logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HWL1223  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2015 11:35:42 PM(UTC)
HWL1223

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I have several questions that I am trying to get answer for.

1. I am using multiple BM MiniRecorders. Input->Camera: what do the names refer to and how do I purge them?
I saw this was briefly touched on in the "Which Decklink Device to Use?" post...however, in BM Media Express, my cards are only called MiniRecorder (no numbers).
Specifically I have/see: WDM Capture 2 & 3, Decklink Min (1) 2, and (2) 3, and Decklink Video Capture, (2) and (3). Why not just one input and one number? With pro gear as a source, there is no input on WDM, but I get identical looking pics on the associated MiniRecorder & Video Capture selection, which doesnt seem to follow the physical PCIe port number.
Anybody know either how to purge the names or numbers or why the number scheme exists like that?

2. A Canon XF305 reports it outputs 1920x1080 @ 60i. My VideoAssist says its 1920x1080 @ 59.94i. Only a BM input to vMix at 59.94i works (on either the Decklink VC or MiniRecorder). And vMix says its at 29.97. Whats up with all that?

These issues do not stop a production but they sure make for wasted-time for crew-calls and issues in setup, as I am always in a new environment and never know what Im going to see.

Thanks
HWL1223  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2015 11:33:52 PM(UTC)
HWL1223

Man

bump?
admin  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2015 11:52:09 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4173 time(s) in 1498 post(s)
Hi,

Use the "Decklink Mini" options in vMix if possible.
The numbering is done by the driver so we have little control over it, but you can click the Pencil icon
in the Add Input -> Camera window to give them recognisable names.

As for frame rates, even though the cameras says 60i, it is actually 59.94i and this is what needs to be selected in vMix.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
HWL1223 on 12/17/2015(UTC)
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2015 4:08:09 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
@HWL regarding the device (camera) names. As Martin says the device names (including their numbering) are originally made up by the driver. vMix remembers the name in the preset file, eg 'OriginalTitle="SA7160 PCI, Analog Capture (#01)"'. These default OriginalTitles are what you see, and can choose from, when you add a camera Input.

But, AFAIK vMix also create a key identifier, eg 'Key="c0692fc5-e0e5-497c-bd95-d9f5dd1cb6c5"'. And when you load a preset the key is what vMix looks for - not the OriginalTitle. Unfortunately, the same hardware with the same device name on a different PC, or if connected to a different USB/Thunderbolt port on the same PC, typically gets a different key. Which means that vMix does not find the camera, and upon loading the preset marks it as "offline". Even though there is a device there with the same name as in the preset file.

In order to fix some of these problems for us, and our operators, I have filed the Feature Request Improved "offline" camera handling. Please take a look and give your vote/comment.
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
elvaquero  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2015 5:48:39 PM(UTC)
elvaquero

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
admin wrote:
Hi,

Use the "Decklink Mini" options in vMix if possible.

vMix

I also have multiple Decklink Mini Recorders and would like to know what is the benefit to using "Decklink Mini Recorder" as opposed to "Decklink Video capture" as cam input options.

Thanks!
HWL1223  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2015 6:04:06 PM(UTC)
HWL1223

Man

on the same note, as a dealer I have been using Blackmagic PCIe devices, but - does any other capture card auto recognize or set-up more easily than the BM cards in multi-card setups? (I need at least 3 HD-SDI in's).

I am satisfied with the BM image, but there is the time wasting "which card is it, what is the signal format and resolution" handshake using Media Express that accompanies every setup. And sometimes (for me at least) thats not clear or easy when configuring streaming, recording and going external simultaneously. I have the VideoAssist to at least verify the input now, so "I got that going for me".

I have used Osprey and Aver with no problems but only single-cards, so I am not aware of the multi card or multi-input setup (or lack of).

At least Martin's software works primo!

Thanks
sinc747  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2015 10:36:42 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 197 time(s) in 163 post(s)
HWL wrote:
on the same note, as a dealer I have been using Blackmagic PCIe devices, but - does any other capture card auto recognize or set-up more easily than the BM cards in multi-card setups? (I need at least 3 HD-SDI in's).

I am satisfied with the BM image, but there is the time wasting "which card is it, what is the signal format and resolution" handshake using Media Express that accompanies every setup. And sometimes (for me at least) thats not clear or easy when configuring streaming, recording and going external simultaneously. I have the VideoAssist to at least verify the input now, so "I got that going for me".

I have used Osprey and Aver with no problems but only single-cards, so I am not aware of the multi card or multi-input setup (or lack of).

At least Martin's software works primo!

Thanks

The Magewell Pro Capture line offers this feature. From their site:

Multiple Cards per System
Support for multiple cards plugged to one system
On-board rotary switch to set card number, with 16 positions from 0 to F
System hardware device tree will display “01: Pro Capture AIO” when rotary switch is set to 1, and so on
The video and audio device names displayed in your software will include the card number (set by the rotary switch)

Makes it easy!

- Tom
thanks 1 user thanked sinc747 for this useful post.