logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nejigs  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2016 4:36:37 AM(UTC)
Nejigs

Groups: Registered

Hello,

has anybody tried to connect a CCTV wifi IP camera to vMix?

If yes which one has he used?

I try to make a theatrical project and connect 3 CCTV cameras to vMix on a laptop.

They cameras won't have to be wifi but I think its the easier way to connect them
to a lapotop.

If anyone has a budget non-wireless alternative please advice!!

Thanks!
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2016 9:40:34 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Nejigs

I believe that what you want to attempt is certainly possible. Although I have never tried, others have done some similar things with IP cameras:

http://forums.vmix.com/d....aspx?g=posts&t=1557

There also appears to be lots of excitement in new developments of IP technology so there may be even more options in the near future:

http://forums.vmix.com/d....aspx?g=posts&t=5219

Ice
mjgraves  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2016 3:33:36 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
I've used surveillance cameras with vMix. I have a couple of Grandstream GXV-3672 installed. Not wifi.

Wifi isn't as convenient as you might think, because you still need to power the cameras. Further, it's not all that reliable. I find that wired Ethernet can provide both power and reliable bandwidth.

Michel
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
Nejigs on 1/21/2016(UTC)
Nejigs  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 3:25:27 AM(UTC)
Nejigs

mjgraves wrote:
I've used surveillance cameras with vMix. I have a couple of Grandstream GXV-3672 installed. Not wifi.

Wifi isn't as convenient as you might think, because you still need to power the cameras. Further, it's not all that reliable. I find that wired Ethernet can provide both power and reliable bandwidth.

Michel

Thanks a lot! So I'll go with a wired set up.

A quick question:
Does it matter which camera I use? Since its a wired option any camera will do, right?
Or still its a protocol thing?

And a second one:
Will an adaptor like this be ok to connect 3 cameras to a laptop?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/...3703a:g:RnYAAOSw~OdVeLJQ

Thanks again!
mjgraves  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2016 12:07:58 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Nejigs wrote:
A quick question:
Does it matter which camera I use? Since its a wired option any camera will do, right?

Any IP camera that supports RTSP over UDP or TCP will work. The bigger concern when using surveillance cameras is the field of view. They often have fixed focal length lenses, which means that they don't zoom in/out. They see what they see.

The Grandstream models that I use come with 8mm (narrow FOV) or 3.6mm (wide FOV) lenses. When designing a security system this needs to be considered to ensure that you see far enough or wide enough to have adequate site coverage.

In video production it means that your shots are in part defined by where you can locate the camera, and it's FOV. There are PTZ-capable surveillance cameras, but they cost a lot more.

If you use HD-capable IP cameras and your production is in SD you can use the tools in vMix to crop and re-position your camera shots without losing much quality. That does place extra load on the host computer.

To be fair, IP cameras have one significant down-side; latency. They deliver an H.264 encoded stream to vMix. That means that the stream will be delayed from real-time by at least 1 group-of-frames (GOP) which can be a couple of seconds. If you covering a sporting event and need lane cameras IP cameras may not be your best choice.

Nejigs wrote:
And a second one:

Thanks again!

That could work, but it only supports SD (NTSC/PAL) cameras. That would mean running BNC cables to the cameras. The cameras would also need power. That makes them more cost & effort than IP cameras powered-over-Ethernet.

Nejigs on 1/22/2016(UTC)
Nejigs  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2016 4:20:37 AM(UTC)
Nejigs

mjgraves wrote:
Nejigs wrote:
A quick question:

Any IP camera that supports RTSP over UDP or TCP will work. The bigger concern when using surveillance cameras is the field of view. They often have fixed focal length lenses, which means that they don't zoom in/out. They see what they see.

The Grandstream models that I use come with 8mm (narrow FOV) or 3.6mm (wide FOV) lenses. When designing a security system this needs to be considered to ensure that you see far enough or wide enough to have adequate site coverage.

In video production it means that your shots are in part defined by where you can locate the camera, and it's FOV. There are PTZ-capable surveillance cameras, but they cost a lot more.

If you use HD-capable IP cameras and your production is in SD you can use the tools in vMix to crop and re-position your camera shots without losing much quality. That does place extra load on the host computer.

