logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tesn  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 10:52:20 AM(UTC)
tesn

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Hi all,

So here's the deal . . . we've been using a custom telestrator in vMix. It's a flash overlay (.swf) file. It works great. We add it as an input and then use it as a multiview overlay on the shots we want to "draw" on. I have a separate controller, also a flash file that communicates with the telestrator overlay, so I can change the colors and drawing modes and all that.

So the issue we have is that right now, only the person running vMix can really use the telestrator. Someone else can lean in and take control but it doesn't really work, so as it is, I do the drawing.

I've been thinking of a way to have a separate monitor that the announcers can use. Just like professional sports broadcasts, the announcers/analysts are the ones who should be doing the drawing.

I'm aware that there are telestrator systems out there. I'd like to sort of make my own version of that using vMix/Flash.

I'm wondering if we had a separate computer with a touch screen monitor. It runs vMix and brings the main production vMix output as an input. I also input the telestrator on this machine. Then, we send out only the telestrator as that vMix output. The telestrator computer would need a card that has one input and one output. My main question is that if we send out only the telestrator input (flash overlay), will it have a transparent background. This output would have to go back into the main vMix broadcast computer. Thinking about it now, I'm realizing the main output to the telestrator computer would have to not include the telestrator input, otherwise it would be a big loop.

Anybody follow that? Think it would work? Thoughts?

-Brian
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 11:14:09 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ tesn

I think the NDI feature coming in vMix 17 may very well resolve the issue, but in the meantime, I would look at possibly splitting the camera feed that is primarily used with the telestrator and feeding that into the second computer and then send that output back into the main production unit as an input, when the director sees the commentators drawing on the screen he can 'cut' to it.

Ice
tesn  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 11:37:27 AM(UTC)
tesn

Man

Oh hey . . . look at that. NDI. I was not aware of that coming. Currently watching the Fun Time Live Show. I see . . .

I guess my question about transparency stands.

Splitting off the camera as a temporary solution might not work. We have about 4 shots that have the possibility of being drawn on. Sort of need the main program feed to draw on.

Thanks though!

-Brian
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 12:11:11 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ tesn

My guess is "NO", the transparency would not stand, you would have to key it out on the production machine.
AFAIK, this is one of the main problems with character generators like CasparCG, and as I understand it NewBlueFX, they require key and fill inputs to work effectively, which as indicated should be resolved with NDI technology.
If I remember correctly, you use this for Curling, so two sheets running would mean 4 overhead cameras, one over each house, is that correct?
I'm sure there are other 'workarounds', but probably not worth the aggravation to try and figure out with NDI around the corner...
This comes to mind, from another thread, but I'm not sure of the quality or if it even works with vMix:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/...3703a:g:RnYAAOSw~OdVeLJQ
I think Tom Sinclair (sinc747) tried similar security video capture cards before and found them to be totally unacceptable even as a 'cheap' solution to video capture.
Keep us all posted as to how you make out!

Ice
tesn  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 12:35:05 PM(UTC)
tesn

Man

Thanks!

Yeah . . . we actually cover 3 sheets in curling, 2 long shots and 2 overheads per sheet. We end up putting up 12 cameras plus a couple hand held. But we really only use one sheet at a time. We have switchers to go between games. (This is also why we're still standard def . . . way expensive to switch to HD with all those cameras and cabling).

I wasn't really thinking near term for this, so I can wait until vMix 17.

-Brian