logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikekay  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2016 11:30:52 AM(UTC)
mikekay

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Gig last night almost failed due to wishing to use a three monitor setup. What I wanted was two monitors for vMix - bigger surface to work on, less scrolling, larger preview panes etc..seemed like a good idea at the time. I am using an AMD R9 200 graphics card, DVI out to each monitor, then I added a Club-3D Displayport hub with 4 outputs and a displayport to HDMI adapter using the displayport output on the card, and tried to use this output for my projectors.

I was dismayed to find that there is no way to route the main output. No matter what, the main output defaulted to the second monitor and I could find no way to get this working. I tried the Catalyst software to define a multi-screen output, but never got it right.

In the end, I disconnected the displayport and second monitor, and got things working...sigh..

Is it possible to do what I am asking, to use vMix in a multi-output environment? If so, what did I do wrong? Would it be feasible to actually be able to define an output - select a monitor that acts as the main output?

Signed.....weary and confused.....

Any help most appreciated.
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2016 2:15:49 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 502 time(s) in 471 post(s)
@ mikekay

Not sure if any of this is helpful or relevant to you, but might be worth a look:

http://www.cnet.com/foru...t-let-me-use-3-monitors/
http://lifehacker.com/ho...descreen-gami-1680863770

Keep us all posted as to how you make out, and as always, be sure to test, test, and do more tests well ahead of the day of the gig...
It's ok to try new things out once in a while as long as you have no expectations and can easily fall back to your 'Fail Safe' set-up, but it can be a demoralizing distraction trying to make something work when there are more important tasks to focus on at hand.

Ice
jhebbel  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 8:15:31 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
IceStream wrote:
@ mikekay

Not sure if any of this is helpful or relevant to you, but might be worth a look:

http://www.cnet.com/foru...t-let-me-use-3-monitors/
http://lifehacker.com/ho...descreen-gami-1680863770

Keep us all posted as to how you make out, and as always, be sure to test, test, and do more tests well ahead of the day of the gig...
It's ok to try new things out once in a while as long as you have no expectations and can easily fall back to your 'Fail Safe' set-up, but it can be a demoralizing distraction trying to make something work when there are more important tasks to focus on at hand.

Ice

I think the issue he is having is that VMix does not allow routing of the external output. It is a shortcoming of VMix itself, all you can route are the 2 fullscreen outputs.

I hope this gets worked on in vmix 17 as there are multiple feature requests to expand the output capabilities.

@ mikekay
For now all you can do is give up one of the two full screen outputs vmix has and use that as the main out by selecting output as the source.
mikekay  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 1:05:57 PM(UTC)
mikekay

Thank you. This is the conclusion I came to, but was hoping there may be a solution. If I can define 2 monitors as one screen in the Catalyst software that controls the graphics card, and leave the third output as the second monitor - it may work, but doubtful.

Going to contact vMix support because output routing is a MUST.
jhebbel  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 2:52:34 PM(UTC)
jhebbel

If if you could combine two displays into on output using software or a device like Matrox DualHead2Go, the layout of the preview output screens are fixed so you wont actually gain any additional outputs, another shortcoming that I hope is rectified in future versions of VMix and I have posted about somere here: http://forums.vmix.com/d...aspx?g=posts&t=5789.

Just post it over in the feature request forum, its more likely to happen once there are some supporting posts behind it than just directly contacting them directly.
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 3:00:51 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Sorry if I misunderstood guys, as near as I can tell, though, according to the vMix User guide, vMix 4K supports graphics cards with 3 monitor capabilities, and in fact states it's required for the second "Fullscreen" Output (bottom of page):

http://www.vmix.com/help...ndex.htm?Fullscreen.html

So I am a little confused, granted, not a lot of people using 3 monitors, so maybe this is a 'glitch' that has not been documented, but I agree, it is something that needs to be resolved for those looking to maximize screen estate and output options.

Ice

jhebbel  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 5:09:23 PM(UTC)
jhebbel

Yea technically it does support 4 outputs I believe, but only the "Fullscreen" windows seem to be routable to different GPU monitors. The actual "Output" outputs that you would assume are for recorders or local live feeds are not routable, IE you cannot choose destination monitor, so I'm not even sure what use these are and I've myself never even used them. Really not sure what is up with the seemingly arbitrary limiting of outputs and routing as WPF is very efficient with many many media displays and VMix seems to show no impact on my GPU or CPU when running the maximum 2 outputs loaded with shots.
Cpilcher  
#8 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 5:21:13 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
I use vMix with 3 monitors, and have used 4 after bypassing some settings in the bios. This allows me to run the onboard graphics port in addition to the GTX750. I try not to use that option though because you can't boot in that configuration or the cards fight and it only recognizes the onboard graphics.

