logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fadilrosli  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 1:57:13 AM(UTC)
fadilrosli

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I'm new to VMIX. My company plan to purchase the license for our traffic tv program. Here are my setup.
1. Windows 10 running on Bootcamp Imac 2013.
2. Blackmagic Studio Camera -> Blackmagic Ultrastudio Express Thunderbolt
3. Sony HXR-MC1500 -> Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle USB3.0
4. Windows 7 Machine as input (Blackmagic Decklink Duo) -> Blackmagic Ultrastudio SDI USB3.0
5. Fullscreen Output via Thunderbolt to HDMI -> Blackmagic TV Studio
I'm having instability problem when having this setup. The USB3.0 inputs will hang and i need to restart vmix.
After some tinkering I've found that only one USB 3.0 input can be up at a time and stable. I'm not sure whether this is some kind of bugs or simply a hardware limitations. Please advise.
Thanks.
jhebbel  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 7:36:24 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Are you putting the USB devices not only on separate ports, but separate busses? You may be overloading the bus with that much bandwidth.
thanks 1 user thanked jhebbel for this useful post.
petersmith on 1/14/2022(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 9:51:17 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
most likely issues with the USB controller. BMD devices are pecky. And not many USB driver/controllers can manage multiple (web)cams.
Magewells USB3 dongles are the most flexible ones I've used. At least 3 cams doing 720p
jhebbel  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 11:37:36 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

Looking on the BM forums confirms that most people cannot get multiple USB 3.0 BM devices to work on the same bus, BM goes as far as to recommend to completely dedicate a bus to the USB 3.0 BM shuttle. USB capture uses a lot more bandwidth than people realize especially 10bit 4:2:2
Speegs  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2016 5:34:35 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Hello,

I couldn't get more than 1 BM Equipment stable on a Mac Book Pro (or an Asus Laptop, or a HP Laptop, or Desktop Custom Built). Seemed to work with 2 reliably, then an small update or reboot and couldn't get it going again. I don't have any love for their capture equipment has given me many hours of headaches. I tried many driver versions from BM, they just said my computers were faulty or not compatible configurations.

Switched to Magewell, no regrets, no headaches. Same computers :) I have not bought a BM product in years and I sleep much better. I bought BM thinking they were the Standard/The Best but now avoid their products as they seem to work if you are very lucky. They were very fussy on drivers, video frame rates and resolutions, GoPros, USB 3 Controllers, which order they are plugged in and thunderbolt ports.

My experience was with the Thunderbolt Mini Recorder/Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt and Intensity Shuttle USB3.

Regards,

Speegs
jhebbel  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2016 6:58:19 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

The difference is in color accuracy and quality, many people making master copies of events absolutely want the 10/4:2:2 that BM offers, but the fact is not everybody needs that kind of color accuracy, Magwell does not use anywhere near the same bandwidth due to the lower bitrate at 4:1:1 (at best) compression.
fadilrosli  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2016 10:01:06 AM(UTC)
fadilrosli

Thank you all for the replies. Currently the best option for me is to use one bm ultrastudio express and one ultrastudio sdi usb 3.0. Sadly i cant use my other ultrastudio sdi usb 3.0 and intensity shuttle usb 3.0. Is anyone here know any motherboard which supports thunderbolt and has dedicated usb 3.0 bus? My other option is to wait for vmix 17 and use the ndi feature to utilise my spare bm devices.
jhebbel  
#8 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2016 11:13:35 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

Do you have available PCIe slots? You can alwayse add USB 3 controllers.
h2video.nl  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2016 12:27:18 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
yuan has an affordable usb3 multi capture input devide with 3 sdi and 1 hdmi input. tested and approved for use with vmix i understand.

stefan
jhebbel  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2016 1:48:18 PM(UTC)
jhebbel

I have been looking at some of the external yuan interfaces but have yet to find anybody that owns one or a online demonstration so I have been weary of purchasing them.
Speegs  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2016 4:47:13 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
fadilrosli wrote:
Thank you all for the replies. Currently the best option for me is to use one bm ultrastudio express and one ultrastudio sdi usb 3.0. Sadly i cant use my other ultrastudio sdi usb 3.0 and intensity shuttle usb 3.0. Is anyone here know any motherboard which supports thunderbolt and has dedicated usb 3.0 bus? My other option is to wait for vmix 17 and use the ndi feature to utilise my spare bm devices.