To be fair, IP cameras have one significant down-side; latency. They deliver an H.264 encoded stream to vMix. That means that the stream will be delayed from real-time by at least 1 group-of-frames (GOP) which can be a couple of seconds. If you covering a sporting event and need lane cameras IP cameras may not be your best choice.

Nejigs wrote:
And a second one:

Thanks again!

That could work, but it only supports SD (NTSC/PAL) cameras. That would mean running BNC cables to the cameras. The cameras would also need power. That makes them more cost & effort than IP cameras powered-over-Ethernet.

Firstly I must thank you VERY much for your detailed responses.
So the cameras should support RTSP over UDP...
I don't need to zoom-unzoom. So its ok by me if they see what they see.
I'm not designing an actual security system. I'm trying to make a theatrical production and I need to be able to mix live the input of CCTV cameras.
Quality isn't a concern as well due to the nature of the show, so SD is fine.
My first idea was to use IP wifi cameras, but there is a reliability issue there...
So what do you mean IP cameras powered over ethernet? What would be the setup of such a solution? (the connection between cameras and the LAPTOP I want to use)
Thanks again!
mjgraves  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 22, 2016 12:15:22 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Many people think that wireless cameras will be very easy & convenient. They're wireless, right? No wires. That overlooks the need for power.

Further, wireless networks are less than ideal for streaming media. Wired Ethernet is more reliable.

Many IP cameras can be powered via standard 802.11af power-over-Ethernet. That means that you only run one Ethernet cable to the camera. It gets power & connectivity over the network cable. One wire.

This requires that you use a P-O-E capable network switch. The switch provides power down the network to the cameras. Such switches are cheap and common these days.

My four Grandstream cameras connect to a small 8-port TPLink switch. It provides power on 4 of it's 8 ports.

UserPostedImage

Power-over-Ethernet is awesome. It's a great way to power IP cameras, IP phones & Wi-Fi access points. Anything that's going to be mounted in an awkward place benefits from receiving power over the network.

POE splitters allow you to derive power from the network to run things that are not themselves POE-enabled.

You can even get a POE adapter to power a Raspberry Pi. I use this with an RPi used as a music player.

Michael
Nejigs on 1/23/2016(UTC)
Nejigs  
#8 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2016 6:56:56 AM(UTC)
Nejigs

mjgraves wrote:
Many people think that wireless cameras will be very easy & convenient. They're wireless, right? No wires. That overlooks the need for power.

Further, wireless networks are less than ideal for streaming media. Wired Ethernet is more reliable.

Many IP cameras can be powered via standard 802.11af power-over-Ethernet. That means that you only run one Ethernet cable to the camera. It gets power & connectivity over the network cable. One wire.

This requires that you use a P-O-E capable network switch. The switch provides power down the network to the cameras. Such switches are cheap and common these days.

My four Grandstream cameras connect to a small 8-port TPLink switch. It provides power on 4 of it's 8 ports.

UserPostedImage

Power-over-Ethernet is awesome. It's a great way to power IP cameras, IP phones & Wi-Fi access points. Anything that's going to be mounted in an awkward place benefits from receiving power over the network.

POE splitters allow you to derive power from the network to run things that are not themselves POE-enabled.

You can even get a POE adapter to power a Raspberry Pi. I use this with an RPi used as a music player.

Michael

Hello! Thanks for your very useful reply.

So what I'm thinking to do.

i want to connect 3 cameras, so 4 poe ports are enough for me.

Will this work?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281907263564
Or I must go for this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...94fdd:g:B8MAAOSw3ydV3uGB

So I'll connect the laptop with a standard ethernet cable with the switch, right?

And then will I need a special ethernet cable for POE connection of the camera with the switch? Or a standard ethernet cable is sufficient for that?

Then I'll use a POE splitter like the one you suggested for each camera.
e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...b64c1:g:0n8AAMXQ1ZhTi1Bw

I won't need the POE injector right? (thats part of the switch's function, correct?)

So last thing the camera. It has to support RTSP and be able to be connected via RJ45 plug.

Will this camera be ok?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...c6e77:g:xNoAAOSwT6pVqLQg
If not can you propose a cheap alternative?

