quality at a consistent level. Well produced SD are not a problem. Yes we would like them to be in HD, but it takes a good bit of money to go HD.

Starting with what you have, my first purchases would be for a USB2 SD capture card. I have heard good things about EZCAP.tv products, (They are available for $37 at www.easternshorebroadcasting.com. I have seen a lot of knock-offs to EZCaps, this model is highly recommeded) I have also used USB capture devices from Kworld and ion2 without an issue.

If you are start in SD, you can begin with a camcorder. If you are in SD, then old tape based camcorders are even an option. I have been gifted more than one of these in the past. It's not what I really wanted in my dreams, but it was what I could afford and would still but out a decent SD picture.

Technically, I really think that after I had achieve a good SD picture, I would look to improve the quality of my audio. Camcorder mics normally leave a great deal to be desired in audio. This should not set you back too much and give you an even level of quality throughout your production.

Now's where the upgrade path begins and your decision on how to move forward.

My first purchase would be a desk top computer. They can also be upgraded in the future, but the key factor is the processor. It's easy to increase RAM, upgrade graphics cards, and install capture cards. The CPU and motherboard are the crucial components. The graphics card will need to support DirctX10, but I would look for 11.

At this point it's time to go HD. If you have the camcorder that is HD compatible, your almost home....you'll still need a capture card such as the Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K ($200) and the HD Basic software. I prefer pci connections over USB connections as there is only so much bandwidth in a USB channel, and the fact that USB HD adapters generally begin about $300.

Others may have other insights for you....this is a great forum.....and good luck.
Luca  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 5:03:08 AM(UTC)
Luca

Thank you Ed, the way you drew is perfect..
However, to make the first step I have to clear my head

I state that this work must be with laptop because we move on public transport so... desk top is impossible. Also, we dont' worry about audio because we take line in from professional mixer of event...

We start with only one cam by force. Having said that, we understand that with a web cam ( maybe good , digitech 930e ? ) we don't need capture card, Vmix works egregely and we can do streaming with laptop input usb ... but...
web cam has not zoom and for our use it is about fondamental (Amateur theater)

So we are therefore considering the first purchase, the question is:
to buy a videocam (Canon Legria e.g.?) hoping she works directly input to laptop like the web cam we tested...? In this case, what model of camera can be better around 200$ ?
if no possible, buy a good web cam ( maybe good like one quoted) renouncing zoom and start anyway... waiting for the capture card and the second camera with zoom when it will be possible.

We know, it is no easy situation... thank you for patience.

Luca

IceStream  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 30, 2016 10:14:16 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Luca

You have options, but any camera other than a webcam will most likely require a capture device of some sort to use with your laptop.
What are the specs of your laptop?
(if by chance it is older, you may have a firewire port which opens up additional options with some older cameras that you may be able to find at a discount).
The bottom line is, find the camera you want and then figure out what you'll need to use it with your laptop, if both items fit your budget, then go for it.

Ice
Luca  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 3:56:19 AM(UTC)
Luca

Thank you IceStream, thank you Ed Tech,
it's time to dive and swim...
last advice : do you know or know suggest us video capture cards able to connected to laptop?
Our laptop:
Intel Celeron Processor N2830
4 GB DDR3
1 HDMI
2 USB 2
1 USB 3

a greeting to all the friends of this fine forum

Luca
Ed Tech  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 7:34:22 AM(UTC)
Ed Tech

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Luca,

I'm a little afraid that your Celeron powered laptop is going to push the limits. The webcam is USB, and a USB capture card may prove to max out or even go beyond the available USB bandwidth in your laptop. When this happens on a PC, the option of a pci expansion card is available, but you are going mobile...

Personally, if I were to purchase a USB capture device, I'd look at the Magewell line. They are not cheap and likely to set you back $300. You can purchase for either HDMI or SDI.

Hope that helps,
mjgraves  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 31, 2016 11:03:50 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
Luca,

I seriously question the choice of a laptop with a Celeron CPU. My own desktop has a an AMD FX6100, which is nearing 4 years old. It dramatically outpaces (more than 5x!) the dual core N2830 Celeron.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/...ron-N2830-vs-AMD-FX-6100

My desktop can handle 720p30 with a couple of webcams and an HDMI capture card. It works well enough sending the stream to YouTube Live. However, if I use it in conjunction with a Hangout the CPU goes into the 90-100% range. vMix and the Hangout combined are at the edge of what it's capable of doing.

My laptop is a 3 year old Lenovo with an i5 3427U. It deliver 3x the performance of the N2830!

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/...U-vs-Intel-Celeron-N2830

I really think that an i5 is the minimum you should consider. A Celeron is well below an i3. They're one step above an Intel Atom...which is found in netbooks.

As to the matter of USB bus bandwidth. The availability of a USB 3 port works in your favor. USB 3 has 10x the bandwidth of USB 2. You can likely use a USB 3 hub to connect all your USB devices without issue. I've had several USB 2.0 webcams connected to an Anker USB 3.0 hub, along with USB headsets. No problems.

Michael