logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nsb  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 6, 2012 12:42:24 PM(UTC)
nsb

Groups: Registered

Hey,
I'm going to do a livestream for a client pretty soon. It will involve a PowerPoint presentation grabbed with the VGA2USB grabber. Video input is S-video. The vMix setup is this:

I've made an individual input for the VGA2USB and for the S-video. But I would also like to combine the inputs into one video frame. Therefore I've also made an input based on the Multi View function. I've composed the input with the PowerPoint to the left and the S-video input to right.

The problem/question is this: In the Multi View input I would like to crop the S-video, so that only the central part of the video frame is being shown. But the crop-buttons doesn't work in Multi View. The only way to crop the video is to do it directly in the S-video input. The problem is that when I crop the S-video, there's no way to switch to an uncropped S-video picture. Is there a solution to this??

Thanx for your time :-)
h2video.nl  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:31:43 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Hi Copenhagen,

I frequently use the following method:

I capture the powerpoint using the desk capture option, but using a vga grabber is also possible

I make an overlay and adjust the settings: the powerpoint is overlay on the video. This way you crop the video by overlaying it with the powerpoint input.

I can switch to full screen any time since I did not change anythin on the input like cropping.

You can adjust the overlay in the overlay settings changing the size and position of the inputs. Just play around and when you have a match save it as a preset. VMIX will remember the sizes, just assign the inputs when you start a capture project.

See help for more info on the overlays and the settings

good luck
Stefan
thanks 1 user thanked h2video.nl for this useful post.
nsb on 11/7/2012(UTC)
nsb  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2012 3:13:34 AM(UTC)
nsb

Hi Stefan,
that sounds like the exactly the right way to handle the issue, perfect.

Thank you so much :-)

Nicolai
h2video.nl  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2012 5:33:18 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Hi Nicolai,

Your welcome!

just try out the desktop capturing option: it is really great reliable and very clear: you can capture 25 frames in high quality JPEG. I connect two computers / laptops with a single network cable make a dedicated connections and run the desktop capture tool on the laptop with the powerpoint. I that make the desktop connection and overlay this on an new input.

The new input is a image input and I overlay two inputs: video (1) and the desktop (2 so ontop) the desktop will crop the video and I record a little bit offest (when in 16:9).

The good thing is this is all included in VMIX! and really sets this system apart.

Good luck with it.

Stefan
nsb  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2012 3:24:03 PM(UTC)
nsb

Hi Stefan,
I really appreciate your tips. I haven't used the overlay function that much, but you made me check it out more. And it turns out that it works perfect for this, as you suggested it would.

What I've done is this: I created a black mask/frame in a photo editor and use that along with the S-video and PowerPoint inputs. Then I use the overlay function where I put the S-video as the bottom layer, then the black mask as overlay 1 to frame the right side of the video and then I use the 4:3 PowerPoint as the overlay 2 on the left side. This way I get a nice looking black frame around all the inputs. I'll still need to do some minor adjustments, but this was definitely the way to go.

I haven't considered using the remote desktop capture function in vMix, but it sounds really promising if you can get a high quality 25 frame capture just using a LAN-cable. I guess you'll have to use a LAN to USB converter since there's only one port available on most laptops (and it will be used for the internet connection). I'll check this out for shure!

Thanx again for these tips!

//Nicolai
nsb  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2012 5:00:27 PM(UTC)
nsb

Alright, just looked at the remote desktop capture function. It seems like vMix needs to be installed on both computers in order to capture the remote desktop. Unfortunately it wont be possible since the remote desktop is on my clients computer. But it would have been nice to skip the VGA2USB device.. :-)
ask  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:31:07 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
The desktop captue app works on its own and runs fine off a USB stick. It is a great tool.
ask  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:32:59 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
The desktop capture app works on its own and runs fine off a USB stick. It is a great tool.

Martin, just a question on it. Would it be possible to build the capture tool so that it can be seen as a camera in other applications such as Skype? Much like the vMix external output does.
h2video.nl  
#9 Posted : Friday, November 9, 2012 4:34:07 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Hi Nicolai,

You don't need anything else but a short standard Cat5 internet cable to connect two computers (the cards are automatically switching to a local setting). Just make a local connection (it will go automatic!) be sure it's a trusted network (home or work) so both computers can see each other.

Then you start only the desktop capture program on the powerpoint computer and vmix on the recorder.

That's all: just select desktop capture on Vmix and you will see the computer connected.

I set the screen size on the PP computer to match the powerpojnt size usually 1024 * 768 and this will fit in perfect in your overlay. VIX will recognize that frame size so you have no letterbox of black sides.

And remember: if you want the computer to be on the other side of the room you can use a long cable or use a local wifi network. If you don't want the wifi suppied you just use a separate wifi hub (just install your own and use as a local wifi). But using a cble is the easiest and most reliable (and CAT5 is cheaper than a long VGA cable to a beamer or something).

Good luck.

PS your overlay setup is exactly as I use it: so you got the trick!

Stefan