logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Steadirob  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:52:10 AM(UTC)
Steadirob

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I realize that vMix is originally not intended for my use, but it has a lot of goodies and possibilities and is -so far- the most stable program that can record HD in multiple flavors and qualities and with the speed and expansion that I have not seen in other programs.

One thing that I miss is a good file management system.
I record on an avarage day between 50 and 500 takes, divided into multiple setups and positions.
This needs a serious management and at the moment I do this manually, making separate folders and naming the related files.
That takes way too much time and is prone to errors and mix-ups.

In the SD era, until some years ago, I used a program called "CockpitCube" that had a well developed SQL-server based data management to keep track of this, and it works quite well. But SD is no more ( it recorded in DV-avi format) and I need something new.
This program also kept track of playback speeds, in and out points, and some more details.
It also allowed dragging files from the " takes" folders to the "rehearsals" folders if needed, and have other folders like "stills", "special effects" and "reference" that were kept together, so when you open a certain shot, you would get all the connected files available as well.
Additionally it was incremental-numbering the takes, which is very helpful when trying to be in sync with the -still used- slate board from the camera crew.

It was probably not easy to make this work but at the end of its life, it worked pretty well.

I don't expect that this is a priority development for vMix, but it would be nice.... For me at least as well as several other people working in this "video-assist" business.

There is "professional" software available but for the MAC platform and at a premium price. This is definately something I want to pay for when it would appear in a Pro vMix version.

Rob

( recording more that 250 files from a Highspeed Phantom camera today, but luckily some time to be online too ;-). )