logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
geoffreydean  
#1 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2016 5:05:51 PM(UTC)
geoffreydean

Groups: Registered

I'm new to the vMix world but I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on a system. This post has two goals: 1 - to share my experience with the new Thunderbolt 3 thing that has made laptop shopping confusing. And 2 - to ask for help finding a laptop.

My plan is to purchase the following:

Pretty decent laptop - probably in the $2500 range. Preferably one with two Thunderbolt-2 ports if possible.
(2) Epiphan AVio SDI to Thunderbolt interface thingys $379 x 2 = $758 http://www.epiphan.com/products/avio-sdi/
If I can't find a laptop with two thunderbolt-2 ports I guess I'll spring for a AJA lo4K which can take up to four cameras into one Thunderbolt port. $2000 https://www.aja.com/en/products/io-4k

So as of January 2016 it seems all the new laptops have something called Thunderbolt 3. Different manufacturers call it different things for instance MSI calls it a "Superport." The problem according to an AJA tech support guy, is there are no cables to connect a Thunderbolt-3 computer to a Thunderbolt-2 device (like the AJA lo4K). Addition problems I've encountered: VERY few people in the computer sales business know anything about Thunderbolt. And you can't even search for laptops using Thunderbolt because no computer retailer website even consistently lists it as a feature.

I have no doubt in a few months, this Thunderbolt 3 thing will sort itself out and people in the industry will figure out what it is and adapters and cables will become available. But that leaves me with the problem of having to buy last year's laptop (if I can find one) because I need to get this system up to speed right away. I have some big jobs right around the corner and I can't be goofing around with an unfamiliar system that I just put together.

Kelvin  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2016 6:47:33 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
The epiphan device you linked to is a USB 3.0 device, not Thunderbolt. Although there are also connector issues with a new USB type C connector for USB 3.1. Suggest checking the list of recommended laptops for vMix Thunder as a place to start. I know there are some MacBooks with 2 Thunderbolt ports, but I'm not aware of any PC based laptops with 2 Thunderbolt ports.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2016 6:59:17 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
You can also get a capture card that is on the vMix Supported Hardware list and put it in an external Thunderbolt enclosure. That way you could get a 4-port capture device that support four cameras.

Also, Tom Sinclair at Eastern Shore Broadcasting has a product, BOLT4, 4-port HD-SDI Capture that would work (external Thunderbolt enclosure w/ capture card). I'm sure Tom has the HDMI flavor of it too.

http://easternshorebroadcasting...capture-via-thunderbolt/
thanks 1 user thanked SportsNetUSA.net for this useful post.
geoffreydean on 1/18/2016(UTC)
h2video.nl  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2016 2:45:03 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
as an alternative you might consider using a compact desktop system with capture cards: much more choise in options much cheaper and more reliable. it also proves to be much more useable on locations since computer and screen are separated. in case you need more power upgrade the gpu and switch input cards according to need ( input hdmi sdi out put etc etc).

i find using a laptop very good for very simple recordings but for long demanding sets a desktop is my preferred way of working: think p.e. about the aspect of cooling the cpu under heavy use and noise produced.

i use modified desktops of the shelf for around 400 euros and a selection of capture cards bm - yuan external bm usb 3 etcetc. these cards are good and have a life of about 5 years my desktops about 3 years before it's time to upgrade. and... i can set up two or three connected systems for the price of one ( livestreaming, slomo playback, recording on seperated machines.)

think flexible and maximize options for your investment... if you are going to spend 5000 - 6000 on a system you might want to consider all the options for that ...

ps i use a half high compact desktop and custom made normal height systems build into a sturdy case... the small system fits into a trolly case with cables and stuff on top and a tripod... how portable do you want to be ?

cheers stefan
thanks 3 users thanked h2video.nl for this useful post.
geoffreydean on 1/18/2016(UTC), mjgraves on 1/19/2016(UTC), MartinJudkins on 1/30/2016(UTC)
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2016 9:55:36 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ geoffreydean

In the same category as the Epiphan AVio SDI USB is the Magewell SDI dongle:
http://www.bhphotovideo....i_xi100_sdi_usb_3_0.html

Obviously there are a ton of options available to you, and it's never an easy decision when you are uncertain about exactly what your needs will be (and you are on a bit of a limited timeline).
There are also budgetary considerations, it can get very pricey very quickly if you try to outfit yourself to the nines right off the bat.
My suggestion would be to "test" vMix out as best you can with what you have on hand to ascertain where you have to go from where you are and if indeed you can meet your needs with this workflow (pretty sure you can, but there will be a certain amount of trial and error along the learning curve).
I think you are on the right path with the AJA or an external expansion box (it's something that could potentially be used with either a laptop or a desktop).

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
geoffreydean on 1/18/2016(UTC)