logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pts211  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 30, 2015 9:38:15 AM(UTC)
pts211

Groups: Registered
Man

Hey all,

I'm currently evaluating vMix for use at a live event with a simple enough setup. I have two inputs, a GoPro and a lower third overlay that needs to be output to some in-house screens. I'd be switching between a couple other inputs, but those are the only two that I need to get with capture hardware.

I have two input devices:
-Matrox MXo2 Mini Max
-Blackmagic DeckLink Mini Recorder

I've been doing a bunch of testing with the Matrox box and some old cameras and so far have found that I love the software. After landing on vMix I went and bought a GoPro Hero 4 Black and the DeckLink recorder with the goal of doing a 1080p60 workflow.

Everything came yesterday and after installing the DeckLink and connecting the GoPro I found that vMix won't let me open the DeckLink at the 1080p60 setting, or ANY other 1080 setting... (I tried the GoPro at various settings 1080p60/48/30/24) and I'm pretty sure I tried most of the vMix input settings. The DeckLink has a little program that just tells me the resolution of my input source and it recognized virtually all the other GoPro output options. In the end, I was able to get the GoPro input in vMix using 720p (1280x720/60p) with the GoPro set to either 1080 or 720.

Does anyone have any idea's how to get the GoPro to work with the 1080 settings?

Also, on the input drop-down I have three options:
- Blackmagic WDM Capture
- DeckLink Mini Recorder
- DeckLink Video Capture
Does it matter which one I use? I tested the settings on the "Blackmagic WDM Capture" and the "DeckLink Video Capture" options.

Note: that I am currently using the vMix trial.

The community that this software has (plus the features of course) is what brought me here. Now I just have to put it to the test!

Best,
Paul
thecloudmediagroup  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 1, 2015 1:19:59 AM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I know that there has been issues with GoPro cameras with the Black Magic capture cards. There is an issue with Black Magic not correctly recognizing the EDID from the GoPro and only allowing it to display 59.94i regardless of the resolution selected on the camera. That has been our experience at least. I haven't heard of any issues with the Matrox capture however.
h2video.nl  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 1, 2015 1:55:10 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
some bm cards have a limitation on the input and I also have the experience the go pro will only work at 720p50 resolution (pal). they might be able to record 1080p but not able to output. its trial and error.

but why use a gorpo as a main camera? I use it as a b cam with the wide fish eye 170 degree fov setting and don't see any difference on the end product using 720p.

better use a simple camera that can also zoom etc. as a mains.

if you want it simple and cheap and good and 1080p I have good experiences with the logitech c920 webcam. it was a pain in windows 8 but in win10 i get 1080p with no ptoblem. and you can pan and zoom using controls even from within vmix and they practically give this thing away. no need for expensive input cards and all.

and if you have a spare webcam lying around just try it on first and make it a multicam.

for now in trying mode: if it works it works. vmix will eat practically eveything, it susually the limitations of the input cards,and the output of the camera. the gopro was not designed for this so there will be limitations.

greetings,
stefan
jhebbel  
#4 Posted : Sunday, November 1, 2015 8:28:46 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
GoPro HD's, especially the 4+ Black, have great HDR capabilities, makes the shot much more crisp than any webcam can get.
h2video.nl  
#5 Posted : Sunday, November 8, 2015 2:48:51 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
hi, i recently did a livestream and recording using the gopro 4 silver as a b cam on the stage in 720p50 mode. the gopro was wirelessly connected to the vmix recorder mixer using a nirius hdmi wireless system. everything worked flawlessly. you can have a look at this presentation where you see the gopro pointing at the audience in action. with the wide 170degree view i can get the complete audience in the picture including the speaker.

the gopro was attatched by a sucktion pad on the right of the stage so with minimal material. very happy with this nice and simple small little camera.

positive pressure ventilation