logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikekay  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2015 7:37:05 PM(UTC)
mikekay

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I can get a good deal on the following computer: THINKSTATION D20 4155-F1U 6-Core Xeon X5650 2.66GHz 16G 500G DVDRW WIN 7 PRO.

Does vMix work with dual CPUs? It is not on their list of supported hoardware, but has anybody tried?

I am looking to build a honking system for vMix. I have one system working well, but want a second fall over computer.

Thanks.
SportsNetUSA.net  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2015 8:12:27 PM(UTC)
SportsNetUSA.net

Was thanked: 123 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I noticed a couple of posts where vMix users are using dual Xeon systems, so they must have had success with them. Perhaps Speegs or IceStream can give you a definitive answer on possible issues.
mikekay  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2015 8:38:55 PM(UTC)
mikekay

Great to hear this might be a go. Thanks for the reply. I'll wait around and see if there is more information on this. Got one chance to get the new build right.
Kelvin  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2015 9:24:03 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
What graphics card is in the system? Many of the workstations run Quadro cards that are more suited to business graphics. vMix utilizes the gaming capabilities of the Nvidia Geforce GTX cards. That is the one thing I did to upgrade a dual xeon Dell T7500 system I purchased last year.
Speegs  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 9, 2015 10:38:58 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
SportsNetUSA.net wrote:
I noticed a couple of posts where vMix users are using dual Xeon systems, so they must have had success with them. Perhaps Speegs or IceStream can give you a definitive answer on possible issues.

I have not used dual physical CPUs in Vmix.

I can't see any reason why Vmix wouldn't use a second CPU and just see them as more cores available. Pretty much all operating systems I've worked with, mostly linux and Windows Server operating system just see another physical CPU as another bucket of CPU Cores at it's disposal.

So it's really a matter of does Windows version you are intending to run recognize your CPUs correctly.

From what I've read Windows 7 Pro might be required for more than one physical CPU. I've read conflicting information. I'd go toward Windows Pro 64-bit if you wanted to stick with Windows 7. Can't really see any reason not to use Windows 10 myself except it does do some updating in the background that might need to be disabled.
mikekay  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 10, 2015 1:07:43 PM(UTC)
mikekay

A quick check and it does appear that W7 Pro 64 bit supports multi-processors, but it can be a problem depending on systemboard and bios configuration. Yes, a new graphics card would be added to the system, and it the entire system would be removed from the Lenovo case and placed into a 4U rackmount server case.

Still thinking about this....