logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mixman  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2015 9:14:49 PM(UTC)
mixman

Groups: Registered

Greetings
My first post! Just trying vMix with an epiphan av.io HD capture device and I am getting video and audio into the computer but I'm having problems with the audio settings in Windows,(I think). I'm just trying to get my main stereo speakers working properly with 1 input to vMix. I have a video playing on input 1 coming from the capture device. In Windows Sound Properties I have the 'microphone' input from av.io device set as the recording source and my stereo speakers as the playback device. Problem is I can always hear the audio coming from the speakers. I thought windows should be set up to hear the output of vMix, so when I mute the audio in vMix I hear nothing but I don't see vMix as a playback device in Sound Properites, should I?? Any tips you can give me. This should be pretty basic but I can't seem to sort it out.

Also in Performance Statistics I'm getting Source Dropped values constantly increasing.
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2015 10:10:29 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
Hi mixman, welcome to the vMix forums.

Can you elaborate a little more about your system specs, your set-up and your issue. I'm not sure I fully understand what you are describing or what you are hoping to achieve.
Typically, your speakers will play whatever you have routed to them, and AFAIK the default setting in vMix is your 'Default Windows Playback Device'
(Go to 'Settings/Audio Outputs' for Audio routing options)
So whatever is playing in vMix should be audible over your speakers (normal default settings)
If you have added your 'av.io' device as a Camera 'Input' in vMix, it likely has Video with an Audio source (you have options here but by default it will choose 'Built In Audio')
If I follow your description correctly, it sounds like you have routed your 'microphone' from the 'av.io' through 'Windows Sound Properties' first (essentially by-passing vMix) and so as I understand it, you can't control the audio in vMix.
But maybe I better let you explain it again in more detail, cuz I'm not sure if that is the problem or not.

Ice
mixman  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 12, 2015 11:35:14 PM(UTC)
mixman

Hi Ice
Ok, I set settings/audio outputs to default like you said, which are my speakers. I closed the input 1 source and added it again using "built in audio" and now I still hear the audio out the speakers but vMix sees no audio at all. No audio shows on the audio meters. I guess I still hear it because I've set my sound recording source to the av.io 'microphone'. So as you said I have bypassed vMix by routing the 'microphone' into windows. So how do I not bypass vMix,to send vMix main output to my speakers? I guess that's the main problem.
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2015 12:09:48 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ mixman

I am not familiar with the AV.io HD device, I assume it is USB???
What happens when you plug it in to your PC?
I would suggest not routing anything in "Windows Sound Properties" or doing anything at all with regards to 'Windows' prompts about the device, but rather add it as a Camera 'Input' in vMix first and see if that solves your issue. (assuming you have already removed it as 'Windows recording source')
What exactly are you connecting to the AV.io HD capture device?

Ice
mixman  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 13, 2015 12:17:50 AM(UTC)
mixman

Yes, it's usb3. It appears to windows as a camera like you said. No drivers required. Uses built-in windows usb drivers. So every time I connect it I get no notification, just like connecting a usb drive. I am adding it as a camera source from the start so that's ok. I just got a dvd player hdmi output feeding the unit which then feeds the usb3 to a usb3 hub on my computer.

Update - ok, now I'm getting somewhere. I went thru the manual and changed some settings, especially the Settings/Audio Outputs, if the Master Output and Headphones are set to the same thing (Default windows playback device), the Headphones takes precedence. So that's why I was not getting any audio shown on the meters I suspect.

As of now, the meters are working good but I'm getting audio echo. In the Audio Mixer, I can see the Master Slider and the av.io source slider. If I mute one or the other, the Master meters turn off and the echo goes away. So what's happening here to cause the echo?

Update again - Had to turn off "listen to this device" in windows sound recording microphone, that removed the echo. Now when I mute vMix, my audio on the speakers mutes also. I think that's it for now.