logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
geoffreydean  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2016 11:27:04 AM(UTC)
geoffreydean

Groups: Registered

I am completely re-doing my live stage event video equipment kit. Nothing but tripods and extension cords will be retained from my standard definition system. My goals and needs are as follows:

System needs to be decently compact, easy to transport.

Switcher has to be rock solid reliable.

I don't have any live streaming work at the moment but I am going to try and market myself and see if there is any work to be had.

For on-location DVD production jobs like show choir competitions - System needs to be able to record standard definition video to SD cards

For all other jobs - System needs to have some sort of removal drive or external recorder for high-def

I already purchased two Sony EX1r cameras which have SDI out and can output SD and HD as needed.

I love the idea of the flexibility of a software system like vMix but wonder if an hardware based switcher would be more inline with my work? If I'd go with vMix: Is a powerful laptop Mac or PC, stable and reliable to work all day? Would a custom built rackmount PC be better?

www.indywebcast.com
www.chandlervideo.com
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2016 1:16:52 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ geoffreydean

Welcome to the forum!
We are not exactly a 'sales force' here, but rather a collection of vMix users that have either stumbled upon or converted to this powerful and cost effective software switcher that, in most of our estimations, blows away the competition. But having said that, I would say that most users here have limited or no experience with traditional/professional broadcast hardware switchers or industry "standards" with such things, and therein lies the opportunity to blaze new trails and do things differently, but also vMix works hard at adhering to most of the industry's 'common' practices and thus is still quite appealing to us traditionalists.
So depending on your workflow and specific "needs and wants", will likely determine how well vMix will work for you.
If you are coming from a 'hardware' background, you may have to make some adjustments or additional investments to replicate that with vMix (Control Surface).
If you are open to various solutions and options that vMix offers, then it might very well the perfect product for you.
The nice thing with vMix is that you can test it out for 60 days first and run it through it's paces to see if it meets your needs and/or determine what additional components you may require for your workflow.
I would suggest that vMix is fully capable of accomplishing pretty much whatever you are hoping to do with it from a "live" production standpoint, provided you equip it with the right tools for the job. As a piece of software, I am convinced it is 'Rock Solid', the 'hardware' you pair with it will likely be the "challenge" and this is where the forum can be the most help.
Alternatively, you could choose to invest in a 'turn-key' solution like the vMix Go which is tested and configured to work efficiently, but I think you will find most users here are relying on their own builds and/or purchased systems.
To answer your question about laptops vs desktop or rackmounts, well, yes, many are successfully using laptops, but it's not the fairest of comparisons, a desktop or rackmount is undoubtedly more configurable, customizable, versatile and ultimately can be built to be much more powerful, it's just not as convenient or compact as a laptop, and that is the trade-off.

Ice
geoffreydean  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2016 12:21:51 PM(UTC)
geoffreydean

IceStream,

Great reply. Thank you. This is so frustrating. I think I've done this same replace my SD gear marry-go-round every January for the past several years. I always throw up my hands and give up. I just bought a couple great cameras - Sony EX1r - and so I'm past the point of no return this time.

I'm leaning heavily towards a laptop & AJA lo4K and have some specific questions I think I should post to the equipment forum.