logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikekay  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 4, 2016 11:07:36 PM(UTC)
mikekay

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Greetings. After a time off, a rebuild and re-rack of my vMix system, I am ready to get back to work. Gig Friday. One thing I did is to add a second monitor to my system - which presents a problem, maybe. I need to send my output to 2 projectors. What I've been doing thus far is using the Fullscreen button, and HDMI output to send the signal to the projectors. Now that I have added the second monitor - I'm not sure what will happen. Tomorrow I can get my hands on a projector to find out - but my question is, is this the right way to be running my output in the first place? Are there other options? I have a display port output on the graphics card, which is not used - but I was planning on getting a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter. Will this induce more latency? What should I do? My graphics card is an AMD Radeon R9 200. Currently the two monitors are hooked up to DVI.

Any help most appreciated as usual.
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 12:39:20 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 502 time(s) in 471 post(s)
@ mikekay

I am not that familiar with AMD products or multi-monitor connections and/or possible latency issues but maybe these links might help to shed some light on your set-up:

http://www.multiplemonit...-monitor-graphics-cards/

Ice
mikekay  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 1:14:17 AM(UTC)
mikekay

Thank you. I have been reading a ton about graphics cards, multi output cards, PCIe lanes, 16X8X etc, and Displayport. When it comes to makes and models, I get lost. But it seems that graphics capabilities are important in vMix, and specially important when I get a program such as Resolume going.

But I still wonder how to achieve the best output result live, less latency, and sustainable quality. I have been running at between 4 and 6 MS latency, which I can deal with - but any higher and it gets weird on stage, noticeable.
h2video.nl  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 7:37:41 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
hello Mike,

if you don't want delay on the screen you best use your main camera output to show directly. you can use the throughput on the card or a splitter.

i am afraid that any mix through a software mixer so also vmix will produce some delay due to processing and mixing of the video signal. live on screen this will show and is anoying and distracting.

the alternative is to mix with a hardware mixer switcher and record the output with vmix.

there is simply no way to get vimix to perform in realtime.... and since a few frames delay is already noticable... you can only get results with a direct signal . anyway that's how i do it.
stefan
mikekay  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 8:14:38 AM(UTC)
mikekay

As stated in my previous post, I am operating at a 4 to 6 MS delay. What I do is delay the audio from the main PA to sync with the video, and it works perfectly. If I add more devices like adapters into the mix, I am afraid of increasing latency. Gonna try this anyway, but I am not in complete agreement with your comments. A 4 to 6 MS delay can be dealt with easily - I've done it completely successfully.