logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
h2video.nl  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 19, 2012 7:04:49 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Hi VMixers,

For a recording I want to use the full-screen output. I have tested it outputting the full-screen on the split monitor of my laptop through HDMI. This is working fine! The recording is good and the output screen is good.

But I noticed that if I switch to the external screen using the windowsbar in the bottom (the Vmix screens can be viewed and accessed here through the icon) that the recording is increasing in dropped frames (from 0 to any numer related to the viewing of the Vmix icons in the bottom).

Does anybody have the same problem? iow: is it a bug or is it something to do with my graphics card. (if I don't touch the bar all is OK...)

In addition (I am doing a lot of testing to get the system work 100% reliably) I noticed that the video capture was unstable at some point in testing (flickering input). I switched from battery to mains power and all was solved: So the input quality can also be related to the powersource of the camera used.

Cheers Stefan
Steadirob  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:43:10 AM(UTC)
Steadirob

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Could it be that the graphic card is making another - downsized - live screen and that it reaches the maximum of its capacities?

I know that something similar can happen with VLC and downloading streams via my Teradek Cube: just viewing is OK but viewing AND recording that stream can be too much for the encoder because it is a second stream that it has to generate for that recording.
Something similar might be happening in windows: besides the main full screen you ask the GPU to make a second live thumbnail but it has to compress all that full screen info

Rob
Steadirob  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:00:39 AM(UTC)
Steadirob

I just tested this on my system and see that with every extra output switched on or recording starting the cpu usage and the render time increases slightly. i don't know what the maximum render time can be before dropped frames appear.
h2video.nl  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:38:51 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Hello Rob,

Thanks for the tip: I killed the aero-windows theme and set all windows settings to maximum performance and no graphical enhancements and this solved my problem of dropped frames. I guess your theory was right: the windowsbar showing a little preview of the creen is just too much to handle.

I switched from HD to SD to loose some black frames, but now that I have windows reduced in visual apearance I am testing again to see If the black frames (not dropped frames) have disapeared also so I can use HD capture (1080i50 input and 720p output).

I guess the tip for everybody using Vmix would be to loose the aero-theme and reduce any visual apearance as much as possible.

Greetings,
Stefan
Steadirob  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 8:00:58 AM(UTC)
Steadirob

Loosing the Aero theme? not on my system needed, luckily. But I do not use a laptop... ;-)

Just to test I had the Oxelon converter converting multiple files from vMix ( decklink mjpg -avi) to quicktime mov which causes my i7-3704 to go 100% on all 4 cores/8 threads and started recording at the same time on HD..... While the render time rose shortly to 130ms, it came down very quickly and I did not have any dropped frames.
Strangely enough the cpu usage in the vMix window shows 10% when recording and 2% when not.
So what is the cpu usage relating to?

I am impressed with my system, so far!

Rob
admin  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 22, 2012 3:30:12 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi,

I just thought I would add that disabling the aero theme is not recommended.
The aero theme enables greater video quality and performance in vMix.

The only exception would be if you have a low end graphics card which appears to be the case in this instance.

In any case, a good graphics card + aero theme is the best way to go.

As for the black frames, this is a known issue with the Intensity Shuttle and is not related to vMix directly. Known fixes include installing the latest firmware for USB 3.0, latest intensity shuttle drivers etc

Regards,

Martin
vMix