logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sobx  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 9:02:43 AM(UTC)
sobx

Groups: Registered

Hello guys and big thank you for this great software :))

We recently did a live football sport production using vMix 16 on ROC Asus laptop. We were using 2 HDMI out camcorders and HDMI USB.3 capture card XI100DUSB from Magewell and Ultra Studio via Thunderbolt. One of the cameras was with 20 meters HDMI cable. All was good with HDMI connections, but I had problems with HDMI-SDI converter or SDI cable for long runs. I have XI100DUSB SDI capture card too, one HDMI-SDI converter from Blackmagic, and two of these: Oxford Street New MINI 3G HDMI to SDI Converter from Amazon.

When I was using SDI workflow, very often (not all the time), video signal was blinking and getting lost for some seconds. I red a lot in the forums, but still can't find out what is the problem. The thing is that not all the time the signal is getting lost and when I am testing indoors all is fine for even 2-3h. But when I am outdoor I have these problems. I tested 576p and 720p and looks iike 576p is giving me less problems, but sometime again signal is getting lost.

Is it possible to be the converters? I tested with both of them, mixed results. Or maybe it is this video cable witch is made for video surveillance and we put BNC connectors on it, because of budget limitations. Or maybe BNC connectors are not good when attaching to capture card? This XI100DUSB SDI capture card have small SDI cable adapter, as the card don't have normal BNC in and using 5 cm cable to connect my 40 meter SDI cable. What do you thing is the problem, maybe bandwidth of the cable is not enough? I tested two 40 m cables and 80 meters one. Again mixed results.

I got lost of this problem and looking for your help. Thanks in advance.

Peter
Kelvin  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 9:24:34 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Since you are having problems with both HDMI-SDI converters, my guess would be the cables. I have successfully used several of the inexpensive HDMI-SDI converters that look exactly like the one you bought from Amazon over distances up to 70m. For those distances you need top quality cables and BNC connectors. I recommend something like Belden 1505 RG59 cable with the Belden BNC connectors. You will pay a little more, but that is the weak link in your system.
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 9:49:26 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ sobx

Unfortunately, Peter, with so many 'links in your chain', it may take a while and some patience to isolate the problem.
I suspect it is a bad connection or cable problem from your description more than a bandwidth or signal issue, but until you are able to 'replicate' the issue repeatedly, it won't be easy to identify.
Was it always the same camera, cable or connectors having the issue?
Was there a precursor or action that triggered the signal to be lost or return (camera movement or cable disruption)?
Could weather be a factor (wet/cold)?
How are you powering your converters? Is it possible power was lost or disrupted at the venue?
As you can see, there are many things to consider and test, and you will likely have to be very meticulous until you can cause the problem to show itself again.

Ice

Siroki  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 11:02:06 AM(UTC)
Siroki

Man
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 24 post(s)
Are you using HDMI 20 meter cable in this setup for SDI (before converters)? If yes I think thats the problem. Because HDMI works fine 10-15 meters and anything above that will make issues.
r@wisla  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 11:14:00 AM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
Hi sobx,

I heared from more experienced colleague that blackmagic converters are quite sensitive in term of cable lenght, but with 40 meter cable it should be OK.

One question: Did you notice issues when connecting converter -> 40 meter cable -> blackmagic ultrastudio? If not, maybe its this tiny Magewell SDI to MCX cable or MCX socket problem. This cable is quite sensitive, I had issues with it.

Don't save to much on cables. The video surveillance cables are OK only if you install them once. Unwrapping, unwinding, folding... - it damages the cable. And not every surveillance cable can be used outside, they can be not moisture and high/low temperature resist.

Ah, one more thing. Avoid too long hdmi cables (from camera to converter).
sobx  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 11:29:09 AM(UTC)
sobx

Hi Kelvin and Ice and thank you for your fast response.

I am also thinking this it is a cable or BNC connector problem rather that it is the converters one. To answer you shortly:
1.Yes, always the same camera, cable and connectors.
2.All the time BNC connectors and SDI cable are fixed with tape to the tripod or something else to avoid shaking and stress on them.
3.Indoor testing is always at normal temperature, but games were at around 10C outdoor with wind sometimes and a bit cold. Is is possible some moisture to be an issue? There was no rain.
4.Power was never lost. I had backup with two battery 12V, but I never used them. Power was all the time working.