Thanks a whole lot!!!!!
mjgraves  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 23, 2016 6:27:08 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

- Either of those POE-capable switches would work

- A POE switch eliminates the need to POE insertors

- You don't need special cables to use POE

- That camera is NOT POE-capable. while you might be able to find a splitter that delivers the correct voltage with the appropriate connector, it seems like a complicating factor. Given that you're not already familiar with this stuff I recommend selecting a camera that clearly stated a supporting 802.11af power-over-Ethernet. It might cost a few dollars more, but it would be more likely to work without headaches.
Nejigs on 1/24/2016(UTC)
Nejigs  
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2016 3:15:20 AM(UTC)
Nejigs

mjgraves wrote:
- Either of those POE-capable switches would work

- A POE switch eliminates the need to POE insertors

- You don't need special cables to use POE

- That camera is NOT POE-capable. while you might be able to find a splitter that delivers the correct voltage with the appropriate connector, it seems like a complicating factor. Given that you're not already familiar with this stuff I recommend selecting a camera that clearly stated a supporting 802.11af power-over-Ethernet. It might cost a few dollars more, but it would be more likely to work without headaches.

Ok, so I guess this camera is ok:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/...b6d61:g:aH0AAOSwPcVVmiTI
I guess you mean 802.23AF and not 802.11af right?
This camera clearly mentions RTSP protocol is supported and POE is supported as well
and from the cable picture I guess I won't even need a POE splitter, right?

And this one
http://www.ebay.co.uk/it...8cfe5:g:T~MAAOSwoydWon-L
will work as well, right?

Last question and I'm done:
There is a choice at the lens I need to see from 0.5m up to 5m. Should I choose the standard 3.6mm lens or the 6mm or the 8mm?

Thank you for your patience!!!
Sometimes is a bless if you're ignorant... thats not the case here!
If you want you can PM me your address to send you a small present as a tiny thanks for your help :-)
mjgraves  
#11 Posted : Sunday, January 24, 2016 1:56:56 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

Nejigs wrote:

There is a choice at the lens I need to see from 0.5m up to 5m. Should I choose the standard 3.6mm lens or the 6mm or the 8mm?

I suspect that the 3.6mm lens would be a better choice. The 8mm lens tend to be used when the subject matter is more distant.

Since these are HD capable cameras and you envision an SD production, you can always crop & reposition the shots in vMix to deliver a more ideal result.
Nejigs on 1/24/2016(UTC)
Nejigs  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2016 4:09:31 AM(UTC)
Nejigs

mjgraves wrote:
Nejigs wrote:

I suspect that the 3.6mm lens would be a better choice. The 8mm lens tend to be used when the subject matter is more distant.

Since these are HD capable cameras and you envision an SD production, you can always crop & reposition the shots in vMix to deliver a more ideal result.

Hello again,

I got the camera.

I powered it with a 12V transformer and I connected it directly to the pc via ethernet.
It seems to be powering up properly.
Should it be visible at the computer devices like a printer etc?
It doesn't.

Then I opened vMix and I tried 2 things:
1. Add input-> Camera -> Camera , but I can't find my camera.
2. Add imput-> Stream -> RTSP over UDP, entered the camera in both formats: IP , tried again with IP:port number. Still no camera.

Am I doing something wrong?

Should I do a driver installation first prior to connecting the camera?

Thanks!
mjgraves  
#13 Posted : Saturday, February 13, 2016 3:42:59 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

You mention nothing about your network.

Does the power on network switch indicate the camera is connected? They normally have a status light for each port.

Does the camera get an IP address?

Do you have a router or DHCP server that issues IP addresses?

Can you ping the camera's IP address from the laptop?

These are common networking issues. They must be addressed before you can actually use the camera.
Kathy512  
#14 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2016 2:55:01 AM(UTC)
Kathy512

Nejigs wrote:
Hello,

has anybody tried to connect a CCTV wifi IP camera to vMix?

If yes which one has he used?

I try to make a theatrical project and connect 3 CCTV cameras to vMix on a laptop.

They cameras won't have to be wifi but I think its the easier way to connect them
to a lapotop.

If anyone has a budget non-wireless alternative please advice!!

Thanks!

Hello Nejigs,
I did this with the help of security service because I've already read an article about the disadvantages of installing a camera ourselves (http://protectionplus.ca/blog/disadvantages-home-security-systems/). I don't know how they did it but it is really working great.