logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tesn  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2016 8:58:59 AM(UTC)
tesn

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hey vMixers,

Once again we're streaming the US Nationals Curling event.

http://www.teamusa.org/U...-Championships/Webstream

We're in Jacksonville Florida this year. Tune in anytime this week 8am to 11pm EST, there's probably a game going on . . . if not, just wait a bit. We're already 6 games in.

I'll post more about the setup after the event. It's basically a 2 man show with announcers. 14 cameras (SD unfortunately).

-Brian

TESN.US
tesn  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 1:12:26 PM(UTC)
tesn

Man

So some random pictures can be found here:

https://www.facebook.com...p;type=3&uploaded=14

Other event pics/info here:

https://www.facebook.com...ionals-1448627245453954/

Here's a sample of one of the games:

?t=5h21m53s I'm not sure how long that will be active.

It was a long but successful 10 days. Thousands of feet of cat5 run for the cameras. We ran vMix basically with two x-Keys keyboards. The graphics is a program I wrote myself, plus a bunch of vMix titles I created.

Good times. Love that vMix. Hopefully NDI helps us get to running HD cameras someday.

-Brian

TESN.US

IceStream  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 9:11:17 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ tesn

Congrats on another successful event!
I tried to catch some of it 'Live' and even checked out your pics and YouTube links above.
Thanks for sharing, I have to say though, that I didn't see any "telestration" in any of the segments I watched, so I'm not sure if that was something you dropped or if it was just poor timing on my part. The other question I had was if you were running any 'manned' cameras during your coverage? I can certainly appreciate the demands of covering a ten day event and I think your use of static cameras provided a practical solution to providing continuous coverage with limited resources even though you had to cross the axis each time a rock was thrown down the ice. My inclination would have been to follow the rock all the way to the house with a manned camera or at least a full ice zoom-able shot before going to the overhead shot that way avoiding the breaking of the axis, but that's easy for me to say without knowing your 'limitations' in terms of budget and resources (I can only assume it was a conscious decision for practical reasons).

Ice
tesn  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:19:25 PM(UTC)
tesn

Man

IceStream wrote:
@ tesn

Congrats on another successful event!
I tried to catch some of it 'Live' and even checked out your pics and YouTube links above.
Thanks for sharing, I have to say though, that I didn't see any "telestration" in any of the segments I watched, so I'm not sure if that was something you dropped or if it was just poor timing on my part. The other question I had was if you were running any 'manned' cameras during your coverage? I can certainly appreciate the demands of covering a ten day event and I think your use of static cameras provided a practical solution to providing continuous coverage with limited resources even though you had to cross the axis each time a rock was thrown down the ice. My inclination would have been to follow the rock all the way to the house with a manned camera or at least a full ice zoom-able shot before going to the overhead shot that way avoiding the breaking of the axis, but that's easy for me to say without knowing your 'limitations' in terms of budget and resources (I can only assume it was a conscious decision for practical reasons).

Ice

Thanks. Telestration was sporadic. I did it here and there. I hear what you're saying about the static shots. We did have a handheld camera for the first time this year. It was also sporadic. Basically the event photographer put his camera down every once in a while and grabbed a video camera. It wasn't every game and only for part of the games that he did do. Definitely a conscious decision to go with the shots we do. Typical curling TV productions follow the shooter with a handheld, then switch to a panned shot of the rock coming in. We don't have that luxury. We have one guy controlling everything basically. Scenes, graphics, audio, replay, telestration, ptz tracking . . . all me. So switching between the static shots is needed. We also have 4 cameras per sheet covering 3 sheets, so when one game ends we can switch to another one. It's a long week. Games take 2 and half hours and some days had 4 games per day. It would be painful to be out on the ice for every game manning a handheld. I do love automation, so most of the production is done by shortcuts and custom programming. Player information, and game stats and all that are pulled in from a remote site at the touch of a button.

If we had more handhelds, we could go with more of a tv like production but obviously we don't have those resources.

The size of the venues has limited us in terms of HD. We want to, but some of the runs are very long. We're excited about the possibilities of NDI.

-Brian
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2016 2:23:07 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ tesn

I really don't have a problem with the 4:3 SD camera feeds, the extra screen estate of the 16:9 space was well used with graphics and periodic PiP shots from other sheets and CU's with manned camera.
I've had a chance to watch more of your YouTube link and did catch some of the 'sporadics' mentioned earlier, all-in-all, I think you did an excellent job and Curling USA should be very happy with the coverage you provided.
I think the up-coming support for PTZ cameras within vMix 17 might open up additional opportunities for 'automated' type zoom shots for you in future events, which should be very exciting for you.

Ice