I normally run this setup on my GTX750

Vmix main monitor connected to DVI port
Vmix second monitor (Audio & Instant Replay screen) connected to VGA Port
Vmix full screen output 1 to HDMI port for Program feed

If I need the 4th I enable the onboard VGA port and I'm good to go.

Chuck
jhebbel  
#9 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 5:27:56 PM(UTC)
jhebbel

Example, I have a external recorder that I use as well as a program monitor and talent monitor, VMix does not allow for all these and I have to ditch using 2 full screen displays on my workstation and use the actual application for my preview program then use my first full screen output for all my input previews. My final of 2 allowed fullscreen outputs goes through my recorder and the passthrough to the program and talent monitors.

Its a pain lol.

UserPostedImage
Cpilcher  
#10 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 7:04:53 PM(UTC)
Cpilcher

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 47 post(s)
Are any of your screens duplicates? I run my HDMI feed into a splitter and then send it to my Backup Recorder, a Jumbotron screen and 2 more monitors for commentary staff...
hellokitty  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2016 12:51:37 AM(UTC)
hellokitty

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
get a 40 inch or 32 inch 4k monitor run scale at 100% and you will have plenty of room for stuff. there cheep now, ebay dream seller, ive been useing for over a year, it is really nice. get rid of that AMD card, NVIDIA 980ti will keep you in the game for a few years.
IceStream  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2016 1:03:07 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Somehow I think we are starting to confuse the issue and not properly differentiating between "Fullscreen" GPU Outputs and "External" Outputs which require an I/O card.
My original understanding was that mikekay could not display vMix to more than two monitors in his three monitor set-up, or at least could not move the main UI to his monitor of choice.
To the best of my knowledge, this has nothing to do with "External" outputs through an I/O card.
If my original understanding is correct, I suspect it has something to do with how Windows and the GPU allocate the screen orderings and question whether vMix has any specific requirements as to which screen the main UI defaults to or has to be on?
In my two monitor set-up, I don't recall ever having an issue, but it would be nice to know why mikekay was having an issue.

Ice
richardgatarski  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2016 6:53:12 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
I am sort of on Ice's line of understanding the original question.

We use a 21:9 monitor to get more estate for vMix's main window, see first post in a related topic.
jhebbel  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:50:59 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

IceStream wrote:
Somehow I think we are starting to confuse the issue and not properly differentiating between "Fullscreen" GPU Outputs and "External" Outputs which require an I/O card.
My original understanding was that mikekay could not display vMix to more than two monitors in his three monitor set-up, or at least could not move the main UI to his monitor of choice.
To the best of my knowledge, this has nothing to do with "External" outputs through an I/O card.
If my original understanding is correct, I suspect it has something to do with how Windows and the GPU allocate the screen orderings and question whether vMix has any specific requirements as to which screen the main UI defaults to or has to be on?
In my two monitor set-up, I don't recall ever having an issue, but it would be nice to know why mikekay was having an issue.

Ice

You wouldn't have an issue with just a dual monitor setup. The issue is that the external outputs cannot be routed to a particular screen, only "Fullscreen" outputs can. Its not his main UI that is the issue, it the program Output using one of the designated output channels. It's a pain and will hopefully be fixed.
mikekay  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2016 1:22:27 PM(UTC)
mikekay

I caught a cold and have been out of the loop for a bit. Support sent me some information that states what I want to do MAY be possible. For clarity, it is the FULLSCREEN output that seems to be the problem. Not external output. On external output I am getting up to 32 ms latency - this is useless for live use - but could be used for a feed for secondary recording or broadcast. Fullscreen is giving me around 4 ms latency, which I can deal with.

I do not want to use a large screen TV for monitoring. I use this as a portable rig, taking it to gigs all over the city. Will post pics later when I get to my storage facility so you can see what's up. Because of the latency on external output, I am using the displayport output with a 4X Club 3D diplayport hub then one output going into a displayport to HDMI adapter, then out to my projectors. This port appears as a monitor output, but again, the FULLSCREEN output does not seen routable. If available only on 4K, this does not seem fair, and hopefully upgrade fixable. I would eventually like to use muiltiple outputs from the Club 3D to send my signals to multiple projectors.

I have to review all the posts here. Thanks to everybody for the input. I really love vMix as a program, and support on both the forum and tech support has been fantastic.

Bottom line - I will get there whatever it takes.
thecloudmediagroup  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2016 5:05:44 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Do you have an authorized powered Eyefinity DisplayPort adapter? Normal adapters from BestBuy are not powered and are not supported as an independent 3rd unique output. If it is passive, it will only duplicate the second monitor.
mikekay  
#17 Posted : Thursday, February 11, 2016 10:54:25 AM(UTC)
mikekay

The Club 3D is the best display port adapter on the market and it works. Under Windows, the output shows up as a third monitor. It is a powered adapter - the displayport to HDMI adapter is passive. This works because the Club 3D is powered. So this is not the issue at this point. The issue is being able to define the FULLSCREEN output.