logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Aboonah  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 11:22:54 PM(UTC)
Aboonah

Groups: Registered

I've searched the forum and didn't find anything on this subject.

Livestream has introduced a new live-streaming device...their description: "The Livestream Broadcaster streams live HD video to any device without the PC. It functions as a desktop encoder connected to a multi-camera video production switcher or as a battery powered (via three enclosed AA batteries) portable wireless encoder mounted to a camera and streaming via Wi-Fi or a USB 3G/4G Wireless Modem."

It will encode and upload SD or HD via an output from a video mixer. I've not seen one, but their amazingly inadequate promo video indicates that "any camera" (obviously one with an HDMI output) or a video/audio mixer can plug in an HDMI cable from the source camera or mixer to the Broadcaster. It is dedicated to encode and upload to Livestream. It's has an RJ-45 LAN port for output to the lan/internet, besides the wireless capability.

Our production computer outputs HDMI video/audio to our monitors, so it ought to provide what the Livestream needs.

My question is, can vMix be used to send video to the Livestream Broadcaster? If so, how?

Thanks for any help offered.

Aboonah
Steadirob  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2012 1:46:18 AM(UTC)
Steadirob

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi, this Livestream Broadcaster is a little box, pre-configured to encode and connect to Livestream.

I don't have that box but a similar device from Teradek (Cube) that also comes with presets for connecting to several telecom providers and streaming providers.
The Livestream Broadcaster looks very similar to the Cube, so they might come from the same suppliers....

I have not used my Cube to encode and stream to Livestream, my first test were just directly connected to a wireless network and then connect to Livestream with the Flash Media server.
That worked reasonable, with a delay of approx. 30 seconds.

Can vMix connect to the broadcaster? sure, if you can output a signal that it can understand. My Cube has SDI input so it must be SDI from a decklink card or such.
The Broadcaster needs HDMI and you can get that out of the video card, normally. The issue might be with the audio which might be handled separately in the computer.
SDI-audio is then more useful because it can be embedded into the stream.

In my system I have besides the Decklink card also an HDMI output from my videocard that includes the audio-stream. The Datavideo HDMI to SDI converter embeds this audio stream in the SDI so they are always locked.

Aboonah  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2012 9:00:34 PM(UTC)
Aboonah

Thanks, Steadirob, that's helpful. Our production computer actually outputs video/audio at the Display Port and we convert it to HDMI with an external adapter.

But I'm still unclear about the output from vMix: looking at the description and FAQ, etc., I wonder how to set output...there seem to be several choices. We have no need to record locally - we let Livestream do it on their end for archiving. All we need is a video/audio that will end up at the Display Port. Sorry to be so clueless...we're still learning all of this!
Steadirob  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 23, 2012 12:11:11 AM(UTC)
Steadirob

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
So you need to stream the image (and sound) that you see (and hear) on your HDMI monitor? As I said earlier, I have not worked with the Livestream Broadcaster but it looks to me quite straightforward: connect that same HDMI signal from your computer to the box and you're set. You probably need a HDMI-splitter (that supports audio) to view the monitor AND feed the box.

The Broadcaster will scale and encode the image to make it suitable for the available bandwidth of your internet connection. There is a whole settings menu in that little box too.

Rob
Aboonah  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 24, 2012 4:10:59 PM(UTC)
Aboonah

Thanks, again. After I posted the reply I realized that the answer to my question was self-evident! Now I'll check in with Livestream and ask a few questions. I'll pass on what I find out in case others have an interest.