logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rinsky  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 31, 2015 11:53:06 PM(UTC)
Rinsky

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
What are the reasons to justify the huge price difference (almost 2000$!) between the Vmix Control Surface and a MIDI Controller (e.g. Akai APC 40 Mk2)? With the Akai APC 40 Mk2 I can not only switch the inputs, but also control audio. Okay it has no big fade lever, but besides that I think that it can do the same thing or am I missing something?
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2016 1:16:07 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Rinsky

I am kind of surprised you would ask such a question.
The simple answer is basic economics and economies of scale. These are two entirely different pieces of hardware designed for entirely different markets.
MIDI Controllers are mass produced and have a huge global market. The "vMix Control Surface" is built solely for vMix, if they could build and sell as many as a single brand of MIDI Controller, I am sure they would cost a lot less.
The fact that you can use a MIDI Controller as a "quasi" control surface with vMix is a wonderful benefit if it meets your needs and expectations, but please be reminded that they are not designed as such and you will not necessarily have access to or benefit from all the features these devices have (at least not yet).
The vMix Control Surface is designed more along the lines of a traditional hardware switcher and has no other reason to exist outside of vMix, so it does what it's supposed to do without any complicated mapping or extensive pre-programming from the get-go.
I would suggest trying a MIDI Controller for starters (as they are more affordable) and ascertain if it will work for you and your workflow. My experience has been somewhat mediocre and I am hesitant to use it in a professional environment simply because it has some "quirks" that must be adhered to and are otherwise not "fool proof" during a "Live" production which can appear "amateurish".
If I had enough justification to purchase the vMix Control Surface, I would do so in a heartbeat, it's the right tool for the job (I am a traditionalist), until then, I'll continue using my keyboard and my smartphone.

Just my thoughts.

Ice
tnorrell  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2016 4:56:47 AM(UTC)
tnorrell

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
First and foremost, faders will NEVER be as cool as a classic t-bar. Let's just set that out there and let it be what it is...

After 50 years of video switching board design, do you think the style of the buttons and the t-bar are just an accident? NO! I can confidently sit at a ross, grass valley, new-tek, etc and know EXACTLY if my finger is on a button, or a bar. by rocking my finger back and forth you can tell if your finger is on program or preview. I don't need to look at my board, and that makes me a faster TD. I can now do more things, call more shots, monitor more inputs, all because id on't have to look at the control surface.

Now, there are going to be some who will say "but I'm able to do all that on my $90 plastic midi controller!", as well you may. No one else will be able to sit down at your box and take it over and instinctively as if you had a control surface....

If your surface works for you, man... knock yourself out! If you've found bit of plastic that floats your board, YAY! But trust me when I say that there is wisdom in the design of a real control surface. I'm not just being an old far when I tell you that a dedicated purpose driven control surface makes the TD better at his/her job.

And never forget... T-bars are cool!
jhebbel  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2016 9:25:42 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
Its primarily a matter of ergonomics and tactile feedback, that aside a MIDI controller can do all of the same exact things and in many cases even more due to the increased number of mappable controls on most MIDI devices. So it really comes down to; T-bars are cool, but are they $2000 cool? In my office studio the answer is yes, for my portable productions the answer however is no and I sick to me Akai APC 40 fro that.
Speegs  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2016 9:33:46 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
< $10, 101 Key computer IBM Keyboards work just fine.

What's wrong with asdfghjk? Don't use a T Bar often at all, I like fast cuts. Must be what I use Vmix for, simple push button cuts work for me.

It's great Vmix has options. Use what you like :) A $10 Keyboard is all that is really required, the rest is fluff. Spend the other $1990 on a better computer loaded with SSDs :)
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Friday, January 1, 2016 12:12:56 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Speegs

It should be noted that the keyboard has limitations as well, specifically, the vMix UI window has to be the active window for keyboard shortcuts to work which can be very frustrating in a "Live" situation. Having a "Go-to" control surface, whether hardware or touch screen web interface is highly beneficial.

Ice