logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
g-mo  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2015 5:41:32 PM(UTC)
g-mo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
We've run into some licensing issues with youtube and we're looking for some alternatives.

Is anyone using AWS (Amazon web services and cloudfront) to stream?

Kelvin  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 1:43:15 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
What type of licensing issues did you run into with Youtube? I recently did a 3-day waterski tournament and was forced to use youtube due to issues with my primary service. The live broadcast was fine, but there was copyrighted music playing over the PA system that was flagged by youtube and the audio was muted on the recorded version. For some of the segments of less than 2 hours in length, youtube has a setting that attempted to remove the offending songs. That was hit or miss. For segments longer than 2 hours, youtube wouldn't even attempt to remove the offending songs from the audio. Unfortunately, one day I had no hiccups on the stream - now I have a 10 hour recording on youtube with no audio. Fortunately, in my case, the live broadcast is what the viewers really want to see.
g-mo  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 4:12:31 PM(UTC)
g-mo

Kelvin wrote:
What type of licensing issues did you run into with Youtube? I recently did a 3-day waterski tournament and was forced to use youtube due to issues with my primary service. The live broadcast was fine, but there was copyrighted music playing over the PA system that was flagged by youtube and the audio was muted on the recorded version. For some of the segments of less than 2 hours in length, youtube has a setting that attempted to remove the offending songs. That was hit or miss. For segments longer than 2 hours, youtube wouldn't even attempt to remove the offending songs from the audio. Unfortunately, one day I had no hiccups on the stream - now I have a 10 hour recording on youtube with no audio. Fortunately, in my case, the live broadcast is what the viewers really want to see.

We ran into exactly the same issue. I used an audio gate once I realized it was happening and that pretty much corrected the issue. That's the biggest downfall of using YouTube imo.
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 5:25:14 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ g-mo

Can you elaborate on how you set-up your 'noise gate' to eliminate copyrighted BG music?
I'm not exactly clear on how this is possible during an interview or live play-by-play commentary where a PA system is blaring in the background, or maybe I've misunderstood you.

Ice
g-mo  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2015 5:48:31 PM(UTC)
g-mo

We do a mix minus with just race commentators (no music) and sometimes the PA bleeds through those mics causing the issue for us. The levels are usually pretty low....maybe -8db or even lower. I just set up the gate to cut anything off at that level and lower.