logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DC Mike  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2016 10:47:01 PM(UTC)
DC Mike

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I built a vMix system last week and used it for the first time over the weekend for instant replay. The computer is an i7 hex-core with 16G RAM, Nvidia 960 video card, two-terabyte system drive, a 1TB SSD RAID 0 for replay footage, and a Blackmagic Decklink Quad for video input and a BMD Mini Monitor for HD-SDI output. Replay video was output to a Tricaster 8000.

I couldn’t be happier with the performance of the system… it worked flawlessly and video quality was outstanding. Even using the Contour Shuttle Pro 2 to control replays was better than I expected. I do, however, have a few suggestions and feature requests. Here we go.

1. How about option to allow the last clip to playout… ignore the out point of the clip so it can play longer. If the clip is added to an event list and played back in a playlist, the out point would be used and transition to the following clip. At the end of the playlist, the last clip would once again be allowed to playout.

2. More than four event lists. We did multiple games daily, and it would have been nice to have multiple lists for each game.

3. A way to define a key on the Shuttle Pro (or another device) to COPY a clip to a designated event list. Doing it with the mouse is tricky during a fast-paced game.

4. Not sure of the best way to do this, but it would be nice to have the camera input monitors in the replay interface larger in the display. I know there’s a lot going on in that window, but the four monitors in the corner are pretty small.

5. I know I saw elsewhere on the forum that Martin said it’s not possible to display all four recorded outputs at once, but would it be possible if the standard switcher displays were disabled? Of course this would only work if vMix was being used as a dedicated replay system, but if it could work it would be fantastic.

There are a few more things, but I think they may be possible now… I just need to get a little more familiar with the system.

Kudos to Martin and team for developing such a great system. I’m really looking forward to seeing what’s next!

Mike
stevespaw  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 29, 2016 9:24:00 AM(UTC)
stevespaw

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 57 post(s)
With vMix 17, I can see MANY users using another vMix just for replay! We will do this for most of our systems.
The vMix replay will become even more important once the user does not have to share a mouse and keyboard with the TD. :-)
The pressure will be on Martin now to just polish a few details in this thread to have a system that will compete with many dedicated replay systems out there. With a few fixes, JL Cooper support and NDI this could quickly compete with 3Play. Mainly need a true second channel.

I cannot wait to try this and put in a second PC without Video i/o as dedicated replay.

Steve

DigitalDaz  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 9, 2016 10:44:13 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I also have been testing this replay and it is amazing, I'd definitely +1 a dedicated replay application.

My one criticism was the little jog wheel thing on the Shuttle, if you touch this by accident during playback it seems you them have to playback by spinning it. I can see this getting hit a lot during playback by accident. It would be great if this could only be activated by pressing another button at the same time.