Some Gigabyte boards support thunderbolt, however found the usb3 bus didn't handle too many cameras on motherboards as they did share a bus and working that out was too time consuming on a desktop when a card is so cheap.

Best to add a full speed 4 port usb PCIE Card and leave the motherboard usb for running the mouse, keyboard and external hdds and memory sticks. USB 3 Cards are pretty cheap.

Here is the one that worked for me:

http://www.computerallia...e-up314c-controller-card

And if you are on a laptop and want more usb 3 and have thunderbolt this works well:

http://www.belkin.com/au/p/P-F4U085/

Other things may work just as well, but I only want to mention stuff I've tried :)

Note: Worked when populated with Magewell USB 3 Capture devices. Untested on BM devices.
fadilrosli  
#12 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2016 5:50:12 AM(UTC)
fadilrosli

Speegs wrote:
fadilrosli wrote:

Some Gigabyte boards support thunderbolt, however found the usb3 bus didn't handle too many cameras on motherboards as they did share a bus and working that out was too time consuming on a desktop when a card is so cheap.

Best to add a full speed 4 port usb PCIE Card and leave the motherboard usb for running the mouse, keyboard and external hdds and memory sticks. USB 3 Cards are pretty cheap.

Here is the one that worked for me:

http://www.computerallia...e-up314c-controller-card

And if you are on a laptop and want more usb 3 and have thunderbolt this works well:

http://www.belkin.com/au/p/P-F4U085/

Other things may work just as well, but I only want to mention stuff I've tried :)

Note: Worked when populated with Magewell USB 3 Capture devices. Untested on BM devices.

I'm using iMac with Windows 10 bootcamp so pcie card is not an option. I've been researching on belkin dock but i'm not sure whether it will work or not. Since you have mentioned it many thanks to you.
jhebbel  
#13 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2016 8:53:33 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

If you have thunderbolt why not just use a thunderbolt capture? Instead of converting that to USB3 and loosing a lot of its available bandwidth.
fadilrosli  
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2016 10:48:12 AM(UTC)
fadilrosli

jhebbel wrote:
If you have thunderbolt why not just use a thunderbolt capture? Instead of converting that to USB3 and loosing a lot of its available bandwidth.

Yes, I already have BMD Ultrastudio Express thunderbolt for camera input and another thunderbolt port used by miniport to hdmi adapter for video out. I need two more camera inputs for my setup hence the need of USB 3.0 capture devices. Currently only one BMD USB 3.0 works fine. Put two the frame will dropped after a few minutes.
jhebbel  
#15 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2016 10:53:07 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

I would suggest shifting things around a bit, thunderbolt has way way more bandwidth than USB3 (depending on version) and a single thunderbolt port could probably handle 3-4 1080p signals with no issues, so would suggest getting multi capture devices for each port then use your USB 3 to power your video out which isn't necessarily as high bandwidth.
Kelvin  
#16 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2016 1:14:39 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
You could put a 4-port pci-e sdi capture card into a thunderbolt pci-e enclosure. There is more than enough bandwidth to handle HD cameras here. The recommended hardware list has some Thunderbolt enclosures and cards that work together. See This Link
fadilrosli  
#17 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2016 3:27:29 AM(UTC)
fadilrosli

Kelvin wrote:
You could put a 4-port pci-e sdi capture card into a thunderbolt pci-e enclosure. There is more than enough bandwidth to handle HD cameras here. The recommended hardware list has some Thunderbolt enclosures and cards that work together. See This Link

How about Thunderbolt pcie enclosures with usb 3.0 pcie card? The fact is i already have a couple of bmd usb 3.0 dvices. I'm still evaluating between Thunderbolt dock and pcie expansion.
jmcmniku  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, March 9, 2016 6:20:21 AM(UTC)
jmcmniku

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
jhebbel wrote:
I have been looking at some of the external yuan interfaces but have yet to find anybody that owns one or a online demonstration so I have been weary of purchasing them.

Did you see Richards test of UB5A0N4 Hybrid?
http://westreamu.se/2015...the-yuan-ub5a04n-hybrid/
jhebbel  
#19 Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2016 6:22:14 PM(UTC)
jhebbel

jmcmniku wrote:
jhebbel wrote:

Did you see Richards test of UB5A0N4 Hybrid?
http://westreamu.se/2015...the-yuan-ub5a04n-hybrid/

That I did, and I am strongly eyeballing that device, would like to see some more feedback on it though especially in regards to VMix before I jump on it.