My cameras have HDMI out only. Do you thing that changing to HDMI-CAT5 extenders or some longer HDMI cables like 80 meters is good to go?
I know that SDI is better for longer runs, but with HDMI only I wont have converters and etc.
Just to confirm, if the signal is blinking for a few seconds (black screen and returning again), this means that it is connector thing rather that bandwidth problem (cable cant handle HD 720p), right?

Siroki,

20 meters HDMI is directly from camera to capture card. No converter. I am using 1 meter HDMI cable after camera and before Blackmagic or that cheap HDMI to SDI converter from Amazon.

r@wisla,

Yes, this tiny Magewell SDI to MCX cable or MCX socket might be the case here also. I was looking to it too, but can't be sure as with workflow of Camera-converter-40 m SDI-Ultra Studio I always have converter. Have to do more testing with it. Thanks for the outer advice.

Peter
r@wisla  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 12:19:54 PM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
sobx wrote:
My cameras have HDMI out only. Do you thing that changing to HDMI-CAT5 extenders or some longer HDMI cables like 80 meters is good to go?
I know that SDI is better for longer runs, but with HDMI only I wont have converters and etc.

But you will have extenders. And CAT5 plugs/sockets. Don't use it.
Long HDMI cables are usually thick and rigid. I would not use it too.

From my experience BNC connectors were always the most stable. The biggest issue (not to mention this BNC/MCX cable again) were with mini-hdmi connector (mini-hdmi camera socket). Try to make sure it doesn't move during camera movement. I mounted my HDMI-SDI converter to the camera, so the HDMI camera doesn't move relative to the camera and converter.
Siroki  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 5:20:42 PM(UTC)
Siroki

Man
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 24 post(s)
sobx wrote:

Siroki,

20 meters HDMI is directly from camera to capture card. No converter. I am using 1 meter HDMI cable after camera and before Blackmagic or that cheap HDMI to SDI converter from Amazon.

Peter

Don't use long cables HDMI..I suggest max 15m, thats what I was testing..But I always use max 10m
mavrick816  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 9:15:35 PM(UTC)
mavrick816

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 3 post(s)
80m? that's a very long run. If you happen to "borrow" a Belden 1505 RG59 cable, i would check that first and run some tests. Also shorten your HDMI cable to the SDI converter. I am running 65m or 200ft using RG59 SDI Siamese Cable. The RG59 cable so far is working well with my SDI signal. At the camera side, I am using an HDMI to SDI converter (HDMI cable is 1m) to the converter. I then use the power side of the RG59 Siamese cable to run power to my camera. One cable run which is providing a digital signal and power
sobx  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2016 5:33:50 AM(UTC)
sobx

Thanks guys for all your help,

I said 80 meters HDMI because I saw here in the forum that someone bought from UK such one, witch was made from some fiber kind cable with HDMI connectors at both ends. Yes from my camera to converter is 1 meter only and than SDI. So far my outer 20 meter HDMI works fine for 720p and that cable save my production, as I had these SDI problems.

The price of RG59 SDI Siamese Cable looks interesting, as Belden is much more expensive, but again is for CCTV things like mine that I have.
So if I have such similar cable so maybe the problem are BNC connectors or converter and outside temperature. In general I need runs like 80-100 meters for outdoor sports and have very low budget for new cables and I need to make right choice if I have to buy new ones.

Just to confirm, if the signal is blinking for a few seconds (black screen and returning again), this means that it is connector thing rather that bandwidth problem (cable cant handle HD 720p), right?

Peter
h2video.nl  
#11 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2016 7:57:17 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
I always test at the office, using longer or connected sdi cables, so i dont get suprised at a gig.

problems with long cables and sdi can be anything with my tp 4: connectors 1 cable quality 2 break in cable 3 and extraterrestrials playing around with me #4

use good cable when over 50 meters and or use a repeater. also a good qualit hdmi to sdi is needed.

720 p25 seems more reliable than 1080i50 over longer runs. and better for sports maybe...

anyway: test test test and treat your cables as a 1.000.000 dollar lottery ticket.
stefan
jhebbel  
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 18, 2016 8:00:12 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I have almost never heard of a SDI cable failing (unless it's straight up run over and severed) since SDI is simple coax. Get some better quality SDI converters and stick with SDI, as has been said several times before, NEVER use HDMI for your runs, especially if you are doing a production for a client, too prone to failure.
thanks 1 user thanked jhebbel for this useful post.
mjgraves on 2/19/2016(UTC)