logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mavrick816  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2016 9:47:07 PM(UTC)
mavrick816

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I was testing the best output resolutions based on my bandwidth and was wondering if there was a general "rule of thumb" for Stream settings vs Output size. If I go larger resolution, will the quality go higher? and if it does, how come the stream rate still says 1.5mbs at 720p? I would think that the higher resolution you go, the higher the stream rate would be.

Bottom line, I would like to get the best Video Quality at my current Stream Rate. The target audience screen would mainly be the iPad Mini Resolutions or 22" or higher Desktop Monitors (1280x760)

My Stream Configuration is:

Frame Rate: NTSC 29.97p
Output Size: 720x480
Stream Rate: H264 720p 1.5mpbs AAC96kbs
use FFMPEG

What would be the best combination setting?
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 20, 2016 1:44:34 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ mavrick816

I'm not so sure about "rule of thumb" guidelines other than going by the 'presets' listed by the encoder of choice.
I am inclined to match my Stream Rate to my Output size whenever possible based on available bandwidth such that the 'presets' will pretty much indicate how much headroom you'll need for a quality stream at that resolution. If your settings are at or below the 'preset' requirements then you are likely fine, but anytime you set-up a custom setting that exceeds the 'preset' configuration, you are potentially asking for trouble (i.e. trying to stream full HD @ 1080p at 300kbps). Just because the encoder can be configured manually to do that, doesn't mean it will produce good results for you, that's where testing your own parameters for what works best in your situation is always beneficial.
The bottom line is, the encoder doesn't automatically adjust itself, you have to configure it.

Ice