logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jhebbel  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2015 4:42:16 PM(UTC)
jhebbel

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I'm not sure if I missed something or if the developers just haven't coded this functionality, But it would be nice If I could bind an audio source to a virtual input. Example case; I have a panel where I have a single HD camera that handles closeups of each panel member by means of cropping the picture to just them. Thus one camera handles 6-7 shots. I also have isolated audio channels for each panel member and would like to bind that audio channel to the virtual input.
ovinas  
#2 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2015 3:41:07 PM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Use triggers on the virtual inputs.
1. OnTransitionIn - AudioOn - AudioInput_x
2. OnTransitionOut - AudioOff - AudioInput_x

But: I would never go that route with panels. Are you really sure that only the person that is live on cam would speak and no other one?
jhebbel  
#3 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2015 3:45:58 PM(UTC)
jhebbel

ovinas wrote:
Use triggers on the virtual inputs.
1. OnTransitionIn - AudioOn - AudioInput_x
2. OnTransitionOut - AudioOff - AudioInput_x

But: I would never go that route with panels. Are you really sure that only the person that is live on cam would speak and no other one?

I don't want the audio to only be audible when that shot is used, I just want it so that all the channels line up with my virtual shots and audio respectively, otherwise my options are to manually re-map my controls for each event which is not possible due to set up time and "surprise" guests, or to just allow my virtual shots to push my audio inputs past my controller 8ch limit and just do the mouse and keyboard, which is ridiculous. This wouldn't be an issue in a traditional "layered" driven software as you can just set a layer for audio input thus all shots correspond with their own dedicated audio.
admin  
#4 Posted : Friday, November 6, 2015 5:42:32 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Layers in vMix are called MultiView/Overlay, from Input Settings (cog icon under the input) select MultiView tab
and then add any audio sources you want to use for that input.

jhebbel  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2015 9:02:35 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

admin wrote:
Layers in vMix are called MultiView/Overlay, from Input Settings (cog icon under the input) select MultiView tab
and then add any audio sources you want to use for that input.

Doing that does not actually give input 2 and audio controls, I'm not sure if it accomplishes anything really. For example if I have 1 master shot then 7 virtual shots that are closeups of panel members, the 7 mic inputs are still on inputs 9-16 making them out of reach for most MIDI devices unless I manually re map for each show, and unfortunately I dont have the time to re-map all of my activators sliders and knobs for each and every mic each time I do an event, setting up the MIDI on my device is a time consuming endeavor that I would like to be set-once and forget it.

Idealy since you guys are not using the "layers" type of workflow, I should have a audio source option for each and every input in my tray, even static photos should give me the option to add an audio source even if it is just an flac or mp3.
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2015 9:39:06 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ jhebbel

To be fair, you didn't mention anything about controlling audio with a smaller MIDI device in your OP...
Never-the-less, the methodology suggested still stands, you can ADD an 'Audio Input' to any input through the 'MultiView' feature.
The reverse is possible too, you can ADD any visual 'Input' to an 'Audio Input' the same way.
I am not clear on your MIDI mapping restrictions or exactly how you intend to do your set-up, but based on what you have described, it should be possible to accomplish with vMix.

Ice
jhebbel  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 7, 2015 11:07:18 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

The later might work, adding the virtual input to the audio source, the first suggestion did not (adding the audio to the input) as the input did not recognize and pass my MIDI volume controls to the audio source. My gear is still packed from a show last night, but I will test it further today. Even if this works, I still put it to you guys that using multiview, while it may work, feels hackish and there should be the ability to actually select an audio source from some sort of drop-down. But for now I'll take anything that works.

An additional note: even though adding the camera to the audio source works better than nothing, I still lose some control over the shot such as keying and cropping the master through MIDI, just as I lose a lot of audio controls if I bind vice-versa